SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ejp3

Native/Italian Black

ejp3
14 years ago

Does anyone have any experience with Native Black or Italian Black from Durio nursery in La.? They sound like they are the same fig. I asked for clarification but am still not clear about it. How would you rate the nursery for those who have dealt with them. Thanks

Comments (48)

• peak42
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi ejp3,I purchased a Black Spanish fig tree which was only 8 inches tall and still hasn't produced any figs for me.This nursery is to expensive.Phil

• ejp3
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Was that one of their 1 gal trees?

• Related Discussions

HAVE: Big Zac, Azoychka,Black prince,Italian parsley

Q

Comments (0)
    Hey all, I have a lot of these seeds from this years harvest. I am looking for sweet red frying peppers or paprika peppers of large varieties,garlics,paste tomatoes other than roma, and herbs. Thanks very much. Lisa/liznbeatle
    ...See More

Native black maple in VA??

Q

Comments (10)
    besides the fact they seem to be natural & well outside the "official" native range is that they are growing on bottomland soil as far as I can tell, possibly even in the Potomac floodplain! Not where you expect a "hard" maple to be! ==>>> exactly who is this 'official' who takes the time to draw up maps of of mother earths preferences???? when one relies on a government bureaucrat.. for anything... they soon find.. the bureaucrat.. has no real clue with reality ... one might suggest that the 'official' range is perhaps.. COMPLETELY WRONG ... ???? where does one go from there??? now.. as for your excitement.. and new knowledge.. all the power to ya.. i hope you do burn the gas.. to go the 35 miles.. and get some pix while you are there.. to share with us .... i dont understand why you are hesitating about the decision at all ..... GO FOR IT ... ken ps: i had the same thoughts in regard to your other post on those un-named.. OFFICIALS... changing zone maps .... if you take nothing else from these two post.... it should be.. to ALWAYS question the OFFICIAL ...
    ...See More

black italian fig

Q

Comments (3)
    Hello Konjacking, I would like to pick your brain a little bit about your Italian Black tree? We bought what was labeled as Black Mission locally in June, it had figs that looked exacatlly like your B.I., my question concerns what color is the bark on your tree, mine is light gray, my other trees bark are different shades of brown I could only hope to have a tree like you & your Dad's. Thanks, Cecil
    ...See More

WANT:seeds of Italian tree tomato, and/or black krim.

Q

Comments (8)
    I can send you Black Krim seeds. I don't need anything in return. Just PM me your mailing address. And give me a short note here so that I can go and get your address. This site's PM system won't give you a notice when you get a new PM Sey.
    ...See More
  • edje
    14 years ago

I was pleased with the plants I received from Durio. I ordered four and they were large, healthy 1 gal plants and have grown well. Just my 2 cents worth.

Eric

• peak42
    14 years ago

Eric,I only purchased one, one gallon plant.Perhaps they only had one left.There are other good nurserys,however not many.Phil

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

Does anyone have any experiences to share about Durio? I see they're in the same city as James Robin, and I wonder if Durio ever had an problems with RKN or FMV that anyone has seen or read reports of?

(Email me via my profile if you don't want to post on the forum)

Thanks,

Jason

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

Also, what are the shipping rates @ Durio Nursery? That is pricey for the plants, unless $20 includes shipping. I see a few varieties I'm interested in. I've never heard of this nursery before.

• peak42
    14 years ago

James Robin Sr. is a very good nursery in Louisiana.Telephone number: 1-337-407-0188 Durio's Shipping rates are $20.00 and fig trees are $20.00.

• ejp3
    Original Author
    14 years ago

He dosent offer these 2 varieties.

• vern_2006
    14 years ago

I ordered a fig tree from Durio Nursery in August or Septemer. It arrived in a box that was about three feet tall. When I opened the box the fig tree was about six inches tall. There were know leaves on the fig tree. The cost for the fig tree was $20.00 and shipping was another $20.00.

I have bought several fig trees from James Robin. They are much better fig trees and cheaper.

