SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

One of my Neofinitia falcata orchids has flower spikes!

Woo hoo!

If all goes well I'll snap pics when it blooms and let everyone know my thoughts on its scent. :)

-Robert

Comments (46)

• fenius
    10 years ago

I'm sooooooooooooooo jealous robert!! who's the cutepaws posing in vain for you to take a pic??

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, fenius! I left them out when we had cool evenings (40's and 50's) hoping to induce flowering and I'd like to think it worked! :)

The cute paws belong to the cutest dog on the planet (IMO), Frida. She always seems to be popping up in my photo shoots wondering what's all the fuss about? ;)

Here's one of her walking into my pic of my Plumeria 'California Sunset'.

-Robert

• Related Discussions

HELP please!!!! My orchid spike broke

Q

Comments (7)
    I accidentally broke off the tip of my flower spike that was growing. I was so sad. I left it alone and in about 3 weeks it sprouted out of the broken stem! It is growing a little sideways but I am not touching it. Im so excited as this is my first time growing a flower stem.
    ...See More

Spikes on my orchids

Q

Comments (5)
    Good growing! :) My phals do exactly the same thing - no worries. I think it depends on light levels, nutrients and a whole bunch of other stuff....my friend's mom who grows phals in less light compared to me have phal spikes which branch after bloomings over and over....so I'm wildly going to guess that spikes will keep going if the plant feels like it can't be bothered to make a new one but it has enough 'fuel' to keep blooming. If the plant is really healthy and feels like it can make a new spike, maybe it'll just discard the old one?
    ...See More

my orchid is growing a orchid.....on the flower spike

Q

Comments (1)
    Its called a keiki, and it is indeed a new plant. It can be likened to the baby plants that sprout from spider plant stems. Eventually, probably early next spring, it will have sufficient enough roots you will be able to remove it from the mother plant and pot it on its own. Look under the FAQ's at the very first and 2nd question. They can answer some of your questions.
    ...See More

Odd flower spike on my oncidium

Q

Comments (60)
    Very beautiful flowers CJ! I have (had) one almost exact like that. Re bloomed for me one time last year. I split the plant to give one to my friend as a favor. The other half is barely surviving right now but produced some young shoot. I am nurturing them like a baby because I love the flowers. I don't think it liked the heat I had in my sun room that much either. I am very watchful this year. If the heat in the sun room goes up to 27 degrees. I move them into my living room instead... Don't want any more damage. The flowers are very striking! I want to ask you all a question about put them outside. I heard some of you said you leave the orchids outside in summer and bring them in when the weather starts to get cold or cool down. What about rain? We all know and talked about don't let water gets in the crown of the orchids otherwise it will rot the leaves. How can they survive with rain pour on them? Or you do shelter them under some kind of protection? Please let me know. Tanie
    ...See More
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And here's one where I'm torturing her by picking her up and whispering sweet nothings into her ears. Laugh.

-Robert

• botaniphile
    10 years ago

Super cute! And of course I'm jealous of your neofinetia!

Stephanie

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Steph!

So how come you haven't broken down and ordered one yet? I've read they smell like a mixture of jasmine, vanilla and coconut!

-Robert

Original Author
    10 years ago

This link should tempt you into ordering one. Hee hee. :)

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: Neofinetia falcata âShutennoâ

• greendale
    10 years ago

Hi, Robert :
    I just want to comment on your plumeria, such a nice specimen, I am so tempt to try one now i see yours. I have been hold myself back because I do not know what to do with it in the winter. sorry if that off the orchid topic. I would not dare to think about orchid at all :)

Original Author
    10 years ago

greendale,

Not off topic at all! It's a free for all as long as they're fragrant! Laugh.

You can keep plumerias inside or in a basement over the winter (I keep all mine in the basement).
    Just stop watering them before freezing weather hits and move them inside and forget about them until spring. :)

And Neofinetia falcata are very easy orchids to try! I have them in a wooden slat basket in a cattleya potting mix. I just hose 'em down a couple times a day.
    You can also grow them mounted on wood or in pots that you can house over the winter in a sunny window.

-Robert

• greendale
    10 years ago

Has your "California Sunset" flowered for your already? I can not believe how large the leaves are. And the leaves are in a perfect state.

I have a list of vendors that Laura (from this forum) gave to me last winter, but I think I missed the window to order them as I was on vacation last month. (Think about shipping a stick is better then shipping a rooted and leafed out plant). Now I am inching for a Plumeria.

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Robert did you say jasmine, vanilla and coconut? Pineapple and coconut are my favorite scents! That was why I went nuts over JJ's Rhonda last year.

