SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilyfinch

Do you enjoy feeding the birds ?

As you all may know ( and be tired of hearing ) , we moved to a home this summer out in the country . We are on the edge of cow and horse farmland , with a lake view . It's very close , just at bottom of our lot.
Anyway , all summer I had a few finches and two cardinals . We have mockingbirds for sure . But very little takers at my feeders. I used to fly thru seed in our close quarters neighborhood . But not now !
We do have a bit of brush for them to hide in .
Anyway , any ideas ? I was thinking of getting a fresh bag of seed , but don't want to waste money . I use black oil sunflower seed . And thistle in a feeeder but I think the holes are too small . The sunflower seed feeders look like gazebos , and one is brand new and the other has been cleaned recently .
Just feeling a little sad , as I assumed out here we would have more birds to admire ! We were blessed to have hummingbirds the previous owners had attracted , so that was nice .
Also , if u care to share your bird photos or setups please do !! Id love to see. :) what do you do / use ?
Any luck with safflower seed ? I bought a bag and no one ate from that . Hmmm .
Next year I am planning on zinnias and sunflowers for some lure hopefully .

Comments (28)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

You'll get more visitors looking for warmer haunts as winter comes, don't give up. I buy 50 lbs of oilers and 50 lbs of fine cracked corn and mix 2 scoops of oilers: 1 scoop of corn. I get no waste other than the sunflower hulls, which ARE mildly allelopathic to most plants, so consider that when you locate your feeder. I find that birds turn their beaks up at a large fraction of the seeds in most "Wild Bird Seed" mixes.

{{gwi:56172}}
    {{gwi:3287}}
    {{gwi:10863}}

Al

This post was edited by tapla on Sun, Oct 26, 14 at 22:15

• tndaisy
    9 years ago

When I fed my birds B.O. sunflower seed, the squirrels got most of it. I switched to safflower seed, which is more expensive, but the squirrels mostly leave it alone. The birds love it...

• Related Discussions

Enjoying the birds

Q

Comments (15)
    This year is hummer central at my house! I've NEVER seen so many hummers before! And it's standing room only at the feeder - four perched eating with at LEAST five waiting, hovering, perching elsewhere, giving the evil eye to those already feasting. LOL I've even seen them bump or peck another one off the feeder perch. I must admit, I've wanted to do that a couple times in the kitchen when I'm really hungry. :D I used to have 2 feeders a couple years ago, but I didn't have enough visitors to make them both worth it. Now, I have to fill up my over-4-cup-capacity feeder daily. Not that I'm complaining! :D I've seen them do that weaving, back-and-forth, almost hypnotic thing when they're trying to intimidate another visitor. One will sometimes "weave" another one to the ground in its attempt to scare it off. I've even seen one following Pookie kitty when she gets too close to the feeder! It's hilarious, seeing her walking real fast, ears back, knowing SOMEthing is back there, hustling her out of the area. LOL!!! Brenda
    ...See More

Chas/James Island (zone 8) - enjoying the birds

Q

Comments (4)
    I put out hulled,chopped sunflower seed. Costlier but it removes the toxic hulls and there is less loss of seed because the birds can swallow the smaller pieces. Thus, less rodent attracting seed on the ground. It is the only seed that seems to attract the bluebirds to the feeder here. I imagine you have a very wide variety of natives and migrating birds. You live in my favorite part of USA. Planting tall perennials with persistent seedheads attracts the gymnastic finches and other smaller birds which are fun to watch.
    ...See More

feeding birds has created a tree damage problem

Q

Comments (7)
    Thank you for responding, it's been a heavy hearted day. I did take some pics, then I got some waterproof foil tape and wrapped it loosely around the trunk, only adhering the tape back onto itself (so no adhesive on trunk.) We also cut up some holographic poster board into strips and hung strips around the tree...that's supposed to scare the birds off. I took down the feeders completely, with a very heavy heart and will put them back up in a few days....on another area of the property. Unfortunately, I also have another new tree in the backyard which also has lichen growing on it, so I don't want to put those feeders near there. The feeders won't be anywhere in my viewing area, which is a big bummer for me. We couldn't get the reflective tape or holographic strips and into the upper 3rd of the tree and we saw a woodpecker land...however, the bird left soon thereafter, since there was no food around. At the same time, we saw a male and female Baltimore Oriole land on the tree and I just about swooned...we have not seen them before! I do think I could get some orange out for them and the woodpeckers would not be interested, right?
    ...See More

What do you do about sick birds in yard?