Vern

• ejp3
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sat, I guess peak dosent read the other forum.

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

Vern, Peak,

I really didn't want to bring this up but I don't really feel like I have another option after what you've both posted. I was really, really fighting for days whether or not to publicly announce this at Gardenweb, bringing up old threads, etc.

So, here goes.

I'm sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but I just ordered four trees from Mr. Robin, they arrived last Thursday, and one was infected with RKN, and the infection was advanced enough that it was perfectly easy to see with the human eye. Look at the pics below - I took them within 30 seconds of seeing the knots in the bag, shortly after rinsing off the roots, although they could be easily seen without rinsing. I think it should be very clear it has RKN, but I circled some of the nodules so other folks who may not be aware of this seriously contagious infection will know what to watch out for when ordering trees from him.

I think anyone using the search feature here at Gardeweb should be able to pull up the plethora of threads about James Robin and his RKN problem. It is old hat at this point. Anyone savvy with figs or that's spent a few weeks here reading should know about James Robin and his RKN problem. I know I did, but I trusted folks like you who, over the last 2-3 years, continue to insist that "Oh, James Robin it was a bad load of mulch/pine bark, he's solved his RKN problem!".

NEWS FLASH: This isn't the truth, by any stretch. James robin still has an RKN problem. I think what you see below is darned clear proof that this is trueand anyone that says "oh, RKN is everywhere down here" or "the problem is solved" are either blind, got lucky, or are blatantly making excuses for this very nice man. I feel that folks saying this are negligently contributing to him potentially spreading RKN all over the four corners of this continent, thus potentially injuring folks like me who could easily ruin the small 1/6th acre lot I have/rely on to supplement my food.

As some folks on here or over at F4F know, I grow heirloom tomatoes and peppers and therefore am super paranoid about getting RKN in my yard. I can't afford it because RKN LOVES to attack tomatoes and peppers, and it would ruin my crops, permanently, because you can't get rid of RKN once you get infected. Personally, I feel that RKN is so contagious, especially in the southeast, that buying from nurseries with known RKN problems is asking for trouble. The fact that James Robin can't even get rid of it in his pot culture should speak VOLUMES to people. If you can't even get rid of it in pots, imagine trying to rid of it once it spreads to your soil!! RKN can be spread via clothing, water source, tainted soil, or any number of other things. It's nasty, nasty, nasty.

THIS is why I am asking about Durio nursery. I would rather pay $5 more per tree from Durio and 3x as much for shipping if I can rest assured that Durio's plants have never had reported cases of RKN. I don't like the thought of paying $20/plant to ship, but he has good variety, and if it means I'm not getting RKN infected plants, I'd do it. I HAVE had good buying experiences, getting trees without RKN. Trees of Joy is one of those first-class experiences I've had, getting healthy, good looking, affordable plants with reasonable shipping and ZERO RKN.

I can't say the same with Mr. Robins. I truly believe James Robin is a good man, my purchasing experience with him was amazing, as were my conversations with him on the phone. And who knows ... maybe this is just a case of him "missing one of the RKN plants", but ...

In case you think I'm not being forthright with you, or making this up, note the tag that clearly came from James Robin's nursery "KT's Nursery", which is discussed in this article at Let Freedom Ring, should you need to see the direct link for yourself.

Sorry, anyone this offends. But I feel this had to be said. Nobody else was saying it, and it really IS a BIG DEAL!

• fatnsassytexan
    14 years ago

I spoke to Durio Nursery a while back---I was going to go buy some figs. They told me they had no figs on site, but could get them overnight. I never made it there, but was curious who they were getting their figs from. Does anyone know who supplies their figs? They might just grow their own at another location, but I just don't know.

I rec'd 5 figs the day before Jason from JR and the roots on mine were clear, I hope. There were no visible signs.

