SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
castorp

Need advice for a 'hay mulch garden' (zone 8a)

castorp
17 years ago

My father wants to turn a large irrigated area on his farm into a low-maintenance garden. I thought he might try the "Ruth Stout technique", and cover the entire area with a thick mulch of spoiled hay, adding more hay as weeds appear. To make topping off the hay easier, he would use easy care plants that go completely dormant, especially things that tend to naturalize or take care of themselves--narcissus, rainlilies, crinums, cannas, hurricane lilies, naked ladies. This way, when a group of bulbs goes dormant, he can just add more hay to suppress weeds.

What do you think? Can you forsee any major problems? Can you suggest other plants that might work well in this sort of garden?

Again, the criteria are, It must be very care free (preferably naturalizing, but not invasive) and it needs to go completely dormant at some time in the year.

I wish he could also plant some native butterfly weed and liatrus. Does anyone know of a source in South Georgia?

The area is irrigated, and it is full sun, with sandy loam soil. It is in zone 8a.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Bill

Comments (4)

Sponsored