Q

Comments (11)
    As someone that has dealt with 2 rounds of this, let me say I am sorry, I know how hard it is to watch. I have had to deal with dozens of finches and siskins die. I took a sampling of them to a rehabber who in turn sent them to the State for reports. I did work with the rehabber and try to treat some of them with no luck. Because it is warm and natural food is plentiful I would defiantly take down all the feeders. If it were the dead of winter (when my 2 bouts have happened) I would give different advise. Hopefully this will slow it down. They will still congregate on natural foods. One good thing is that this is happening early enough that it should run it's course before supplemental feeding is really needed. Keeping spillage under the feeders clean is also very important. As hard as it sounds this happens and there's not much we can do. It will pass and the spices will not be wiped out for good though your numbers may be down for a year or two. In the winter I went to covering the ground of each feeding station with fresh snow and cleaning each feeder daily. I don't know that it did any good. I think it just runs it's course. At this time of year I think not feeding is the best option.
    ...See More
    9 years ago

Here in MI, I did a side by side experiment with safflower seed (I used to think I would get more cardinals if I fed safflower) and black oilers. I put a 60" board on a bird bath pedestal. On each end, I tacked down a lid from a mayonnaise jar - this is back when the lids were metal. I filled the lids even to the top - one with oilers and one with safflower. The safflower would barely get touched until the oilers were completely gone. I even reversed the position of the seed so the safflowers were where the oilers were with the same result.

I use a plastic dome over my feeders and hang 'em high enough that squirrels get nothing but frustrated - or what they find on the ground, so the squirrel thing is not an issue for me, but of course other's MMV.

Al

• Pyewacket
    9 years ago

OK, I am officially jealous.

How did you get that bird to perch on your hand????

Lilyfinch, give it some time. It takes birds awhile sometimes to become accustomed to new things. In my last residence it took the goldfinches SIX MONTHS to find my nyjer feeder. Then they started mobbing it - must have been like February? Months, anyway.

Once the goldfinches started feeding at the nyjer feeder, I had other birds coming to the other feeder - which at first had some stupid wildbird seed mix I ended up with accidentally. It was mostly junk, and junk that was only attractive to cowbirds at that. Thankfully they didn't find it before I got rid of it.

I have found that if you want to switch to safflower seed, if you just withdraw the BOS seed altogether, they'll eat the safflower. After awhile they become accustomed to it and will feed in the same numbers as before. If you then offer BOS they will sometimes continue to prefer the safflower seed.

However sadly, given that the reason people usually switch to safflower to start with is because they want to discourage some other critter such as English house sparrows or what have you, the undesirable critters often eventually habituate to the safflower seed as well. So its kind of a toss-up as to how useful it is to switch to safflower to discourage somebody you don't like seeing at the feeder, LOL!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I agree to give it more time. Once they learn the feeders are there, your numbers will increase greatly. If you are anywhere near the migratory flyway, you may see a drop-off in the fall. My birds are not eating nearly as much now-combination of lots of berries and other sources as well as hawks which pass through twice a year and cause the birds to stay away somewhat more.

I use only sunflower seed at this point. I agree that the mixes are not appealing to most song birds. Our squirrels ate the safflower seed (actually, they will eat anything and everything here) when I tried that, so I just make sure I have enough of the hulled sunflower for everybody. I have two of the Yankee Droll type feeders with pegs for the smaller birds who can perch and two large tray feeders for others like the cardinals who cannot perch. I usually scatter some seed on the patio in the morning as well. If you plant cone flowers, the goldfinches will come. It is so much fun to watch them balance on the flowerheads to eat the seeds. I also have two suet feeders (not used in heat of summer). One other draw is water and that may be even more important in getting birds to your yard. I have five bird baths and three under-pot saucers of water around the front and back yards. The birds also come to the two water dishes that we put out for the pups. All this is on a half-acre property.

You may want to plant a tree or two and shrubs if you don't have any. They do need to feel safe and close to cover. I even have them waiting their turns in the trees and bushes.

Don't give up! They will come.

Al, those are wonderful pictures! I would love to get to that point with mine. Chickadees are favorites.

9 years ago

As a youth and younger man, I spend countless hours afield hunting, exploring, and as a student of nature. For some reason, I've never had a problem taming birds to the hand, often within minutes. The pictures you see with the birds on my hand were taken less than 10 minutes after I decided I'd like some digital photos similar to the old fashion pictures I have of birds landing all over me.

Here's how I would suggest you do it:

Works best in winter when there is some snow cover. Day 1 - Remove all your feeders and hang a small can filled with sunflower seeds on a tree that provides some security for the birds. Alternately, reduce the number of feeders you have to one, and locate it under a tree with security cover. The can or feeder should be about chest high. The farther away from any neighboring feeders you are, the easier and faster you'll have 'tame' birds.

