SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

Heirloom Veggies, which ones are you growing?

I started acquiring seed of heirloom vegetables some time ago. Beans in particular have become another (sigh) addiction. Tomatoes and lettuce are two more that I can now keep my own seed.

I have an italian pole bean that was given to me back in 1965 by a then neighbor who told me these beans had been brought to the island from Italy in 1910, been growing this one for 44 years now. I have been trying to track down which bean they might be but so far they don't match up with any of the beans suggested they might be.

In my search to match up my italians I have acquired some really neat heirloom beans, family histories attached, in trades and that's not counting the italian bean seed I've bought in the meantime. It's going to take a few years to grow them all.

Do any of you have a family or favorite heirloom veggie you grow every year? I've discovered with beans in particular the tenderness and flavor far surpasses what you can buy at the supermarket.

On another note our city council is considering letting people keep 3 or 4 hens on lots less than an acre in size, more in tune with the 100 mile diet or maybe it should be called the 0 mile diet. Two thumbs up, another step toward being self sufficiency.

Annette

Comments (23)

• token28001
    14 years ago

I would love to have chickens here. They eat lots of bugs.

My heirlooms are all tomatoes passed down to me from other Garden Web traders. This was my first season growing them and I saved seeds from the best of each. My favorite was Green Zebra. Nothing else this year came close to the taste I prefer. I like a tart, acidic tomato. Sweet belongs in the fruit bowl, not on my sandwich.

• natal
    14 years ago

The only heirloom veggies I plant are tomatoes and only a few of those. Hybrids tend to have better production and flavor in my garden. Cherokee Purple is my most successful heirloom to date. I tried for years to grow different varieties of Brandywine ... Sudduth, Yellow, Pink ... all were disappointing. When I heard about the hybrid Brandy Boy had to give it a shot. Bingo! Good production and a nice acidic flavor.

Tom, don't ever grow Sun Gold cherries if that's the way you feel about sweet tomatoes. They're, hands down, my favorite! Extremely productive, sweet & fruity!

• Related Discussions

Which Veggies Grow in Standing Water?

Q

Comments (3)
    Asparagus absolutely requires good drainage. So do most other veggies, so any area that suffers through standing water or waterlogged soil for any length of time is going to seriously limit your choices. Glib has a great suggestion - construct a raised bed and then grow just about anything you want. Rice is a possibility, although not technically a veggie :-)
    ...See More

Which heirloom melons grow on short vines?

Q

Comments (3)
    spiced_ham Great suggestion; I never thought of growing them up a trellis or a cage. I bet if done right in rich soil they could be planted 2-3ft apart if grown in cages or up a trellis.
    ...See More

So have you harvested veggies yet? Which ones?

Q

Comments (4)
    We've been getting lots of tomatoes in the past 2 weeks. My favorites so far? Black cherry, Sophie's Choice, Cherokee Purple & Marianna's Peace. Still waiting on my fav from last year, Aunt Ginny's Purple. The larger beefsteaks are taking their time ripening! The eggplants aren't ready yet, another week or so. I've picked lots of hot peppers and a few sweet ones, too. I planted a Tawny Port Pepper this year. It's a real pretty brownish/greenish sweet pepper. I haven't tasted them yet. The zucchini was doing great until the vine borers killed 3 of the 4 that were planted! :( Lots of cukes, they just love this weather! We have terrible problems with fusarium wilt here (Bayville)on the tomato plants. The plants are still going, but a few are just about hanging in there. The worst hit was Kellogg's Breakfast, Andrew Rahart's Jumbo Red & Rutgers. I've gotten tomatoes from the Rutgers, but not the other two. I'm hoping the plants last long enough to ripen the tomatoes! It's been a good year though, much better than last year! kathy
    ...See More

Which HEIRLOOM cherry/grape tomatoes are you growing for 2011?

Q

Comments (4)
    Thank you for the link, kathywide! Last year at the Farmer's market I tried Yellow Pear, Snow White Cherry and Porter's Dark Cherry. None of them were as sweet as my Sugar Lump Cherries. Are Matt's Wild Cherry Tomatoes sweet?
    ...See More
  • girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

All of them :) Pretty much every single vegetable I grow is an heirloom. Not all, but 99%. Almost all of my fruit trees are also heirlooms.
    I love Green Zebra tomatoes. I'm also interested in the Brandy Boy. I don't mind some hybrids, especially in the South. But I'll stop there with the hybrids, since this is a discussion of Heirlooms.

