SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
storygardener

Central Ohio Plantswap/Potluck- Sat. May 19, 2007

storygardener
17 years ago

Hello fellow gardeners!

It's that time again! My name is Beverly - (aka Storygardener) My good friend and gardening buddy, Mimi, (aka Princess Mimi)and I have again reserved a covered shelter at a park in Hilliard, Oh (northwest suburb of Columbus, Ohio) for a plant swap and pot luck on Saturday, May 19, 2007.

MARK YOUR CALENDAR & TELL YOUR FRIENDS

Here is the basic information:

Date: Saturday, May 19, 2007

Time: 10:00 am

Place: Shelter #5, Hilliard Municipal Park, Hilliard, Ohio. The park is on Veterans Memorial Dr.

TRADING MATERIALS: plants, well rooted cuttings potted up, bulbs, shrubs, happy seedlings, garden ornaments,& bundled garden magazines, extra gardening implements, etc.

(PLEASE MARK ALL PLANT MATERIALS WITH THE PLANT NAME AND CARE (shade, sun, etc) REQUIRED!!! Also, mark any plants as invaisive or poisonous, if known)

POT LUCK: Please bring a dish to pass with serving untensil & your own beverage We will provide plates, plastic silverware, napkins & cup. It's a good idea to mark your serving spoons etc. with your name. I can tell you...gardeners are WONDERFUL cooks!!

DOOR PRIZES: If anyone wants to donate something for a door prize, please feel free. Over the years we have had many really neat prizes!! Lots of fun.

This should be a wonderful chance to share your passion for gardening, meet other avid and learning gardeners, have a festive and delicious meal, acquire some new plants & share your extra's. Please come with a happy and sharing heart. Bring pictures of your gardens, flowers, etc. - if you like!

This is the plan for the day:

10:00 -12:00 - people arrive, sign-in with your name and number of plants, get name tag, put plants in viewing/swap area, put dish to pass away, visit with other gardeners & start viewing plants.

Noon - have lunch

After lunch - door prize(s) awarded

1:00 - swap begins

After swap - more visiting, pack up & goodbyes.

This plant swap is free...but, if anyone wants to donate a dollar that day to help defray the cost of the shelter (now $50, paper products, etc) - we won't argue with you!

We've been to many swaps we really like this swapping style - a modified ROUND ROBIN.

Round One - pick one plant

Next Round - pick one plant

Next Round - pick two plants

Next Round - pick three plants

And so on, and so on....

This way everyone gets a chance to get some of the plants they really have on eye on. This works well and people have been very pleased in the past. Everyone should be able to take home as many plants as they bring.

Some tips for the day would include bringing a folding chair (sometimes needed), a box or container labeled with your name to put your new plants in after swapping & bring and mark your serving utensils for your dish to pass. If you have room in the car...bring an extra table, just in case.

Hilliard Municipal Park can be found by getting into Columbus, then go to the outerbelt, I-270 & go west, and getting off at Cemetery Road Exit. Go west again (towards Hilliard) on Cemetary Rd. Stay on Cemetery Road about 2 miles until right past Main Street (a traffic light). At this point you still go straight because Cemetery Road joins with Scioto Darby Road. Go about .4 mile down road until you get to Veterans Memorial Drive which is on the left.

Veterans Memorial Drive/Hilliard Municipal Park is off of Scioto Darby road on the left side of the road - across from Hilliard Heritage Middle School. (NOT hilliard Memorial Middle school - that, you'll see first.) Another landmark is that Veterans Memorial Dr. is where you see the Urgent Care & Sunshine Academy. Shelter #5 is only about 1/10 mile from the park entrance. You stay directly on the park's main road and go .1 mile and turn right (just past all the flag poles). You'll turn right again quickly into a parking lot directly in front of shelter #5. The shelter just left of the children's playyard.

We hope you can make it.

PLEASE EMAIL with RSVP so we can get a head count. (This helps us know how many plates, cups, etc. to bring)

This should be a FUN, informal day to share our love of gardening! We are contacting some of our gardening friends & alerting the Gardeweb.com people & the local garden club. Hopefully we'll have a good crowd. You should bring a gardening friend, too!

Please email with any questions.

HOPE YOU CAN MAKE IT TO THE SWAP!

Good gardening...

...Beverly & Mimi

Comments (144)

• princess_mimi
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Mmmmmmmmmm! that sounds great Karen! I will be bringing something Italian as always.