Next day. Go to the spot and remove the can or feeder to where birds can't see it. Be matter of fact about it - don't look around for birds because you'll look like a predator. You can put sunflower seeds on top of your hat and just look down at the ground. Don't move or look up, I often close my eyes to slits. You should soon have chickadees landing on your hat. After several have landed, slowly remove the seeds from the hat and hold them in a hold them in your palm. The birds will quickly adjust to the new source of seeds.

It sounds weird, but try to look like part of the tree, move slowly when you do move, don't look like a predator by looking directly at the birds or seeming to be keenly interested in their movements. That's how I do it, and I regularly amaze people with how fast it can be done.

Nuthatches and tits will be the second bird to join the fun. Nuthatches won't land on you, however. You'll need to be leaning against a tree to gain their trust. They'll land on the tree above you and hop down the tree, then onto you. You might need to go back to the hat trick for a while to get the nuthatches to cooperate.

Al

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Al , thanks so much for sharing your photos and stories !! How delightful to have them sit on your hand like that . I do have lots of trees and a lot of brush , and I don't use the cheap mixed millet seed . No squirrels that I have seen !
    How long before I throw away the bag if seed and start over ? The feeder I recently changed out when there was heavy rain .
    I will of course , keep on waiting !! Just so surprised I have so few takers .

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    9 years ago

We feed the birds here and had always used BOS. But the hulls were so messy. We changed to a clean "woodpecker" mix a number of years ago which is seed and nuts. We weren't sure if we would lose our variety of birds, but were pleasantly surprised to find they all swarm to it. We still have the usual suspects show up and throw some on the ground for cardinals, towhees and other varieties that prefer to feed on the ground. It is more expensive, but no mess at all and every last speck is eaten by bird or chipmunk or squirrel. Our feeders are right under the eves of the first floor of the house and the squirrels can't get to them. I think the birds feel pretty protected there. We also have a crabapple and large weigela close to the feeder and other small trees they queue up in. We have a tube feeder with a cage around it, a very large tube feeder and two nut feeders. Hands down ALL the birds prefer the nut feeders. Those are always emptied first followed by the tube w/cage and then the large tube feeder.

We also have a heated birdbath that we use throughout the winter months.

They'll find that little slice of heaven you've got there for sure!

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

I've been feeding the birds in winter since my kids were in elementary school and both are now in their 40's. I use a mixed seed from Agway called Concerto that brings in many different birds. I mix that with thistle, safflower and partially shelled sunflower seeds for the finches, cardinals and other picky eaters. I have two gazebo type
    feeders--one hanging under a squirrel baffle in the crabapple tree in front of my house and another made of wood that's mounted on a pipe in the middle of my front lawn. I also have a couple of suet feeders hanging from different tree branches for the woodpeckers.

I generally see quite an assortment of birds: cardinals, bluebirds, yellow finches, purple finches, several different woodpeckers including the one with a red cap on his head. Nuthatches, titmice, sparrows and the occasional grosbeak as well. Once spring rolls around, the robins make good use of my birdbath.

My neighbors also feed the birds so they're accustomed to finding a smorgasbord around here in winter. One neighbor brought his snow-blower last winter and cleared a path so I could keep the feeders filled.

I carefully designed my garden beds with pollinators in mind; they're all planted with perennials that attract and sustain bees, butterflies and birds, from Lenten rose that blooms in March to phlox & toad lily that bloom late in the growing season. I often see the hummingbird zipping around the garden.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Al, you've got the magic touch. We feed the birds year round, shelled black oil sunflower seeds and we have a suet feeder up. Now that we have the Anna hummingbirds year round we have to keep their feeders full too, if we don't they come around to the dining room window and stare in at us until we get with it LOL. In the winter we also feed the birds in my lath house throw the sunflower seed right on the gravel, the birds keep the weeds down with all their scratching :).

Annette

• Pyewacket
    9 years ago

Yup, I think there's some magic in your hands, Al. I feel fortunate that I can sit within 10' of the feeder and watch them through the binoculars! I've noticed they've gotten a lot shyer in the last month or so, but all summer it was nice to be able to just sit there quietly and watch.

I only feed the thistle in a wire nyjer feeder (no perches, clingers only) and shelled sunflower seed. I had to bring in my sunflower seed feeder because it got mobbed by the dreaded English house sparrows - they were cleaning it out in a day or so, and scared all the other birds out of the yard, except the pigeons. My hummers never did come back. They even chased off the mountain jays.

Now I have taken off the perches and wrapped some of that plastic gutter guard around the outside so only clingers can use it. It's not great, but the goldfinches and a bird I keep meaning to get around to identifying (but haven't yet) do use it but not as much as the nyjer feeder. I get the goldfinches on that, of course, and one very determined song sparrow that keeps coming back. Seems to have developed a taste for the nyjer seed, LOL!

I get some pine siskins and mourning doves cleaning up the spilled seed, and pigeons seem to like the spilled nyjer. I had some quail coming into the yard for awhile but now that I think of it, I've not seen them for awhile. There is a quail block out for them and they were using it - oddly the pigeons seem to be ignoring it lately. The siskins and some other little birds were feeding on it but perhaps they've migrated as I've not seen them on it lately either.

Getting them to feed out of your hand is super-cool! I don't think they would come to me no matter HOW long I stood out there, LOL!

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

I love chickadees! Thanks for sharing :)

Original Author
    9 years ago

Ctnchpr- what a great pic !! I decided after the advice above , I am going to look for a good blend. Maybe that will help. I have all the brush you could need , trees , and I hear them ! I just want to see them ! Lol

• 1212dusti
    9 years ago

What a great thread! What gardener doesn't enjoy feeding birds? I love seeing the birds happily feeding, and they appreciate it when food gets scarce.

• southerngardening24
    9 years ago

ctnchpr what a beautiful picture!

Original Author
    9 years ago

If anyone is following this , I just had a major realization that I hadn't before. I have trees and brush all around , but not near the feeders. I actually put the feeders in a location perfect for seeing inside the home. But the closest safe tree is too far away . I can't believe I didn't realize this ! And I had pots nearby with roses and butterfly bush but had planted them all . So now the feeders are out in the open , without much for them to wait on but the shephards hooks. Can't believe I didn't realize that .
    Going to brainstorm now ! Too late to plant I think and I don't want to anyway ! Lol

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Trudge out there and hang them from the tree limbs if you have a smallish tree or one with low limbs. As I think I said, my feeders hang under the deck above the patio outside our lower level which we really don't use because...IT IS UNDER THE DECK! Stupid planning. Anyway, it makes a perfect spot for the feeders and I have surrounded it with trees and shrubs (Vitex agnus, sweet bay magnolia, etc.). There is an evergreen viburnum outside one bedroom window that is also a favorite waiting place as are the window ledges. They may need to feel protected from people watching from inside. When I go downstairs and they see me, they scatter. That doesn't happen often though, so they are not awfully skittish and simply fly a foot or two to the trees.

One reminder even though I already mentioned this. Water is a must, even in winter. I cover my two large cement baths with contractor sized trash bags and press the bag into the dish part, so I can add water, but if it freezes, it won't crack the cement. With the smaller ones, I just tip them over on their sides every evening when it is going to get below freezing. So far, no cracks. A water source will bring them to your yard, but the bird bath also needs to be in an area near safe trees/shrubs.

Keep us posted. I am looking forward to hearing that you are seeing lots of hungry birds!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi cyn !
    I do have a bath there too . I dragged a bench over to the feeders to give them a landing spot . Tomorrow I will post a pic of my set up , so you can see. I can move every thing over to the shrub area but I won't be able to see from the living room . They don't get spooked by us looking out the window , as they are one floor down and several yards away . Our hummers are very brave and come up to the deck by the living room window , and don't mind if we are close ! I love them .
    I did update my lousy finch feeder with a screen feeder and fresh seed.
    An early Christmas gift to the birds ! Lol
    My neighbor had a vitex and it was so pretty !! I'm going to add it to my list of plants to try .
    Happy bird watching !

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Oh, I love hummers. I saw one at my hanging baskets one year and I saw one once this past summer. How fun!

If they aren't bothered by you at the window, I would probably keep the set up you have for the time being. It is so much fun to watch them and our set-up doesn't really give us that. Lucky you. Now, I am thinking I should add a feeder or two where we could watch all the time! It is just so darn easy stepping out the door downstairs to refill-especially in the cold weather! Wonder if I could put DH in charge of feeders somewhere else...hmmm.

• shillanorth Z4 AB
    9 years ago

This is from late winter - in the crabapple tree. If you plant it they will come!!!! There is a suet feeder and a peanut tray in this tree which is very popular with the downy, hairy, pileated, flicker woodpeckers and the blue jays.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Lilyfinch, when you get your Vitex agnus, don't panic and think it died the second year-mine is so very late to leaf out-later than anything else.

Shillanorth, love that pileated. I would be thrilled to see one here. Lots of other flickers and woodpeckers, but none of those, although I sometimes think I hear one. Guessing everything will change next year though. Our elderly neighbor who owns the woods behind our house is not doing well and I think her daughter may be going to sell her nine acres. Guessing the guys in the woods yesterday are developers. Does not bode well for the foxes, deer, coyote, etc. that live there. Not enough to sustain and protect them on the 1/2 to 14 acre lots surrounding her property. Hoping we can talk the daughter into selling us a little strip-maybe even a half acre to add to the 1/2 we already own. Wonder if the other neighbors would go in to protect some of the wild space. :(

• bogturtle
    9 years ago

Years and years with this feeder. Squirrels would climb up, learn to hang in a way that would not close it, as it was designed to close with the weight of one. Clever little destroyers. Have stories of the chewing damage they do to outdoor furniture and my siding.
    Cut a piece of galvanized ductwork in a circle and put it on a screw into the copper pipe, They used to climb up and I got tired of oiling the pipe. Was funny to see them slide back down.
    A mixture of black oil sunflower and mix that includes some of that, usually on sale and stored in a metal garbage can.
    Suet hangs in a feeder also.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Wonderful photo!

• caroline94535
    9 years ago

In my experience here in North Dakota, the high-oil, high-protein, easily-shelled Black Oil Sunflower Seed is the only way to go.

It is by far the preferred seed of all the native seed-eating birds. They get the most nutritional bang for my buck from it. The nasty English House Sparrows do not favor it. If I see them I know they're starving. I have a Purple Martin colony, and nesting chickadees and tree swallows so those HoSP are not welcome in my yard.

As for the "mixes," the birds will root through it, eat the BOSS, and toss the rest, unless there's some nyjer/thistle seed in the mix.

I have several types of feeders to cater to different bird species, but they each hold BOSS. I also offer suet, suet pellets, and one upside down nyjer/thistle feeder that restricts this black gold to just the American gold finches and pine siskins. The other birds cannot hang upside down and eat at the same time.

I love my birds, and this year I'm being treated to several flocks of wild turkeys! They come several times a day and eat - yes - black oil sunflower seed that we toss on the ground for them.

My birds are the high light of these cold, dreary winter days, and the joy of my spring and summer!

Here's some of the turkeys, and a suet-loving red-breasted nuthatch.

• caroline94535
    9 years ago

A couple years ago we had a large influx of both red wing and white wing crossbills. I don't have a good camera, and it's hard to get photos through the porch railing.

I had added peanuts to the BOSS to appease some of the Blue Jays.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Caroline Thank you for the pictures and advice !! I did receive a nice new feeder for Christmas and just put it up. The birds are finally back to the feeders for us to enjoy ! I believe maybe there were so many seeds to forage for around the area that now they are ready for us .
    How cool that you have turkey's eating seed too !!and I have never seen a crossbill , what a pretty bird !
    Can you tell me about purple martins and why you put up a house for them? I have seen houses for them in town and wondered if I should try one . I do have a family of something that lives in our deck rafters and we have a few cardinal pairs around , and blue birds . Wondering what kind of houses I should put up this spring ! :)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

I used to have bird feeders, but not since we have had an active population of black bears. While I like having them around, I don't want to train them to think that our house = food. Although the bears hibernate, they are awake before there are many food sources for seed eaters, and I hate to habituate the birds to my feeders and then have to remove them in early spring. I do want to put out a heated bird bath for winter, though, and may try a suet feeder since about the time I would have to bring in the feeder due to the bears waking up, there would be insects available for the suet eaters. We do have a lot of birds, but they don't spend as much time near the house as they would if we had feeders. I do plant for the birds and often have nests in shrubs near the house, seed eating birds on plants where I've let the seed heads stand, and insect eaters in the shrubbery.

Purple martins eat flying bugs, so that is one of the reasons folks put up houses for them. Since you plan to put up bird houses, read up about the requirements for a house that the birds will use, the preferred size openings for different birds, and how best to site them since different types of birds look for different set-ups.

Here's some general information on bird houses from the National Wildlife Federation:
    http://www.nwf.org/How-to-Help/Garden-for-Wildlife/Gardening-Tips/Attracting-Nesting-Birds.aspx

The link below is from Cornell University Lab of Ornithology's Project Nest Watch. If you go to the LEARN tab in the upper right part of the page, there are various articles about bird houses and landscaping for bird habitat that you may find useful.

Until you have more shrubs or small trees near your feeders for landing spots, you can put a lage tree branch or old Christmas tree in a pot and fill the pot with rocks or gravel to hold it in place.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cornell's Project Nest Watch

Sponsored