This year my new heirloom was the Dad's Sunrise Tomato. Nice for a fresh tomato, but does not keep very well and is not a canner. A hard one to keep up with if you are getting overwhelmed with tomatoes. Made nice toasted tomato sandwiches though since they are HUGE slicers.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

I do have one from my Aunt that is just called German tomato.
    I don't know where she got it from. I haven't raised it in a few years, but still have some seeds so think I will try it again.

I am going to all heirlooms but one this year. I will grow Park's Whopper. I just ordered about 10 different varieties of heirlooms. I try to select the ones that are recommended for my type of conditions. I hope to raise a couple of each next year and see how they do. I would like to cull down to just a few varieties that do well for me and my particular garden.

My favorite one so far has been Granny Cantrell. I grew it a couple of seasons.

Last year was a disastrous tomato year.....couldn't have been worse. Too much rain and too cool....then too hot too soon.

I think Grandma used to grow the old canning variety Stone so I ordered a packet of them this year.

I think this is the earliest I have ever ordered seeds...and they are already being shipped. I was afraid that there would be a 'run' on seeds because of hard economic time.

I will grow Ky Wonder Pole Beans, Cherokee Trail of Tears and my old favorite from Park, which is a white seeded flat type of pole bean called Kwintus.

I have never saved lettuce seeds. May try that just for fun.

I also think I will switch from Cajun Delight Hybrid okra to an op variety so I can save seeds. For fun might plant a few of seeds from CDHO just to see what develops. If I decide to do that, I won't grow another variety...they cross pollinate.

As long as I have been gardening, I knew very little about cross pollination of varieties within species.

I ordered Seed to Seed by Suzanne Ashworth which is a great book about saving your own seeds. I highly recommend it if you are an unaware as I was about this subject.

Glenda

• ianna
    14 years ago

I started growing heirloom tomato last year although I could only manage to grow them in large pots for lack of space (in sunny location). I had great success with fruits aplenty and so will try it again next season.

Annette, try getting your seeds from Seeds of Diversity in Canada.

• solana
    14 years ago

Catching up on the serious side of this forum after a couple of computer-less months:

I'll put in a vote for Costata Romanesca zucchini. It's not watery and has a nutty/meaty flavor. The prominent ribs would never do in the grocery store.

I love Sun Gold cherry tomatoes' sweetness for eating out of hand, but they're a hybrid. For a not-as-sweet, slightly larger (plum-type?) tomato, try Principe Borghese. Very flavorful and perfect to cut in half for 'sun-dried' tomatoes. (No such thing as sun-dried here, I do in a low oven)

Also, Garden Peach tomato. It's not going to wow you with flavor in September when there are plenty of others. Come December, its ability to keep shines.

Fish is a really attractive hot pepper, similar to a Jalapeño, but variegated. Perfect as an accent specimen in a Cottage Garden.

My favorite beans are, alas, hybrids. Jade for flavor, Provider for canning (it matures all at the same time). One of these years I'll try some OP pole types.

Catalogs should be arriving any day. My favorite supplier for zone 5 climate is Fedco. No glossy pics. Amusing, intelligently informative descriptions. Dedicated to helping people save their own seed, great prices.

Ana

Here is a link that might be useful: Fedcoseeds.com

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Does anyone grow 'Cuisse de poulet shallot' (frog leg shallots), I've heard this french shallot is sweeter than most so thought I'd try it. I placed my order too late, all sold out at Richters.

Another question, does anyone know if potato onions are the same thing as multipliers?

Annette

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Annette:
    The onion thing is all mixed up.
    Multipliers are supposed to be the same as topsets, there are several kinds of topset onions but most are either red or white.
    Potato onions don't set replantable bulbils on the top, they multiply at the bottom by kind of sitting on the soil growing like a sideways shallot and having yellowish skins.

Does that help?

Original Author
    14 years ago

Glynis, so potato onions are different, I had never heard of them until a month or so ago never mind seen them for sale so was curious. Are they used like shallots or...
    Multipliers I've always used as a sub for green onions early in the season.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    14 years ago

I love both shallots and multipliers - I do tend to use them interchangeably. Hmmmmm. Had Egyptian/Walking Onions in the old garden - never again!!!
    I saved some brandywine seeds again this year - loved them. Lemon boy doesn't come true from seed, boo-hoo. Tried black-cherry toms - very underwhelmed, no flavour, an unattractive colour.
    Saved some seeds from the Cherokee Trail of Tears beans. Yumm.
    I don't really like zucinni for the watery aspect - maybe I need to try Costata Romanesca!!

Nancy.