I need to get digging! I have had several setbacks lately, including a night off at the hospital, that have set me back. I usually have everything potted up by now. Oy! At least most of what I have to bring is indestructible, Stella's, Hostas, Mum and the like. Tomorrow better be sunny so that I can get Beverly and my plants out of the ground.

I do have some things ready for door prizes. Stuff I've made as usual.

I'm getting excited!

~~Mimi

• abbiejan
    16 years ago

Hi -
    Potted up my swap plants (had to do not since knee surgery is this week).

Besides outdoor plants, am wondering if houseplants are an option?

I have a few small jades that I really don't have room for. They're from good plants but I always root too many babies and then have too many jades!

Getting excited about the swap!

• Related Discussions

Central Ohio Plant Swap 2014

Q

Comments (55)
    I think that was the coldest and wettest swap I've ever attended -- but it was as much fun as any I've been to! Big ups to the organizers -- excellent job! I think the "side trades" table was particularly inspired -- it saved a lot of time running around looking for a lot of people you'd never actually met, while still giving you the *option* of running around and looking for people if you wanted to! Wonderful plants, wonderful people, and would whoever made that lovely red apple dish give me the recipe? If you didn't get any, they were thick apple rings, maybe 1/2 or so; bright red, and sweet. But not sticky, syrupy sweet, just straight up apple taste. I thought they were going to be the standard 'apples in syrup with cinnamon red hots' but they were fantastic! Thanks all for a lovely time - now, who's going to plant these things for me?
    ...See More

Central Ohio Plantswap/potluck- Sat. May 22 - continuation

Q

Comments (18)
    Hi everybody! I'd like to extend a huge thank you to Beverly and Mimi for hosting yet another incredible swap, mom and I had a great time (as usual!), enjoyed saying hi to everyone and picked up some wonderful plants. Oh, and had a fantastic meal as well! A big thanks to Steph and Hostalavista for the side trades, I love the hostas, heuchera and sedum and will treasure them in my little garden. :) I had a slightly different experience this year, after getting my fill of picks I spent a few rounds moving straggler pots into larger groups like I always do and ended up finding a plant I would have taken in the first round if I had found it earlier! Bonus! I brought 60, took home 10, and couldn't be happier. Well, I would have been happier if I could have walked the next day, I spent most of the week incapacitated and on pain meds, went to the doctors yesterday and found out I injured my achilles tendon. At least it's not torn, I start physical therapy next Monday. It's always something, ain't it? Like Steph said earlier, we aren't planning to do the swap this year, the cost for shelter rental was just too much for the smaller crowd that the fall swap brings in. I'd still be interested in going to a fall swap though, if anyone else wants to take up the task or knows of a less expensive venue, I know I'd be thrilled to attend and I'm sure mom would as well. And if not, I'll look forward to seeing everyone again next spring! Jeanne
    ...See More

Central Ohio Fall Plant Swap/Potluck-September 8th, 2007

Q

Comments (84)
    Hi everybody, Sorry I didn't get these pictures posted earlier, 'puter has been acting testy and I still don't have email working, but at least I'm back to posting! Here's some pics... Margie, I brought the Chocolate Dip, just love the foliage. They come true from seed, I started a pack of 20 seeds over the winter and 4 came up but one died from overwatering and I planted out 2. It's an outdoor plant, supposedly perennial, full sun to part shade. I don't know how it will do with reseeding, I was afraid of the name Hawkweed so I made sure to collect as much of the seed as I could! Hope you enjoy it!
    ...See More

Central Ohio Plantswap/Potluck- Sat. 5/19/07 - LINK to info

Q

Comments (9)
    Oh, i wish i could come. my wife booked me to do a catering that day.-- i'[m trying to get a small catering business going, so i just can't say nope to new business. please let me know if there is going to be a fall swap because i could try to make that one. i'll really miss going this year, especially as i need new plant material-- april's snow dod in a lot of my marginal plants diggerb
    ...See More
  • princess_mimi
    16 years ago

Abbiejan-Of course you can bring house plants! If it grows...we'll swap it. (no kittens, please! =))

11 days and counting!

~~Mimi

• storygardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

FORECAST - Sat - May 19 - Partly Cloudy - 75°/54° 20% rain

That's the forcast for next Saturday. Of course, it could change a half dozen times. But, the outlook is good, so far.

