SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

weather in Alabama....COLD !!

User
15 years ago

We have had rain every day and 75 degrees. We are getting 25 mph winds tomorrow and then 25 degrees at night and then 21 Monday night. Believe it or not by Wed....back in the 60's. We have already had several nights of 20's a few weeks back. I have learned to check the reports every day and usually more than once. We are having some strange stuff everywhere in the country.

Glad we are not travelling !!

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    15 years ago

It was 68 degrees when I got up. DH said he saw rain coming from the north, and suddenly the wind picked up. "Rain and turn cold," the southern climate. I'm just glad the occasional freezing nights are soon over.

We are expecting 30 degrees as the low tonight, a little colder Monday night. The camellias will have to start over.

Nell

• token28001
    15 years ago

My camellias are just getting going. Well, the one that wasn't chopped down before I knew what it was. :(

It was in the upper 70s here yesterday and breezy with rain. Last night, we had some pretty bad storms I reckon. All the windows are wet which means it was a windy rain. The sun is out now. And the temperature is dropping. Supposed to be 22 here tonight, unless that changed in the last 15 minutes. It wouldn't surprise me.

But on the upside, it's Winter Solstice and the days start getting longer tomorrow. :)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    15 years ago

We still had about a foot of snow and it snowed again last night, blizzard warnings are up for the Fraser Valley on the mainland, yep it's very white and very cold around here. It's hovering around 26 F a little warmer than it has been, snow is in the forecast for the next few days.

Annette

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

token that is the upside...days getting longer. I am so glad that it has been a very mild winter so far. I know that the ground needs to get cold for soome plants and to prevent infestations...but I find that I just don't tolerate the cold well at all anymore. I love to be on my bike and not freeaing ! BRRRR.

Nell my camellias have been gorgeous...sigh...so far the 20's we had before didn't bother them. Hope this doesn't either.

Annette...I love snow...take pics :)

• schoolhouse_gw
    15 years ago

Looks like we won't have snow for Christmas. The sun is shining right now and melting the ice we got after midnight last night. Sorry, but no snow for Christmas just ain't right.

• mary_lu_gw
    15 years ago

Yup cold here too! Our warmest temp today was +4 degrees and wind chills were -25 to -35. The temps are starting to drop again now. Temps tonight are supposed to drop to -10 and wind chills will continue to be in the -25 to -30 range.

Sure glad that we have gotten a fair amount of snow this past week. Last Tuesday we got 6 inches, on Thursday we got 10+ and then last night we got another 3-4 inches. At least it should help insulate the plants from the extreme cold. (saying that with fingers crossed)

• libbyshome
    15 years ago

Looks like Canadians will have a white Christmas coast to coast. That dosen't happen very often.

Libby

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    15 years ago

That will keep the Torontonians freeked out!!! lol. Oh yeah, but they have the armed forces on speed dial!!!!

Nancy.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

When I hear about the very cold temperatures up north, I always wonder if the houses are built differently, thicker walls, more attic insulation, etc. Our houses, especially the old ones such as mine, probably don't have insulation in the walls at all....just several layers of different siding. We stay warm, but notice on these 10° and lower windy days, it is hard to keep each room as warm as I like, and that is with newer windows.

It is 4° here this morning.

• gottagarden
    15 years ago

We just got POUNDED by snow this weekend. Snowday for the kids on Friday and today. I'm guessing we have 2.5 feet of snow out there. I haven't measured yet, all my doors have snow halfway up them, and I'm going to need to shovel my way OUT of the house. Never had to do that before, our doors are raised off the ground level and have covered porches. But what a storm!

• libbyshome
    15 years ago

When I hear about the very cold temperatures up north, I always wonder if the houses are built differently, thicker walls, more attic insulation, etc.

They need higher value insulation, heating and the structures to withstand the pressure of snow.
    (not so much where I live)
    Libby

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't know how you stand it !! 27 here tonight !

I was born in Ohio and remember walking to elementary school with drifts as tall as I was at the time. We played making angels in the snow. We also tromped all over our big yard and made a "duck duck goose" track and then we poured water on the trail to make it icy ! What nuts ! My best friend fell and her arm was bent funny. She asked me what I thought and I said " can you move your fingers?" she said " yes" and I said well I bet it is OK. She didn't tell her Mom or Dad. A week later it was really sore....they took her to the Dr who lived across from my house...he said she had a green twig break...had to break it for real and set it. We were not friends after that. Hmmmm,,,,I wonder if I should find her and tell her I went to nursing school and graduated top of my class LOL. Nope maybe not !

Ya'll stay WARM !!! c

Sponsored