Well I must get one then. :)

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Forgot to ask where to buy fragrant orchids? :)

Thanks!

• fenius
    10 years ago

I will ask laura for her plumeria vendors too in case they are willing to ship cuttings over here.. No clue your new collection is wonderful with such big plants!! You have a great fragrant nursery
    Robert, she is the cutest!! Did you start a thread with plumeria fragrance notes sometime or I imagined it??(wishful thinking!)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Greendale,

My California Sunset plumeria bloomed all of last year (see attached pic).
    The scent is not as strong as others like Celadine or Dwarf Deciduous White. There are tons of fragrant plumies to choose from. I'm hoping to sniff my Pink Kiss, Daeng Maha Choke (aka Bangkok Fire), Chiang Mai Rainbow, Gold Coast Peachy, etc. this year. Laugh.

No-Clue,

There are tons of places to order fragrant orchids online! eBay has lots of Neofinetia falcata right now. :)

fenius,

Once more of my plumies bloom I'll post a thread about my thoughts on their scents. :)

-Robert

• greendale
    10 years ago

So your C. Sunset blooms for you the first year you got it ?that's awesome. I will be on the look out for some plumeria next spring. Can not wait for you post on their scents. That C. Sunset flower by itself is pretty through - I might just get that one already . :)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Yup. Bought it blooming and it continued blooming all summer!
    The best part of California Sunset is how the colors change with the amount of heat it receives. Hotter temperatures bring our more reds and pinks like in the attached photo snapped on the 4th of July (my own fireworks!). :)

-Robert

• roseyd
    10 years ago

Robert, I'm in shock - I don't know why I thought you'd be a cute Asian guy with floppy hair. :) I guess you must have said something over the past year that reminded me of an Anime character.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Rosey,

Ha! Too funny. You must be thinking about Kemistry!
    I'm the farthest from that. Tall skinny white guy with a bald head. ;)
    Floppy hair would be nice but it would probably get in my face too much when I'm inspecting the plants and you know us gardeners don't like anything messing with our fixations. :)

-Robert

Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, yea. Here's a current pic of my neo.
    Every day I stare at it wondering if tonight it will finally open and spread forth the delicious perfume I've been reading about. Laugh.

-Robert

• roseyd
    10 years ago

pretty. :) I hope they'll open soon, you'll have to describe the scent when they do. :)

floppy hair is always nice. but I'm the same way - can't stand hair in my face. Is it because of the flowers, no. It's just annoying, is all. I don't know how some people can just ignore it flopping around - and it always looks good - when I just find the feel of the stuff flopping to be ultra-annoying.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Yup! I feel the same way about jewelry. Can't stand rings or bracelets and even necklaces (well a short necklace is tolerable for an evening I suppose).
    I like to dig down into the earth with my bare hands and I don't want anything impeding that. Laugh.

Looked at the neo today and maybe just maybe one will open tonight. Who knows! :)

At least the Cestrum nocturnum opened last night. My partner goes ga ga over that scent.

-Robert

• roseyd
    10 years ago

my African Jasmine's been flowering - my cestrum is growing leaves again. (I moved the cestrum downstairs so that my cat would stop eating it.) It's one step closer to going outside.

I love jewelry, but I don't wear much. 3 years since my apartment was burglarized and I lost almost everything - and, broken hearted - I haven't replaced it. Doesn't seem a point to it - knowing that I still live in the same place, and it could happen again.

I'm in the midst of mid-life crisis. I texted Mike M yesterday to tell him that, and he laughed at me. (well, maybe it was the second line he laughed at - when I shared - "I just bought a convertible!") All the money I used to put into yearly jewelry purchases is going to a different purpose.

I just need a scarf and some big-bird sunglasses and a sunny weekend, and I'm looking forward to my first drive with the top down. :)

• roseyd
    10 years ago

I'm also going to have to bring out my Stevie B cd - I wonder where I put it? :)

Nothing says summer like Stevie B... Prince ... The talking heads ... and all those other golden oldies. Yeah - I've a thing for 80s music. :)

• roseyd
    10 years ago

logees trip, anyone? :)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Ha! Nothing says mid-life crisis like a Logee's trip in a convertible while blasting Stevie B and Prince! ;)

• roseyd
    10 years ago

I got a better addition to that line.