I am thinking of making Thai Cold Noodle Salad (noodles, peanut, soy, cukes, green onions, hot sauce) or sweet and sour cucumber and onions. Any requests.

It will be fun to see folks! Can't wait.

Bakemom...those meatballs sure sound good!

Beverly

• storygardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi....I got the Gift Certificate from Chris Baker ($50) from BAKERS ACRES in Alexandria, Oh - for the Grand Door Prize. I am so amazed and thrilled with his kindness and generosity - I've never asked for this certificate. He always emails ME asking if we'd like it.

I think a road trip is in order to BAkers sometime after the swap!!! - we'lll have to plan on it, folks.

See you all soon.........Beverly

• steph98
    16 years ago

Beverly, if my opinion counts, the Thai Noodle salad sounds wonderful.
    Barbi- I'm trying with the spider plant. My cat tried to make a meal out of it, so it doesn't look too glamorous now. But, it should survive and thrive, especially if you don't have cats that like to eat all your indoor plants. We have to find tricky spots to put ours where the cat can't jump!
    Looking forward to the swap.
    Stephanie

• dianemgarrett
    16 years ago

hi,
    swap is so near. i hope the weather is nice. we always have a great potluck. also tons and tons of lovely wonderful plants.
    i will not be being the fall swap anymore. if any one is interested please let me know at the plant swap. the shelter house has went from $30-50 + deposit. at the last several fall swaps & potluck there has been about 40 people.
    see you at the swap diane garrett

• trishohiozone5_6
    16 years ago

Diane,

Sorry to hear you won't be doing the fall swap. I'm sure it is a lot of work. I'd be glad to do it if it could be moved to the middle of August because once school starts, I swamped! However, I know that it is a terrible time to transplant things, so if someone else can do it later, that would be great!

Everybody,

Ive got my list of the daylilies I will be bringing this year.
    Jamacia Rose
    Arigatou
    Roses in Snow
    Tangerine Horses
    Calgary Stampede
    Funny Valentine

I already have lilies-of-the-valley potted up to come. Ill do most of my potting this weekend.

• steph98
    16 years ago

For the fall swap, we could always try a different location in Columbus. The Olentangy Highland Park (off 23) has free pavilions, but it is first come first serve.
    I'm sure we can find a less expensive place if we put our heads together!
    Stephanie

• alison
    16 years ago

This is a bit of a long-shot, but a friend of mine is looking for blueberries, hardy grapes, or nut trees. (Like hazelnut, heartnut, butternut, etc.) He's given all of us at work a lot of things from his yard, and I'd love to come up with something for him!

Let me know, and we can work out a trade!

• bakemom_gw
    16 years ago

Beverly - request for that famous cuke salad...so refreshing and old fashioned! Of course I haven't met a noodle salad I didn't like. How about BOTH? hehe.

I'm also looking forward to Mimi's famous italian love in a pot. It's such a pleasure to encounter a true italian cook.

Is it just me or does anyone else enjoy the food as much as the plants...and of course the good company?

• princess_mimi
    16 years ago

I'm excited! I have a bunch of things potted up and looking good. I also have some pots and "stuff" to bring. You all know how much I love stuff! I have a couple of blue bottles that I've decorated for hanging in the garden. (Just had to add some bling to the idea of the bottle tree!) They will be door prizes. Maybe even a bottle bug too!

One week and counting!

~~Mimi

• princess_mimi
    16 years ago

Did I mention that I also made a teapot bird house for a door prize also? I also made the bottle bug last night He has red beads on his wings and blue eyes. My boys dubbed him the dragonfly! Fun stuff!

Bev and I will get serious about checking out our paper supplies after she gets back from her trip to see her grand baby. (Be sure to ask her or Murray to see pics. He's a cutie!) The signs are all ready and tables are accessible.
    Just one more thing.....

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO YOU ALL!