Tim

• peak42
    14 years ago

Hi Satellitehead,I am very sympathetic with your RKN experience.I haven't had the misfortune of your RKN encounter with James Robin Sr or any other Nurserys I have purchased fig trees from.Mr.Robin knows of his problem with RKN.The best way to avoid this problem is to post the name of the fig tree or cuttings you are interested to purchase or exchange on this fig forum.Many regrets,Phil

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

No worries, and I hope you understand that I'm not trying to get on your case or Vern's case or anyone elses case. I mean no offense. If I'm upset with anyone, it's me upset with myself for listening to folks that had positive experiences the last order or two and really believing that RKN is something a fellow could easily beat in a year or two.

I don't want to hurt or ruin Mr. Robin's business, he obviously DOES have some clean plants, 75% of the ones he sent me were clean. I'd just like to ask that folks put a DISCLAIMER before you hand out his contact info, something expressing that, from 2007-2010, he has occasionally sent out RKN infected plants, and it would be nice to explain how serious RKN is, and how impossible to combat it can be.

If everyone was providing such a realistic disclamer, it would've saved me a boatloadd of worry, because I would have avoided him completely. I took the "bad potting mix/mulch problem which is solved" with far too much weight. It could've cost me big.

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

Ed,

To answer your question about the Native Black and Italian Black fig cultivars. Both of these cultivars are Louisiana Italian heirloom figs that were found in the New Orleans area. They were originally marketed by Becnel Nursery. I have both of them in my collection and obtained mine from a different source than Durio's. They are definitely not the same fig cultivars and are much different than any other black fig in my collection of which I have quite a few.

Both of my young trees grew well this past summer. Native Black ripened two figs for me that were only OK.......however, this cultivar appears to be rain tolerant. I expect better fruit next year as my tree comes into its normal fruiting cycle. My Italian Black produced quite a few figs very late in the season......the tree was very small in early spring and grew into a really nice tree by summer's end. I still have quiet a few figs left on the tree right now. They are very large figs with a small fluorescent-pink eye.....none had a chance to ripen this year. I expect my tree to fruit well next year. It looks to be prolific and holds on to its figs very well.

FYI----I have several more unknown black Italian fig cultivars that I've picked up from other local fig collectors and old abandoned orchards in South Louisiana. Maybe I'll find a real good one in the bunch........time will tell.

Dan
    Trialing quite a few black Italian figs here in South Louisiana.......

• vern_2006
    14 years ago

Satellitehead of course you are right about Mr Robin and RKN. I have order three times from Mr. Robin over the years for a total of twelve fig trees. My first order of five fig trees one, the LSU Gold, had RKN. I did bring this to the attention of the forum. I was afraid to plant any of the five fig trees in my yard and air rooted cuttings from all of them. I adventually planted the air rooted trees in my yard. Mr Robin then came out and said that he had corrected his RKN problem. I order two more times from Mr. Robin and checked carefully for RKN. I do not plant any fig tree from a nursery until I check the roots. I keep it in a pot the first year and them check the roots again for RKN before planting the tree.

It is not just Mr. Robin that has problems with RKN. I have read on this forum where members have bought trees from nurseries in other areas of the country that had the same problem.

The best advise I can give is to always always check the roots of your figs know matter where you get them. RKN can be found in all parts of the country.

Vern

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

RKN is a problem not only in this country but in many parts of the world. Even perfectly healthy fig plants produced at the wholesale level can be contaminated at a retail nursery from contaminated ground and/or other plants. Even some retail potting soil mixes have been known to be contaminated......as was the case with one very knowledgeable New Jersey grower. Purchased seedling vegetable plants can have these critters in them too. The only way to keep them out of a non-contaminated area is by PERSONAL prevention.....learn to recognize them and take corrective action. Vern is giving some good advice.

JR's problem is related to some of his plants being put on contaminated ground. Just changing sources for potting mixes, or treating starts with sugar will not prevent the occasional occurrence of RKN in some of the plants that he sells.

Dan
    Specializing in the LSU bred figs..............