• libbyshome
    14 years ago

Scarlet runner beans. My husband's favourite. Pick early before they get fully ripe.

Libby

Original Author
    14 years ago

Libby, I love scarlet runners too, haven't grown them for years but will be doing so next year. Runner beans are more an english favorite then they are over here, my grandparents were english so that explains why that was the only bean grown when I was young.
    I was given a few Insuk Wang Kong in a trade this fall, this one has a korean background, heard lots of good comments on this runner bean so I'm looking forward to trying it. I should have a few seed to share next fall if all goes well, let me know if you want a few to try.

Annette

• natal
    14 years ago

Lemon boy doesn't come true from seed, boo-hoo.

Annette, Lemon Boy is a hybrid, isn't it? I found the plants prolific, but the tomato lacked much flavor.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    14 years ago

This was my first year growing heirlooms. Five of the seven tomatoes I grew were heirloom- Cherokee Purple, Kellogg's Breakfast, Green Zebra (ick!), Pink Brandywine, and I think a pink Dutchman. CP is the only one of those that I will grow again- I want to try more varieties next year.
    I did the tomatoes in large pots this year, which was a bit of a mistake. The pots dried out way too fast.

I also want to move away from most (though not all) hybrids- one feels cheated when they learn the seed will not come true.

Loved the Scarlet Runners too. Wonderfully tender if picked at the right time. And I ADORED the snow peas- 'Oregon Sugar Pod II'. I am going to grow twice as much next year! I know "they" say peas do not hold up well in the fridge (sugars turn to starches isn't it?), but these tasted great even after nearly a month in there.
    CMK

• agardenstateof_mind
    14 years ago

Solana, I'm glad you had success with Principe Borghese; it did not do very well for me in '08, so I didn't try it again this past year (which was a dud of a year for tomatoes here, too). Cour di Buie, however has done very well for me, and even gave a respectable crop this summer, as did Yellow Pear. Also grew Cherokee Purple, Rutgers, San Marzano.

Beets 'Detroit Dark Red', radishes 'French Breakfast', , eggplant 'Rosa Bianca', pepper 'Cubanelle', peas 'Dwarf Gray Sugar'. Scarlet runner beans: this was the first year I grew them; had to search all over for the seeds, so have saved some for next year. I've since read they're very attractive to hummingbirds - was it coincidence this was the first year in a long time I've seen a hummer in the yard ... even though I have lots more they are supposed to like?

Having chickens appealed to me for a long, long time ... then I visited a B&B where the owners had them and did mention how much care they require ... I'm not so sure I'm ready for chickens just now.

Original Author
    14 years ago

Natal, yes 'Lemon Boy' is a hybrid, myself I don't care for yellow tomatoes too bland for me, I did grow a cherry 'Snow White' tho, sort of a creamy yellow that wasn't bad. I also grew 'Cheerio' another cherry which I really liked. My mainstay which I've grown for years is 'Celebrity' too bad it's a hybrid can't save seed, still looking for a heirloom to replace it. I think I'll try Cherokee Purple next year, everyone seems to love it but I think I'll have to blindfold DH and let him taste it before he sees it LOL. I'm like Tom I do like my tomatoes tangy :o).
    Heritage Harvest Seed in Manitoba has an awesome list of heirloom veggies in their catalog so will be placing another order with them soon.

It's my understanding one should not plant different varieties of open pollinated tomatoes too close to each other as they will cross, correct me if I'm wrong. We had one of the best summers in a very long time for tomatoes, we couldn't keep up with them, gave a lot away.

I finally found a source for Montreal Melon seed, this is going to be a project for next year. We don't have the best of climates for melons but if we have another summer like we did this year and I have a few tricks up my sleeve, we'll see LOL. I can remember having cantaloupe from the garden when I was around 10 so it can be done.

Annette

• party_music50
    14 years ago

Hello. I have to ask those that say they love Scarlet Runner Beans: how small should they be to pick and eat, and how do you prepare them?! I've been growing SRBs for about 5 years but have always treated them as an ornamental because I read too many times that they shouldn't be eaten! :(

I've also grown various heirloom tomatoes over the past 5 or 6 years... the only hybrid I'd ever grow again is Sun Gold (which is FANTASTIC!), but I bought more seed 2 years ago and it didn't come true. So disappointing! :(

Funny... I grew Principe Borghese this year for the first time... the plants were perfect little specimens. They were LOADED with tomatoes. And they tasted like crap to me! lol! I tasted them fresh. blech. So I dried a batch. more blech. Maybe they had that blight but just didn't show it?!