~~Mimi

• xaroleht
    16 years ago

Happy Mother's day to all. Went to a "warm up" swap yesterday to get in shape for next week. Got a few nice things. Then spent a wonderful 5 hours in historic Zoar. Most of their gardens are going yet this year but everyone should take a trip later this summer to see what's been done. Gotta get our plants from yesterday planted and tomorrow is a planting day at Schoenbrunn Historical Village. Hopefully somewhere in there we will get some potting done for next week. Have some hosta's ready to go. May bring some Jacob's ladder and some Jerusalem Artichokes. Not sure what else yet. Anyone have any white beebalm? or verigated Jacob's ladder? Will check with James to see if there is anything else we need. Better get outside have lots of things to get in and out of the beds. Have a wonderful day and pray we have such nice weather next week. Peace and roses. Michelle

• kin2mice
    16 years ago

two messages
    1. Hostalavista - I tried to make some cuttings of the lavender from my coworker - no signs of life yet but it is early and she will give me some fresh cuttings for you to try. (the little plants she had ready for you died in a freak neighborhood dog accident)
    2 I am down to just two people coming. me and my mum. my coworker has been called in and my neighbor is in the hospital with pneumonia (he'll be okay just not up to doing a swap)

Happy Mothers day Ya'll.
    I've got two really cool frames and pics and some cool coupons to Bluestone perrenials for door prizes.
    see you there!

• storygardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes...I agree with Bakemom - the food is always fantastic at the swap. Gardeners seem to be good cooks too!

Mimi dug up a bunch of my things for the swap (I have new foot problems stemming from previouss ones - darn!!)-

iris - grape jelly - dark purple
    new york purple aster
    penstemon red husker
    black eyed susan
    ground cover sedum
    clematis- sweet autumn
    filenpendula - queen of the prairie
    phlox paniculatta

There's probably others - I can't recall.

I am looking for rock garden plants for a sunny location.

The weather looks good. Mimi has made some really cute garden "pretties'" for door prizes.

Can't wait to see all of you.

Beverly

• hostalavista
    16 years ago

Ken2mice,
    I'm having trouble with plants not to mention computers!
    But my Mallow didn't come up this year, my friend said that was funny because hers didn't come up either.
    Is there something else I could bring you?

• maozamom NE Ohio
    16 years ago

I divided my hardy hibiscus and will be bringing starts from it to the swap. You can see a picture of the pretty color in the seed trade section of my trade list.

• storygardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi folks...you can add Blue Queen Salvia and Oat Grass to my list.

I can hardly wait to see everyone!

Take care......Beverly

• steph98
    16 years ago

If memory serves me correct, I'm bringing the following:
    Hosta Golden Tiarra
    H. Blue Cadet
    H. Lancifolia
    Pulmonaria
    Sweet Woodruff
    Celadine Poppy
    Forget me nots
    Jack in the pulpits
    Myrtle
    Wild Geranium
    Lamium
    That's all I can remember while sitting at my desk.
    Can you tell I have a shady yard?
    Can't wait for the swap. The weather looks perfect.
    I'm so excited to see all of our plants that we got at the Fall swap popping up now. Pretty soon I will be able to divide those too.
    Anyone interested in a special swap for a Turtlehead? I'm always looking for interesting hostas. The turtlehead has pretty pink flowers and it seems to do very well in our shady yard.
    See you all there!
    Stephanie

• storygardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good News!!!!!!!!!!

I went to pay for the shelter today. Because I booked the shelter last December 2006 - I got the 2006 rate!! Who knew?? Not me...so, it will still be $30 for the spring swap. Great!

Steph....you have a great list!!

See you all soon...the weather should be good.

Bevery

• abbiejan
    16 years ago

Just thought the swap folks would be interesting in knowing that the biggest outdoor flower show in U.S. is being held Memorial Day weekend in Cleveland.

Can't wait 'til Sat and the swap!

http://www.postgazette.com/garden/20020525show3.asp

• princess_mimi
    16 years ago

The plants are in the pots, the cavatini ingredients are ready on the counter, the door prizes are finished, the paper goods are boxed up and the signs are ready too! Tomorrow is the big day!!!!!!

The weather should be fine so wear your sun screen!!!

~~Mimi

• kin2mice
    16 years ago

Hostalavista, I am pretty easy going as to what you could bring. I love surprises and since I not keeping what you swap (its going to my coworker) she says she does not care. You can have them for free, (since there is no guarentee they will actually root) she just needed to trim her lavender really bad and was thankful someone could take the trimmings.

see ya tommorow.
    I'll be running a tad late have to take my boyfriend to work at 10am so I should show at around 11am)

• granny57
    16 years ago

Anyone interested in a side trade before tomorrow?I have 2 Hops Vines,One has already been spoken for,If anyone is interested in the other, Email me and we can see where to go from there.If no one is interested in a private trade,It will be up for grabs with the other plants.
    Granny57

• bakemom_gw
    16 years ago

I have the meatballs in the crockpot and my spicy barbeque sauce mixed to add tomorrow morning. I will get it started while we head downtown for Race for the Cure.