• paully22
    14 years ago

I chance upon an opportunity to talk RKN with a scientist working on RKN at a local university research center 2 years ago. He cited its a common problem and its widespread in North America. He told me its good to be aware of it & he cited garden centers/nurseries have to depend on commercially supplied bulk soil as potting mix. Henceforth, its difficult to avoid them. I also depend on commercially supplied top soil for my tomato patch. However, my potting soil is always heavily mixed with compost & bark mulch(tomatoes & figs). My annual repotting of over a hundred fig plants have so far not shown any RKN. In JR's situation, I suppose he has to be more carefully in screening barerooted plants for shipment.

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

@Vern, I saw the post where you indicated that a fig you purchased from James Robin had RKN, and really appreciated that news, you were one of the only people who openly admitted getting an infected fig that I remember (it was the big thread that got very heated). Your comment was one of the ones that really had me wondering if I should order from him or not, and is one of the main reasons I pulled apart every root of the plants I received to look for signs of RKN. I might have found the infected plant anyway, but your post definitely helped a ton, and might have helped me see one with less pronounced signs. I owe you a lot of thanks for that.

@Dan, My frustration is not that RKN exists; RKN is a reality of nature, I am a reasonable man, I understand this. My frustration came from reading JR had an RKN problem, then reading that it had been corrected, leading me to buy with confidence of clean plants, then being shocked to get an RKN-infected plant. It was shocking because my buying experience was the opposite of what many other fig enthusiasts were reporting recently. I like to hear good news. I always want to believe that problems are corrected because that's what I would do personally if it were my business. I don't make it a habit to buy from distant nurseries with bad ratings, because buying from nurseries with bad ratings is like doing business with eBay'ers that have lots of poor feedback, it just doesn't make sense, you usually end up with negative consequences. I believe it is wise to heed the experiences of others. Maybe it was just me that got the bad experience this time. But I still believe it shouldn't have happened, because JR should have checked my plants better, especially knowing that RKN is a problem he has. I can give a guy a break, so I'm giving him a chance to make it right. I'll be sure to post what the outcome is later.

@Paul, I think this whole thing would have been avoided if JR would have checked the plant more carefully before shipping. The pictures above show RKN clearly - some of those knots were as big as a large pea, I know the fella is older and his peepers might not work as well as someone in their 30's like me, but a blind man could've felt those bumps through the bag. JR seems like a nice enough man - I don't think he would send me a plant with RKN just because he promised me that plant and that was his last available. Any reasonable person would understand RKN infections were worse for your reputation than having to call a buyer and say you're out of stock for the year. It's much easier to refund a check/provide alternative plant. We will see what he does.

As a point of habit, I always check plants from commercial nurseries for signs of problems. This may not be a "healthy habit" others (or newbies) are aware they should be doing. So, a piece of advice: if you are one of those folks out there that doesn't bother to look at the roots of purchased (potted/bare root) plants, you may want to start doing so. Anyone out there could have gotten this plant. If it was you ... and you didn't check ... you could be the next one spreading it around.

I do still think that folks should be putting disclaimers when recommending any sources that have multiple cases of RKN over a period of a year or two, regardless of the reason why they have it ("RKN is everywhere", "it's all over the south", "you can get it at any nursery", etc.), because people don't always know to check and this is dangerous - probably a big part of the reason why RKN is everywhere. And just because RKN can be found everywhere doesn't mean we shouldn't do everything possible to prevent more spreading of it and educate others about it.

I appreciate you all, and hope you don't think I'm mad at anyone in particular. I am interested in open dialogue when appropriate, and sometimes my internet voice really sucks, so it sounds like I'm mad or chastising others when I'm not actually trying to. It doesn't help that I type faster than I talk, so I can write a novella like this in a short period of time. =)

• xgrndpounder
    14 years ago

Would you like some cheese with that whine?

I have some plants here from J.R, if I find they have RKN
    I will do an air layer and walla, problem solved!

Cecil

• ejp3
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Why should I have have to do an airlayer because I got an infected plant? Thats not the answer. Its a disgrace that anyone would condone this behavior.