The heirloom tomatoes that I *have* to grow every year now are:
    - Pink Brandywine. I don't know which strain I have (got in trade), but they're huge and fantastic.
    - Oxheart. Huge and fantastic and nothing but "meat". I struggle to find enough seeds in them to save for each year!
    - Green Zebra. LOVE the taste and appearance, and the plants are smaller and always so productive for me.
    - Cherokee Chocolate. This was introduced as a mutation from the tomato man that reintroduced CP and I much prefer the color and flavor.
    - Kellogg's Breakfast. Huge, great taste, and just BEAUTIFUL color.
    - Gold Nugget. Not the best taste, but pretty and the most productive tomato ever for me -- and always the first ready to be picked! :) I've stuck with them for more than 10 years. lol!

I only have small veggie gardens, but other heirloom tomatoes I like and have grown more than once include Stupice (early!), White Wonder (AMAZING texture!), and Matt's Wild Cherry (too cute and *very* flavorful!). There are some I've tried that I won't bother with again, and so many that I've never tried!

aftermidnight: I plant my tomatoes very close and have been saving seed for years without bagging. Haven't had them cross yet. I read about how they self-pollinate and the chances of them crossing are very slim.

Original Author
    14 years ago

Partymusic, pick scarlet runners young before they get tough and stringy, before the seed starts to fill the pod. I like them frenched and steamed till tender. This is the only way I've eaten the them, yummy.
    I found this info in the link below with more info on them. I've never eaten them as a shellie or used them after they're dried, maybe someone else can chime in on how they cook them after they've been shelled. The mature seed is where the toxin is, cooking removes it

Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: Scarlet Runners

• party_music50
    14 years ago

Annette, thanks for that info. I'm not sure when they get tough -- I never tested. lol! I'll have to remember to watch them closely next season!

• flora_uk
    14 years ago

party music - as has been said Runner Beans are very popular over here. I grow Painted Lady. You need to pick them very young. If you can see the beans bulging through the pods it is probably too late. Prepare them and eat them any way you would an ordinary green bean. (What we call French beans) If you go over to the bean, pea and legume forum you will find a lot of information on runner beans. Until I went on that forum I had never even heard of 'shellies', which we don't really eat much at all here. And I do not particularly like runner beans as a dried bean either. But as a green bean they are excellent and will crop for months if sown successionally and picked regularly. I reckon to be picking them from early June to late October. I also grow favas which are very common here but less so in the States, I believe. We call them Broad Beans.

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Potato onion is like a strong "regular" onion. I use multipliers as green onion tops (I find a lot of people don't eat green onion tops in the US as much as in Canadian and Europe) and then as a whole onion in the spring.

I LOVE scarlet Runners. They are my favorite bean for taste as they are truly "beany" - however, we can't grow them well down here BUMMER! I should have done them early last year as we had a long spring. I think I could get some if the spring is long and drawn out. My mom grows them in Markham, Ontario and I eat my fill(and more) every summer.

Heirloom Tomatoes are a funny thing. I find them very regional. There are many I can not grow well here in the South but I grow Cherokee Purple, Green Zebra, brandywine strains, and many more well. I still like to experiment every year to see if I can expand the roster.

I also grow a lot of ethnic heirlooms from Italy, India, Thailand, Japan and China.

• helenh
    14 years ago

Solana, where did you get your garden peach tomato that you say is a good keeper. There is more than one called that. Does yours have fuzz?

• solana
    14 years ago

~ helenh: I got my original Garden Peach tomato seed from the FedcoSeeds catalog I linked above (not to be confused with fedco.com which sells light bulbs or some such!) My print copy catalog arrived since I posted that. It's item #4045PO on page 64. Yes, it is slightly fuzzy, which I think might be a factor in its keeping long. Not as annoying as fuzzy fruit-peaches. Those I peel unless cooking.

~flora_uk: I grow favas most years. In my short-season climate, they're a great substitute for lima beans. Can be planted at the same time as peas when the ground is still cool, and I love the scent when they bloom. Alas, they're subject to some fungal blight and by the time the beans are ready to harvest, the leaves are usually sooty-moldy. As a result, I've never saved the seed.

~Annette: about tomatoes cross-pollinating: If I "be the bee", i.e., walk around the garden when they're in bloom, tapping pollen from stamen onto style, I don't have much trouble with cross-pollination. I think the pollen is too heavy to be easily wind-borne. Cucumber family, squashes in particular, is what I worry about. For those, I fasten the toe of old panty-hose over the blossoms I plan to save seed from.

Sponsored