I only have 16 plants this year due to craaaazy weather that did not accomodate my work schedule. I hope to have more items this fall.

I have some houseplant babies potted up. These plants are special to me as some I have had since I was 19. I'm 45. Nothing rare or anything, just nice and easy to grow inside. I only keep 2 plants inside all year and three additional come in and out with the seasons.

• storygardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone....Ron and Betty have arrived! We had supper at the Starliner Diner (a tradition). Murray has packed the car full of plants, tables, tableclothes,things for signing in , name tag stuff, door prize tickets, cucumber & onion salad and more.

I can't wait to see you all!

Travel safely!!

Beverly

• bakemom_gw
    16 years ago

Sorry to scoot out of there without saying good bye, but I was one sore pup. We were talking at the potluck and thinking about putting together a sign in the memory of or in celebration of breast cancer survivors for next years race. We can talk about that next year if you want.

I brought about 30 items and took home 12 - mostly items for my elderly parents' shade garden. Celedine poppy, bloodroot, plumed solomon's seal and some lamiums. I have a nice phlox I want to practice rooting cuttings from and Alison's cupid's dart to add to the ones I winter sowed last year.

I hope you guys liked the meatballs - I was glad they got snarfed up. Next swap, I'm thinking hashbrown cheesy creamy casserole.

Thanks Mimi and Beverly - another job well done.

• princess_mimi
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone! You helped make this another great swap! It was so good to see everyone again and make some new friends. The food was fabulous!

I will be posting a link for pictures soon. Keep on the look out!

~~Mimi

• storygardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi folks!

WOW! What a day - it was wonderful. Despite the big winds early in the morning, and they grey sky during the day - our outlooks were sunny! (Thanks to Betty and Ron for taping on the tableclothes - as they kept blowing off early this am.)

It was wonderful seeing long time friends and making new friends, too. It's amazing, I met Noah when he was just past being a baby & now he'll be in third grade. I loved seeing everyone!

Thanks to everyone for making today's swap so much fun. The plants were great with a good variety. The food was fantastic - gardener's sure can cook and bake. The door prizes were amazing. I think we had over forty!!

Now to the count....we had 135+ people today. That's the most ever. We had about 2183 plants - according to the sign in book.

Murray and I brought 24 plants this year. Murray got some tomatoes and he's happy! I got some rock garden plants, 2 small tufa pots with plants, white swan echinacea, salvia, lamium, beautiful glass from shadowgarden and a few more. SO MUCH FUN! I brought the bed frame to trade today...does anyone know who took that home for the new "bed"? (Just curious?)

I wish I had a chance to see what you all got. That's as much fun as getting goodies yourself.

Lisa Collier mentioned that she might do the swap in the fall. Stay tuned...we'll see what happens. My son is getting married on Sept. 29 - I"ll have a busy September.

Bakemom....yes, I loved those meatballs. Is that a new recipe? Your hashbrown cheesey casserole sounds good too. But, if there's a fall swap - we couldn't possibly live without your apple salad. :)

Folks, thanks again. Keep in touch. Have a great spring and summer.

...Beverly

• dianemgarrett
    16 years ago

Hello Beverly & Mimi thanks again for a wonderful swap & potluck again. I'm so glad Lisa Collier might do the fall swap!!!
    Thanks hostalavista for the white lilac..My lilac's didn't bloom at all this year due to the cold weather.
    Thanks to rebecca for bring your lovely glass work!!!!
    I got some great plants this year!!!!
    Thanks Diane M Garrett

• steph98
    16 years ago

What a great swap! I'm exhausted, but it was well worth it. We got everything planted today, which is quite a feat since I think we left with more than we brought. I'm thrilled with all my new hostas.
    Thanks Beverly and Mimi.
    I really hope there's a fall swap as well!
    Stephanie

• trishohiozone5_6
    16 years ago

Thanks Beverly and Mimi you created a wonderful event again this year! And, thanks to your hubby's for helping you make it happen!