Nothing says midlife crises like a logees trip in a convertible while blasting Stevie B and Prince, with ... eye-candy in the passenger seat to share the trip. :D

I need me some eye- candy, next! :) Wonder where I would buy that???? :)

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

What Logee's trip? I want to come! Not at mid-life crisis yet but I can be! LOL

• roseyd
    10 years ago

Ok No-Clue - you can be the manditory eye-candy, so I can have company while headbopping to the golden' oldies. :D

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Rosey,

Am I the eye candy or am I LOOKING for eye candy. LOL

• roseyd
    10 years ago

Well, you'll be in the passenger seat - so that'd be riding shotgun. I guess that means you could be both. :)

I Just got the Logees email - 66% off on overstocked plants... Oh! I'm in so much trouble... what will I buy now?

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

What overstock? I didn't get emailed!

• Raji Ram
    10 years ago

Hi Robert,
    Our dog Oreo looks exactly same like yours. Is it a Boston Terrier mix?
    Here is she in San diego beach
    Raji

• Raji Ram
    10 years ago

Here is the close -up

• Raji Ram
    10 years ago

Here is the close -up

{{!gwi}}

Original Author
    10 years ago

rajiram!

Oreo is freaking adorable! She looks so happy running on the beach. Our dog Frida also loves the water. :)
    Yes. Frida is some sort of Boston Terrier mix. We don't know what else she is but we love her to death. Laugh.
    I've also got a pic of Frida with her tongue out like your close up of Oreo! ;)

-Robert

Original Author
    10 years ago

I got sidetracked by the adorableness of Oreo and almost forgot to report that my Neofinetia falcata is starting to open and put forth a scent!
    Some blooms started opening two nights ago (no scent) but last night those blooms started putting out a light scent similar to a mixture of sambac jasmines, honeysuckle and a lemony scent that reminded me of Sinningia tubiflora. Other blooms are opening and I noticed the other plant (I've got two in the same basket) has a flower spike! Woo hoo!
    Hoping tonight the scent will be stronger and start to waft. :)

-Robert

This post was edited by robert1971 on Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 9:49

• roseyd
    10 years ago

OH! so pretty!

and the dogs are CUTE, too. :)

the funny thing about pets is that they're supposed to take after their masters. So, that quirk about the dogs with tongues randomly with tongues sticking out... I have a feeling this might be you two's quirk? :D

Matching dog, matching habit. How cool is that! right?

I like the delicate look of those blossoms. I hope they're long lasting (despite the fragile appearance - they sure did take long enough to open!)

Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't know what you're talking about, Rosey! ;)

Came home after work and they have a scent and the sun is still out! Looking forward to sniffing them tonight.

-Robert

Original Author
    10 years ago

Last night was the strongest scent so far but still no wafting. I had a friend over so I forced him to sniff the blooms and tell me what he thought it smells like. Laugh.
    He came up with Tahitian vanilla and honeysuckle.
    It's an unusual scent. Sort of a sugary vanilla. Hard to describe.

-Robert

• roseyd
    10 years ago

Robert, you're as cute as your dog. :) LOL! and I meant that in a good way. (blush)

I am "SO" not doing any more plant shopping. I've run out of pots and need to figure out how I'm going to repot those 18 plants that just arrived from Logees on Weds.

I did one plant so far - the tall rose-cactus was done this morning, and promptly moved outside onto the porch. Half a day of rain, and afternoon sun shouldn't hurt it any.

17 more to go.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Ah, thanks! :)

Wow. 18 plants from Logee's! Yea. That's a lot to deal with and good incentive to not buy any more plants. Laugh.

-Robert

• roseyd
    10 years ago

Well, I shouldn't make it sound like I'm keeping all of them! ... I had ordered some in duplicate so that I could give them as presents for birthdays. But the box didn't arrive in time.

So, it's late gifting intentions - if I can find the right pots to match...

• kemistry
    10 years ago

Lol Robert you're hilarious.

I too need to repot all my newly purchase plants but I get so lazy this year. Not sure why. Maybe too many plants. Lol.

• roseyd
    10 years ago

Oh Kem, once you admit it - you're going to begin the process of downsizing your collection.

With a statement like that though ... how would any of us decide on what we could downsize?

NO easy decision there.

• kemistry
    10 years ago

So true Rosey. I've been downsizing a bit. Now it's getting to the point where I can't let any of them go. It seems that the more I give away plants the more I acquire new ones. Hmm. Lol. : \

• botaniphile
    10 years ago

So what's the verdict, Robert? Do you like the smell of neofinetia or is it "meh"?

Original Author
    10 years ago

The verdict is she's a keeper! Just had to get past the unusual scent. Guess I should have expected that from an orchid. ;)
    She's wafting but not greatly.
    My partner loves it so that says a lot since he thinks my obsession is nuts. :)
    Noticed my Neofinetia falcata 'Shutenno' has flower spikes as well! Woo hoo!
    Really hope the blooms will have purple in them.

-Robert

This post was edited by robert1971 on Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 14:48