SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
token28001

I want a perennial purple grass

token28001
14 years ago

Something hardy to zone 7b. Anyone know of such a thing?

Comments (21)

• DYH
    14 years ago

I want the same thing! I planted the annual purple fountain grass, but would love to have something like it in a perennial. What I've found doesn't have blades that are deep purple, but there are some with purple blooms.

Cameron

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Bluestone lists one that should work for you all.

Here is a link that might be useful: red/purple grass

• token28001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Glenda, I've seen that one before but it's more red than purple. I'm not sure what I want even exists. I may just have to resign myself to something less purple than the annual grass we can get each spring here at the nurseries. Cameron has show hers in the container a couple times. I had a New Zealand flax earlier in the year. I lost it not long after planting. We had too much rain for it earlier in the year. Come to find out, it's not cold hardy for me either, so it's no big deal.

• treelover
    14 years ago

;-)

• mayland
    14 years ago

I havent found anything as purple as the annual grass (I'm in Atlanta and have looked for the same thing!).

Panicum virgatum "Shenandoah" (switch grass) is supposed to have reddish-purplish leaves in fall, but I think probably more burgundy than purple (i just planted one, so can't comment on true color yet).

Grasses with purple "flowers": Eragrostis spectabilis (purple love grass), Muhlenbergia capillaris (muhly grass - gorgeous purplish "haze"), also look at Pennisetum alopecuroides 'National Arboretum' and Pennisetum orientale 'Karley Rose', which both have a purplish effect (but not purple leaves).

See link below for some of these (i'm not advertising Lazy S's, i've ordered from them once but probably not again as their shipping charges were so high).

Not a grass, but there is a purple-leaved pineapple lily, Eucomis comosa "Sparkling Burgundy", which has big, strap-like purple leaves.

Also Cordyline Red Star, but that's probably too red.

Here is a link that might be useful: grasses

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Not exactly what you are looking for, but this has a greyish foliage that supposedly becomes purple-grey in winter and the flowers are purple in the late summer/fall. According to the Heaths and Heathers Nursery site, it is 16" tall x 20" wide.

http://www.heathsandheathers.com/cart5/cart5_Page3361.htm
    Calluna vulgaris ÂSilver KnightÂ

• natal
    14 years ago

Mayland, were you satisfied with the plant quality from Lazy S'? I'm compiling an order for early next year.

• mayland
    14 years ago

Natal, I ordered 4 plants from them last October (Callistemon Woodlanders Red, Sambucus nigra "Black Lace", Ceanothus "Zanzibar", and Acanthus "Summer Beauty"). They were a reasonable size (~1 qt size pots), and all appeared healthy.

The Ceanothus died over the winter. Their return policy sounded fair and I probably could have contacted them and asked for a replacement, but to be fair I dont think it was anything to do with the plant they sent -- I think it was just that we had a wet winter and ceanothus doesnt like that and had not had chance to get established beforehand.

The other 3 are doing well. Overall I think the plants were as good as those from Bluestone (my only comparison), but not better quality, and the shipping is just a lot more (and there are no sales/coupons!). I paid $19 shipping on an order of $47. I would use them again to buy a hard-to-find plant, but I'd buy more common plants elsewhere for less.

• token28001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Treelover...Don't think I won't.

I'll do some research tonight on all the suggestions.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

treelover, meant to tell you that I really did LOL when I saw your suggestion! Terrific. Funny reply, too, Tom!

• DYH
    14 years ago

Please don't plant Love Grass! My husband declares that we'll never rid our property of all the seedlings. A nursery owner, who is considered an expert, talked us into an entire flat of those several years ago. Big Mistake! I finished digging all of them out this year, but the offspring are still springing up.

• mayland
    14 years ago

oh no - i just planted 3 love grass plants! sounds like I should perhaps rip them out. I thought that b/c it was a native, it wouldn't be too aggressive. Thank you for the warning!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Now that you have piqued my curiosity, I found another possibility at Digging Dog Nursery: Erica cinerea ÂPurple Beauty It is a heath that blooms purple from June to October, I think.

• lindakimy
    14 years ago

Token, we can't always get what we want...LOL

Why not grow an annual grass since several of them (millet, f.e.) have a much more purple color than the perennial ones?

I grant you, a perennial grass is very low maintenance but if you simply HAVE to have purple it may take a bit of effort - a small price to pay anyway since you'd probably be out there working in the garden anyway, right?

BTW, I have several of the Shenandoah grasses and LOVE them but they are more red than purple.

• token28001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've got my eye on a millet that is supposed to be purple. I tried Purple Majesty this year and only got one plant from two packs of seed. I'll try again next year, but if it fails again, I'll just have to choose the annual variety. I just hate buying something every year simply because I can't overwinter it. Or can I keep the purple fountain grass indoors during the winter in the basement? Hmmm...

• DYH
    14 years ago

Mayland -- it may be my zone is perfect for seedlings. Just cut off the seed heads before they ripen. I didn't because I had so many of the grasses. They are beautiful, fluffy and work great with perennials.

• natal
    14 years ago

I would use them again to buy a hard-to-find plant

Mayland, that's why I'll probably order from them. Thanks!

• dynamite1959
    14 years ago

I put in some 'Ophiopogon P Arabicus', considered commonly as black mondo. It doesn't really look black though, it was more the color of Welch's grape juice. Look it up on line to see if it will suit your tastes and the area/zone.

• token28001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think next year I will order some of the Miscanthus Purpurascens. It seems to be the closest thing to the purple fountain grass I hate paying money for each spring. I didn't buy any this year. I bought only perennial grasses.

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

I want some too - I'll ask David at Gardenhood, mayland. He will have the answer! I've never gotten into grasses before, and they have a selection at Gardenhood, and a good selection of colored foliage leaves right now.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    14 years ago

Treelover, LOL!!! Sooooo funny!!!

Token, even thought the M. Purpurascens may not be what you're looking for in a purple grass, it is a great addition to the garden. It is defintely one of my favorite plants in the garden.

I'm going to try the same 'Shenandoah' that Mayland planted. It may somewhat be the closest thing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Panicum virgatum 'Shenandoah'

Sponsored