SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtymartini_gw

pls help me-clueless about gardening-viburnums in shade?-SE FL

dirtymartini
14 years ago

Hi!

I posted a day or so ago...need PRIVACY along my fence line, but the neighbors have some big, shady trees along their side of the fence. I liked the idea of yews, which was suggested, but I have a mini horse that roams the yard during the day and I found out they are toxic.

So, I googled viburnums, also suggested on that thread (thanks ritaweed and jaxtropix, BTW) and I am overwhelmed by the choices.

I need-

Something that will do well in SE FL (Ft Lauderdale area).

Something that I can buy already somewhat mature (is this possible? I don't want to wait forever for it to grow)

Something that will do well in VERY LITTLE sunlight. There is a little sunlight in the morning, when the sun is rising in the east...but for the most part it is full shade.

I don't care about beauty or flowers (although of course that would be a nice bonus) I just want a thick hedge so I can lay out by the pool in my bikini and not feel like I am on display. Not that I am some supermodel everyone wants to gawk at...quite the contrary...I don't want anyone to see my jiggly butt or beer belly! :) If I looked like a supermodel, I would have no problem with the lack of privacy, LOL.

Thanks!

PS-I added a pic of the area. That is my neighbor's pool on the other side of the fence. We planted those fishtail palms quite awhile ago and they have not done much. That's my little boy, Bruno, in the pic also!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:841115}}

Comments (5)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus