SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
espo8

I.D. Fig Variety please...

17 years ago

I've been growing this fig for ten years now. Dont know the variety, was given to me by a friend. I just found this website and was hoping one of you experts can please identify. It produces a "breba" crop, a main crop and if october is warm a third crop. Thanks Anthony

PLEASE SCROLL DOWN FOR PICTURE

{{gwi:845426}}

Comments (37)

• 17 years ago

I was able to enlarge the previous picture, hope this helps in the identification. Thanks

{{gwi:845427}}

• 17 years ago

The size and shape of the fruit is reminiscent of the variety Longue d'Aout. Following is a description from Condit in Hilgardia, p. 446:

Longue dÂAoût. Described and illustrated by Simonet et al. (1945, 1947) as a two-crop variety, grown at Sollies-Pont. Brebas above medium, up to 5 inches long and 1-3/4 inches in diameter, elongated-pyriform, very oblique; neck long and curved; stalk of medium length; surface corrugated by numerous, prominent ribs; eye slightly protruding, open, scales brownish; color of skin golden yellow, with brown tinge on the sunny side; pulp light red; flavor insipid. Second-crop figs medium, 2-1/4 inches long, pyriform, somewhat ribbed; neck short, or none; stalk up to 3/4 inch in length; eye closed; skin green, flushed with violet-brown; pulp rose-colored; quality mediocre.

Merry Christmas!

Joe

• Related Discussions

Help I.D. variety of my Brown Turkey

Q

Comments (15)
    Hello ayyubaddeen, What is the name of the nursery you got your Brown Turkey tree from? I got a Brown Turkey tree from Just Fruits and Exotics and the little figs have green eyes still. The leaves look a lot like your tree's leaves. My tree is still a little baby and the leaves aren't as large, or as dark green as your tree's leaves are. noss
    ...See More

i.d. fig variety please!!!

Q

Comments (50)
    "I do have a small plant of UCD Brn Trk,and one Small Bayernfeige From Gene.This is identical To Bayernfeige,in shape of leaf and fruit." Herman... 8/6/07 Are you saying that (you believe) UCD Brn Tky is V. Bayernfeige? When did you get the UCD BT? ....I've got a fig that I received from a friend of my wife. It was in her yard when she moved in (years ago) and it had produced (unprotected) for years (previous owners were the stereotypical little old Italian family who still, presumably after decades in this country, spoke with thick Italian accents). This year it has produced a single (still small and green) fig and I'm hoping to post a pic when (if) it ever ripens. I have a couple of shots here that I'll post, but I understand that id'ing figs is difficult ~Chills
    ...See More

I D this ebay fig I bought....

Q

Comments (22)
    To all fig enthusiasts who have been discusing my fig trees offered on ebay. as stated above I have defintly identified the tree formerly called BIG FIG as BRUNSWICK. The photos at the top of the page are mine. I nolonger display the leaf photo because it caused to much confusion. [ To clarify ]-- The leaf shown in this photo grew in deep shade. While very beautiful it is not typical of the tree. Leaves grown in full sun are much shorter while maintaining similar shape. My thanks to loslunasfarms for helping me identify this tree. As to souring I only have this happen ocasionaly. Generaly we get tons of perfect figs. [ Heres one for all you fig nuts out there. ] My BRUNSWICK fig tree is planted to close to a large plum tree and has adopted a leaning habit trying to get more sun. Aside from looking funny I have been concerned that as the crown developes it might fall over. It has been tied to the wood shed for about 3 years in an attempt to straiten it. This winter I got out the tree saw and cut a wedge out of the trunk at the 2 foot level and pulled it up strait closing the gap. Now I have a strait tree. I tied it in place and wraped the wound in duct tape. The plum tree will be cut back sevearly to allow more sun to my newly straitend fig tree.
    ...See More

Please, can someone tell me what variety this fig tree is?

Q

Comments (3)
    Just google the scientific name and see what turns up. A quick look found a plant for sale here: https://www.burncoose.co.uk/site/plants.cfm?pl_id=1740.
    ...See More
  • 17 years ago

Nice fig. Is it a green fig or purple/brown when ripe? Your tree has mosaic virus which is endemic to figs (spots on leaves). I point this out because alot of folks are so needlessly worried about FMV. But look how healthy and productive your tree looks otherwise. Are your figs sweet and flavorful?

• 17 years ago

Joe, I have Longue d'Aout (got it from Leon) but the leaves are different from what's in this photo. I checked my files, but unfortunately I don't have a photo handy to share.

• 17 years ago

Hi, Gene,

I'm definitely not an expert on the Longue d'Aout fig, as I don't have it in my collection. I don't have a picture of the leaves, either. The following picture of the ripe fruit of Longue d'Aout is from the Mercado-Verde German website:

Joe

• 17 years ago

Joe, you're right the fruit does have a similar shape. Maybe Espo8 will say more about the ripe fruit color.

• 17 years ago

I could be Longue D'Aout but I am in doubt.

I have one and, in my opinion, the "fingers" of the Longue D'Aout leaf are narrower and more serrated than those in the picture. This, and the particular shape of the breva fig (like a banana, the big one in the below picture) are the more specific characteristics of this variety.

You can see the description of the Longue D'Aout here (sorry, in french):

{{gwi:845429}}

• 17 years ago

Sorry! obviously, I am not a Longue D'Aout fig ;-)
    I wanted to say in my previous post: "It could be Longue D'Aout"...

• 17 years ago

Thanks for trying guys but i dont think it is longue D'aout because the leaf is so very different. And my picture is a breba fig. When compared to the one illustrated it is not as "bananna" shaped. This tree is very prolific and i just got a digital camera for christmas so in June i will have much better pictures Thanks P.S ( Does anybody Know The diffrence between lynhurst white and Brooklyn White?)

• 17 years ago

Try a better tree/leaf/fruit picture next year...
    About them 'white' [a common misused] fig's name...
    good luck for you, me and all of us!

• 17 years ago

george, i dont understand about them whites is there a difference between lynhurst white and brooklyn white? Thanks

• 17 years ago

Yes I do: Lindhurst white is many times superior to Brookleen White in everything,Adaptation, Taste Behivor,etc,etc.

• 17 years ago

herman,thanks the reason why im interested in knowing is that im trying to pick a white variety for taste and productivity for the northern new jersey area to plant in my special row in the ground. I currently have desert king and latterula a.k.a. italian honey fig as my two white figs and im not satisfied with the production and taste of the latterula, maybe im doing something wrong? However my desert king is tremendous and im satisfied with it's productivity. Any suggestions? Merry Christmas to all

• 17 years ago

UcDavis Adriatic,and Ucdavis Col de Dame.Do not Get it from another sources,because they could not be true to Name.
    Unless the person atests it comes from UC Davis.
    I do Have two small Desert King one from Burnt Ridge Nursery and One from UC Davis.Where is yours from And how Good it is?

• 17 years ago

Anthony,
    Sorry for the confusion.
    I agree with Herman that between LW and BW,
    the LW is the better of the two.
    It is a keeper for me.
    If you decide to want it, I may be able to help you out...
    George (NJ).

• 17 years ago

Herman, Im so happy to see someone concerned about a fig tree being true to name. I've worked so hard, wasted a lot of time and have been discouraged over and over again. Beacuse of garden centers selling fig trees that can't even produce (maturing fruit) in the zone that their selling the tree in. And Nursery catalogs selling varieties that arent the true variety and produce "shrivled" fruit that fall off before maturing.
    Yes I Like my desert king, It is very vigorous, probably the most vigorous tree I own. Second in place is the unknown tree I have pictured above. I bought my king in 1996 from raintree nursery along with my Violette de Bordeaux. I first started growing king as a single trunk tree, but by 2004 it just became too difficult to cover. So i decided to change my system to multi trunk. So now i am able to bend the trees down and am not dealing with a 10 foot ladder anymore. I like king because it gives me figs by july 15th, so the harvest is not all at once in august and september. The only mistake I made was by planting king and this unknown variety together in the same hole about two feet apart. Everything was ok untill i learned about summer pruning right after the harvest with king. Because king starts re-growing again vigoursly and i noticed the other varieties leaves would turn yellow. Also the fruit will not all ripen, leaving me with alot of unripe fruit in November. I was thinking Herman, should i seperate them? or leave it alone and fertilize more often. I reviewed a message someone posted about planting two varieties in one hole and you had said to seperate the roots with a plastic band. Well i would never be able to do this unless i seperated them totally. Also if its ok to keep them together should i plant other varietys the same way in the near future? Allowing me too have many types of figs in the same size area, eaiser to cover for the winter.

P.S. Gorgi, My next white will either be adriatic, col de dame or lyndhurst. If you could help me out with the lyndhurst it would be much appreciated. Which one of these do you guys think is the best choice for me? By the way i think we all live close to each other.

Thanks herman & george

anthony

• 17 years ago

Espo8, do you prune your Desert King after the fist harvest to keep it from producing a second crop? I know that the second crop for a desert King needs a fig wasp to pollinate the fig to get it ripe.

I have noticed there are several members on this Forum from NJ. I am originaliy from South Jersey.

Vern_2006

• 17 years ago

Well Guy It Is ok to let them be toghether but you have to thin both of them so the total number of Branches will be as much as a single tree will have ,about 6 trunks totally so the sun can penetrate and ripe the fruits.Also your total fruit production will be as much as one good tree ,and not as much as two trees.
    If you really like one tree a lot more than the other then eliminate the inferior cultivar completelly.Also the young fruits that appear on desert king should be broken off about 15 of September when there is no chance to ripe anymore.

• 17 years ago

thanks herman,i think i'm going to leave them together then. because they are both strong growers i think they will be ok when i thin them like you said.Also the second crop of the king never ripens anyway so i will remove them like you said, but i didn't think that it consumed that much of the tree's energy.thanks for the advice it all
    makes sense to me.
    so much appreciated,
    anthony
    P.S. Vern, No i prune my desert king right after harvest because it only produces breba.the second crop falls off in sept. and oct. but by pruning after harvest the tree grows more wood and next years breba is on this wood so more breba next year.
    take care

• 17 years ago

Sorry Espo:One thing i have to point:You leave six to eight trunks on both trees Totally,in Spring only.For the Fall you go in the Winter with as many Trunks as you can,because you do not Know How many are going to make it trough the winter doesn't matter how well you protect it from cold.
    In Fact i am very interested to Know if you had your Desert King in the ground,outside last winter and if you Managed to get fruits this year.Or if you had it in the Garage and you put it in the ground this Spring.
    It is said that Desert King will loose the fruits buds in colder Climate if grown Outside,in the ground no matter how wel is protected from cold.So I will like to Know so i know, what to do with my young Desert King next Spring.???!!!
    Hope you will read this.Good Luck

• 17 years ago

herman, my desert king has been in the ground since i received it in 1996. i get figs every summer since it was about two or three. i don't think i lose the embryo's because i build a box out of 2x4's and use styrofoam to cover it.i'll show you how it's done if you want.next november i was thinking of taking pictures of the overwintering process i developed by picking old timers brains and using today's technology.so i would definately put the king in the ground you will be amazed how well it grows and produces.
    espo

• 17 years ago

Thanks for the information,and take care!!.Happy new YEAR

• 17 years ago

espo8: what county/part of NNJ are you located?
    Im in Wayne. Gorgi is about 45 min south of me and Herman I believe is located near the Philly border.

• 17 years ago

fortisi876,
    I'm in Westwood, Bergen County

espo

• 17 years ago

Espo8 (Anthony)

I finialy found someone on this site that lives nearby. I don't see your email address posted. I have a green fig, name unkown, that produces 3 crops which I'm growing in a container. The leaves look just like those in your picture but your figs look larger. I'm in Greenwich, CT on the NY boarder not far from the Tappan Zee bridge. If you're out for a ride on a nice Spring day please stop by I'd love to exchange ideas.

Peg

• 17 years ago

Anthony,

What is the obsession about a 'white' fig? You already have
    a (white) King and a brown(?) unknown. Probably you want
    a good white second (main) crop white fig type...

I personally find the black-skinned/red-inside/juicy
    (jelly-like) pulp, ones the most eye appealing (makes
    me salivate most at the pictures...

Maybe you should add a 'black' one to your collection
    too...

From my CURRENT limited (white fig) experience, I will
    stay with LW. A vigorous tree, 2 crops, early (agewise),
    prolific, non-splitting, average tasting large fruit.
    I had 3 cuttings going, the first one that make it will
    have your name on it if you so wish.

As comparing it's taste to the Adriatic and Col de Dame,
    I never ate one yet! Herman spoke very highly of them.
    Just do a search on this forum about them...

I do have a 2005 UCD small Adriatic, had three 1"+ figlets,
    but did not ripen in time (maybe next year?).
    Tree is ~18", tall. Has 3 top strong shoots. Also there
    were 3 bottom little shoots. Since I am beginning to like
    one main branched potted trees better, I just cut and
    potted the 3 bottom shoots. You may also have one of them
    (if they make it, and you wish).

Because of Herman's CdD's excellent taste rating, since
    then I acquired some CdD cuttings. Actually, 3 variants
    of it, thanks to two good posters on this forum
    (~Eugene and Lion),
    Blanc (white), Noir (Black) and Grise (Grey/Brown?).
    Any white/black SECONDS that makes it is yours if you so
    wish. I reserve the 2nd Grise for an older friend that
    I think would want it.

Hard to decide which one is the BEST. If it was me (and
    there are no serious space restrictions), I would try all
    three of them. Figs are famous to (mis)behave in 'local'
    micro climates.

Regards,
    George (NJ).

• 17 years ago

hi anthony,
    i also live in the same area as you do
    i'm one hour by car in nassau county long island.
    a friend of mine gave me a white tree i have no
    idea what variety it could be. i know though that it
    produced abuntantly and the she did absolutly nothing
    to it . never covered it (valley stream) . never pruned
    ect. to dig it i had to prune severly and root prune.
    i have it wintering in a large tub in the garage.
    this could be the main cropper you're looking for.
    i buried some cuttings in the ground and also
    a larger rooted piece. lets cross our fingers
    the fruit is also quite large. the only clue i have
    of origin is that the man that planted it came from
    enna sicily.
    i would also like to ask you because you live
    nearby what dark variety is working for you planted in
    the ground?
    i'd like to try your foamboard method.

happy fig year

marcantonio

• 17 years ago

george, i have a black variety already it's violette de bordeux i purchased it in 1996 and i really like it for flavor and productivity.It grows a fig at almost every leaf.I am looking for a true Celeste,I purchased one from miller nursery in 1993 and got crap results from it.I still have it staying loyal to it trying to nurse it every year, but this year it's going in the garbage.Until I met you guys i truly thought it was a celeste but it isn't. So george i've noticed paradise has it. Do you think it's the real celeste?also thanks for reserving those fig cuttings for me I would love to try them.We'll set a date to meet early spring.
    P.S.Marc the violette de bordeux would be a great choice for you. I will show you how to cover it next fall if you wish.

anthony

• 17 years ago

Hi AnthonY:Please trow away the Celeste From Miller.Mine Droped fruits two years in a row and i trew it away.Also trew away the brown turkey from them.It was shy producer with very small fruits.
    One Question:How early in the sommer Violette de Bordeaux matured fruits in your Area?.
    I do have two young ones,and i would like to Know.
    One of them had lot of fruits but never got ripe.!!!!
    Happy gardening!!!

• 17 years ago

herman,the fruit starts to mature at the end of august and the beginning of september,depending on the summer.I definitely would not worry about that.I am so much father north than you and this tree is a producer of plenty of ripe fruits.As a matter of fact,i can't remember that tree leaving me with much unripe figs in a long time.That unknown variety that i have gives me plenty of figs but also leaves me with plenty of unripe figs.So give the Bordeaux a chance, its worth it.

Stay well,
    anthony

• 17 years ago

Anthony,

I'm not sure which one is the "real" Celeste, however I do have extra rooted cuttings from my Celeste trees in Houston. Let me know if you are interested.

~james

• 17 years ago

Anthony,
    What is the original source (vendor) of your '96 VdB?
    George (NJ).

• 17 years ago

James, thank you very much.
    George,I bought my VDB from Raintree. I also have a Latterula that I bought from Wayside Gardens in 1994 and another unidentified variety given to me by the same man who gave me the possible Long of August.Both are very slow growers, this spring I'm going to move them to a sunnier location to give them a better chance for a couple of years and if they don't produce I'm going to chuck them. I'm not going to waste time anymore.Since joining this forum I would like to learn how you guys grow fig trees in pots.Maybe you could show me when we meet? I like the idea of collecting different cultivers, choosing the special ones and making the overwintering method in zone 6 worth the effort.
    stay well,
    anthony

• 17 years ago

Anthony,

Currently my VdB (2002, EL) and PN (2000, Park Seeds), both
    related and late agewise bloomers - (others claim otherwise)are my best BLACK figs.
    My VdB produced a bunch of figs mid-summer (do not recall
    the exact date) and another bunch that never ripened.

I also acquired a new rooted VdB (aka Negronne) originally
    from Paradise Nursery to compare with. Sooo, I would like a
    cutting or two from your (Raintree sourced VdB) to go along
    with the comparison (if possible...).

Thanks,
    George (NJ).

• 17 years ago

George, yes you can have a cutting or two from my vdb,just let me know when.George am i wasting my time wanting to grow Celeste? It seems your celeste is not doing much,where did you get it from? I wonder what herman thinks of Celeste also.If you think I should grow it then should I get it from Paridise?

stay well,
    anthony

• 17 years ago

Well Anthony:I do not have a producing Celeste anymore because i had one from Home Depot,one from Miller,one from,Lowes,and all were Celeste Want to be.So i discarded Them.
    Presently i have a small rooted Blue Celeste From Jon in San Diego,one,Celeste, from,UCDAVIS,one from George in New Jersey and new Cutting from Tom in Arkansas,and i will get the best tasting one and make it mine in about two years.I will let you Know.Happy Gardening.

• 17 years ago

Good question!
    Which is 'The Real McCoy' Celeste fig?
    Maybe UCD.80 is? Have a small one (spare) from Herman.

My Celeste was one of the very first figs I got (~1990)
    from a forgotten vendor, from a general gardening
    catalog one receives in the mail. Tiny figs - grape size
    but sweet. Not particularly prolific for me, but it is
    probably my fault due to lousy winter covering.
    Have plenty of cuttings from that.

I am also experimenting with the Blue, Golden and Improved
    Celeste variants. Have also a small MegaCeleste (Lowes)
    from Herman that he just chucked out!

George (NJ).

Here is a link that might be useful: Celeste Experiment