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

Cecil, using your logic, I guess when I get a wart on my toe, I should cut off my legs at the waist?

Forgive me, but that sounds excessive.

How does air layering help the average person who is not the fig nut like us, and has no idea what RKN or air layering is?

It doesn't.

Fig nuts probably make up only a tiny fraction of all people who buy fig plants. It is - and always has been - up to nurseries to ensure they are providing the most suitable, healthiest plants to consumers, because the majority of consumers are completely ignorant, for example, how invasive a species can be, or what various diseases look like.

You can say I'm whining, but I'm with ejp3 - if I'm paying premium price for a plant, I should not be required to air layer and start over from scratch, nor to chop my new plant into cuttings.

I mean, if you're going to get shafted into that situation, why not buy 2-3 cuttings for a fraction of the cost and take your chances? Again, that option is not something for the general population who aren't fig nuts.

I admire your positive, gung-ho mentality, you get screwed with an RKN-infected plant, and you make do. But, really, if your source was practicing responsible gardening habits and sales - something you've implied I'm "whining" about expecting from people - you'd never have to be put in that arduous situation. If you were never put in that situation, you'd instead be in a place where you could potentially enjoy the fruit of your fig 1-2 years earlier.

• demondmh
    14 years ago

I got a yellow marseilles earlier last month from the same source. I checked it before potting and it looked clear. After reading this post, I unpotted it and checked more closely. I can't find any visible RKN. I will check again in the spring when I repot it to make sure nothing has shown up.

Does anyone know how long it takes for an infection to show up? just so I know how long to be watching. Also, I read that crushed limestone helps with RKN. Where can I find it. Lowe's had nothing when I was there this weekend.

Lisa

• mcleod
    14 years ago

Just my $0.02. Folks are right expect healthy plants BUT caveat emptor still applies and hanging the bed linens on a public forum prior to buyer/seller resolution just doesn't look good. Not saying that it is wrong it's just unseemly.
    Great advive on the RKN and checking all new plants prior to any soil contact. Definitely something I will increase my own vigilance for. I also will try to steer most of my cultivation to cuttings/seeds and try to limit root material coming onto the place.

• xgrndpounder
    14 years ago

Well said mcleod

and you did it in less than 41 paragraphs !

Cecil

• ejp3
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I applaud someone having the guts to let everyone know about something that is as important as this. Too bad if it offends anyone. I am surprised that knowingly selling rkn infested plant matter is not illegal. Other nurseries I have asked said that they were regularly inspected for this. How does he get away with it?

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

I would say that I'm surprised by the hostility and flack I'm catching here, but after seeing all the hostility and nonsense that comes from from some folks lately, I'd be a liar.

Cecil, I have no hard feelings. The least I can do is take the high road on this one. I won't be the guy that takes cheap shots at another fig lover, but if that's how you choose to live, I am not one to criticize.

On topic, I am going to contact Durio tomorrow and see if they will combine shipping on multiple plants, and see what amount. I am interested in Smith and one other. Will let you know what I find out.

• ottawan_z5a
    14 years ago

mcleod
    'caveat emptor ' applies only when you buy and the mechandise is in front of you to check/inspect. Good businesses take responsibility for merchandise replacement and shipping costs for proven defective merchandise.