I got a bunch of wonderful things! Gratefully I took more than I brought home. What I brought home was magic lilies (which my husband just loves), Wabash Iris (which I just fell in love with), some Black Eyed Susan (to give to a friend), a bag of Purple Iris (which I gave all but one piece of to a friend), some ground covers, and three hostas (Sea Dream, Orphan Child and Golden Tierra). Then I was silly enough to go a nursery close by and buy $84.00 worth of plants. On one of the other forums, I heard about a new disease CHAD (Chronic Horticultural Acquisition Disorder) I think I have a serious case.

Thanks for the Private trades Granny57 and Hostalavista!

Thanks to everyone! It was great!

Trish

• kin2mice
    16 years ago

What a fantastic swap! we got lots of stuff - me and mum that is! However I could not find the gal I was supposed to give the pink peony to. (at least I am pretty sure it is pink the buds look more like my pink peony buds then my white ones) nor could I find the gal that needed the lavender that unfortunality my coworkers neighborhood stray dogs got into. She is going to give me more cuttings when hers fills out over the summer and would like to give them to the same person who needed them.
    anyway shoot me an email with your addresses and I will get them mailed out or if you live near the Hilltop you can pick them up.

• granny57
    16 years ago

I just wanted to put my 2 cents in,Was just worn out by the time I got home last night.
    As always the swap was amazing.I had so much fun with everyone and enjoyed seeing all the friendly faces again.
    Thank You Beverly and Mimi and all who put their time and energy into making this swap a reality.
    Hostalavista,I'm so Happy to see you out and about,It was great seeing you and meeting your mother and seeing your daughter Cathy again.Thank You for the replacement Hosta.
    Trish,It was nice meeting you again,Your Welcome and Thank You for the nice plants.I know we will all enjoy them.
    Apologizies to;
    George,Sorry for calling you Ben!!Don't know where that came from.But it was good to see you again and glad we all broke bread together,And Lee,I didn't put your face and name together till after I got home.I sure hope you don't think I'm a snob,I just get brain spaces between my ears and can't put things together sometimes. But It was good to see,Look forward to seeing everyone again hopefuly in the fall.
    Thank You
    Granny57

• granny57
    16 years ago

By The Way,
    The food was Great,I loved all of it.But I have 2 Q?
    First being,
    Who made the salad with the tiny cut up Broccolli in it?And would you give up the recipe for it?
    The other Q?? is;
    Who brought the sweet little darling house plant in a hanging pot that vines down and what is it called?
    Well,So much for my schooling,I guess that was 4 QQ??s
    Here goe's another QQ.
    Will the lady who wanted my Fudge recipe email me so I can give it to you.I forgot about it after everything got going.Thank You for the Hot Dogs.!!
    Granny57

• shadowgarden
    16 years ago

We had a great time. About half the plants are planted the the others are going to Muskingum county with me tomorrow. Unfortunately when I was planting I decided i had better do some weeding so my back is now a little tired. Thanks for putting it all together. See you next year

• abbiejan
    16 years ago

Hi -
    What a great day it was! Like Christmas in spring!

THANK YOU Beverly, Mimi and your families!

Maybe we can post recipes from the swap? I'd love that meatballs recipe!

(Granny57 - that houseplant I brought is a Rosary Vines, aka String of Hearts. It likes bright, indirect light.)

- Abbie jan

• alison
    16 years ago

Don't feel bad, trish; I stopped off at the garden center and picked up $20 worth of vinca vine on the way home. I'd been putting off getting it, because I always pick up what I need at the swap -- but there was a scarcity this year. (I think I spent less than $20 on the 50 plants I brought!)

I had a wonderful time and picked up some lovely planters and plant stands. The feverfew, centaurea, penstemon and lady's mantle are already in the ground. The hens-and-chicks and the purple trad (Purple Queen? Moses-in-the-basket?) are already in their containers. I've suspended the two glass globes with the wide collars from fishing line, and they're hanging in my bedroom windows with coleus cuttings. And I'm trying to decide how to trick-out some of those plant stands for my upcoming yard sale.

As always, the best part of the swap was the people. Some folks I've know since I was a little kid, some folks I only see at the swap, some folks I've lured in over the years. All great people and great friends, and I only wish I could get there early enough to spend time chatting with everyone.

I told Bev I think part of the reason the swap works so well is that gardeners are at the same time the most generous -- and the most covetous -- people on the plant. We all want a little bit of every plant -- and then we want to share it with everyone else, along with comments about our experiences.

Next year, I'll have the car loaded up the night before, so I can get there earlier!

• granny57
    16 years ago

Abbie jan,
    Thank You for the info and name to the Beautiful house plant you brought and I was so lucky to have gotten.I never noticed it till it was almost time to leave and it was sitting all by it's lonesome.I just happened by and it caught my eye.I've never seen any house plant like it.I'm very surprised that you gave it up.It's very unusual and the leaves almost have a succulent type and feel to them.
    I will enjoy it very much,I hope you saved some for yourself.
    Alison,
    Don't know how I did,But I missed seeing you there.Hopefully next time.
    I'm still hoping to hear from the person who made the salad with the cut up broccoli.I really loved the salad.But I will understand if you don't want to part with the recipe.((NOT))LOL
    Granny57

• hagey
    16 years ago

Thank you Beverly and Mimi for hosting the swap. We had a great time. Thanks to both for the tour of your gardens. I love the blue bottle you gave us Mimi and the plants from Beverly.
    Beverly we are going to change our choice for the Starliner next time as we seen some other items that looked good to try.
    Our journey home was not good as a deer ran into the mirror on the driver's side and removed it. It also broke the window but it did not fall out. There is a line across the side that is bent so all that has to be done. We cannot get the car back for about 12 days.
    Thanks for all the great plants we got. We will try to plant on Wednesday. Thanks again everyone. Betty

• princess_mimi
    16 years ago

Hi everyone! I finally go the photos onto my Webshots account. I couldn't get it to take captions for the first section and can't figure out how to edit them now so fill in your own comments!

Enjoy!

~~Mimi

• trishohiozone5_6
    16 years ago

Mimi,

What great pictures! Thank You!!!!!!! I downloaded a few to keep the happy memories going.

Trish

• storygardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mimi.....LOVE these photo's. It's a great documentation of a wonderful day. It captures the spirit. Thanks so much for posting these!!

Beverly

• strmywthr3
    16 years ago

great photos! I had a great time this year. thanks for the spider plants everyone. I hope I can keep them growing.

I need the recipe for the pasta salad that looked like it was made with ramen noodles. it was yummy!

I'm already looking forward to next years swap. maybe I'll make to the fall swap this year too.

Barbi

• sunburygirl
    16 years ago

Thanks Beverly and Mimi!. As usual, the swap was a blast and it owes so much to your wonderful planning and personalities! It is always such a treat to see folks I haven't seen for a year, to taste the incredible potluck and of course to take home little plant treasures. I brought two more 'swap virgins' this year and they are hooked! Thanks again!

Nancy and the rest of the gang (both human and furry)

• granny57
    16 years ago

Mimi,
    Loved the pictures,Your very good at posting and taking pictures.
    Didn't know my hair was so grey till I saw my picture.I didn't even recognize me.LOL I will have to tame it down a bit.
    Mimi and Beverly you two took a great picture together.And Beverly you have such an Angelic face and the pictures taken of you captures that.
    I was wondering if anyone took me and Abbie Jan serious about posting our recipes?I think it would be great to share our recipes with each other.
    Anyway,Thanks for the wonderful pictures Mimi,I love what you did with the broken bird bath and the gazabo Rocks!!!
    I especially love the photo of the little boy on the porch.Is he one of your boys?If he is which one is he?Give them all big HUGS from me!!!
    Enjoy the Holiday!!
    Granny57

• princess_mimi
    16 years ago

Thank you all for your kind comments on the photos! I have fun clicking away. It's always fun to share too! You should all feel free to look at my other albums too if you're interested in some of my garden junk.

Thanks Margie! That's my son Sam on the front stoop with my lanterns. He's 3 1/2 going on 12!!!! He wanted to be in the picture of my junk so I figured that he would enhance the pic!

~~Mimi

• granny57
    16 years ago

Your right Mimi,
    Sam enhanced your picture with those sweet cheeks!
    I didn't recognize him.He's grown so much since I last saw him.And what about Noah and Noami?How they've grown.
    I don't know about any of you,But I'll be getting my plants in the ground tomorrow((With help of course))
    I found a Hosta called Golden Tusk,And one called Crown Imperial.I will try to get starts off of them before I put them in the ground.Maybe I'll bring them to the fall swap.
    Hope all is well with everyone and you all had a fun Holiday!!
    Margie((Granny57))

• steph98
    16 years ago

Is anyone planning a fall swap this year? I'd hate to see ithe fall pass by without a swap. You all have got me addicted now! : )
    Steph

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!