• mcleod
    14 years ago

Jason, no hostility here. As a matter of fact I was hesitant to post on this subject. Just to give my impression of your recent exchange it seems that, to me a reader of forums, you researched your purchase and then placed your order. Once the order arrived you did due diligence in inspecting your purchase and almost immediately posted your findings to the net. Nothing wrong with that as we live in a free society and it is good to know of potential problems with plant stock suppliers.
    Maybe I'm of the old school or it could be that I am a businessman myself and can see the other side of the coin so to speak. I understand mistakes can and do happen especially with problems of a nature such as the one you are dealing with. We in business can't always control nature (BTW I am a wildlife professional) and will sometimes get nasty suprises from mama nature. I can empathize with your supplier and were I in his shoes would do my dead level best to correct the situation with rapidity and as little acrimony as possible. I would hope the same level of understanding and circumspection would be on the customer's side as well.
    This is not to say that as a businessman I want to sweep problems under the rug, far from it. I would like to have my customers to understand that there are things beyond my control or that sometimes in spite of all efforts stuff happens. If they would just bring it to my attention immediately I will move heaven and earth to make it right. Past that point I could care less if the customer wants to scream it to the mountaintops that a mistake was made as long as they also scream that I fixed the problem immediately. If I were to not fix the problem then that, my friend, is a whole nother matter. Scream away!
    I am continuing to follow this saga and trying to learn from it. I already see things that could have been done differently on all sides and will try to apply it here. What I will not do is take sides, none of this was posted in defense of anyone one person. Just my personal observations only with no judgement on my part. No more on this subject will be posted unless provoked. ;)

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

Well said McCloud.

Just checked the website for your business (link listed on your GW member's page).....a very nice website and an interesting read. You would have to add Alligators, Armadillo, and Nutria to your wildlife pest list if Louisiana where in your business area. ;)

Dan
    Specializing in the LSU bred figs.........

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

David, I didn't feel any hostility coming from your direction. Believe it or not, I agree with almost everything you said, and for the things I don't agree with, I totally understand your viewpoint, I just realize mine's a little different.

It's a very unique situation: James Robin is a mail-order nursery...no website...no email...no ratings at garden watchdog sites...no paypal...you mail him a paper check by USPS, you get a phone call, and later you get your plants, then mail him another paper check to reimburse him for shipping. It's an archaic way of doing business, sometimes this results in archaic means of relaying buying experience. In this situation, there's no real way for folks to widely know what to expect other than talking with fellow enthusiasts.

As consumers In the modern age, talking on public forums is how we learn what to expect for a buying experience, it allows us to make educated decisions and best prepare ourselves for our purchase. If we didn't talk it public, openly, as we are doing here, consumers would have little or no clue, and could be negatively/very seriously impacted as a consequence. Some nurseries out there - like TyTy, for example - actually exploit this in order to stay in business.

So far, my experience is that James Robin is a reasonable guy to deal with. He has reasonable prices. He occasionally ships RKN infected plants, BUT he is also willing to TRY to make good on mistakes. What consumers (us) must decide is:

- Is this behavior OK with you?
    - Do you truly understand the seriousness of RKN?
    - Are you confident in your ability to spot RKN in a bareroot plant?
    - If you get an infected plant, do you know to prevent RKN from infecting other plants and/or your landscape through its myriad of transmission methods?
    - Finally, is the risk of paying $15 plus shipping for an RKN infected fig OK with you?

Ultimately, this decision is up to the consumer, but it can't be properly made without having some kind of recent purchase reference (i.e. public feedback). I've done my part to provide that above.

For the record, I literally just received a refund check from James Robin for $3.90. Clearly, he is willing to try and make good on his mistakes, but he ignored the fact that I had to pay $7.50 to return-ship his infected plant (I pointed this out in the letter I shipped with the plant). Realistically, I'm about $10 out of pocket right now and I feel bummed to see he's OK with charging me for his shipping, but doesn't find my out-of-pocket return shipping expense worth reimbursing.

Next time, as an educated consumer, I think I will pay $15-20 at a different nursery and greatly reduce, if not totally alleviate, the risk of getting infected plants. If others want to order from James Robin in the future, that's your prerogative, but I recommend you take this in consideration while doing your research. Just know, if you get an RKN infected plant from him, you may go through similar rigamarole and extra work when you could have a clean plant elsewhere for the same cost (or slightly less/more).

Also, to at least post something on-topic, Durio Nursery DOES combine shipping. I'll post about my experience there when the time comes.

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

Some people would sleep better at night if they propagated their fig trees from cuttings..........like I do.

Dan
    Studying the fruiting characteristics of over 200 fig trees.......

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

I will add something else interesting. The mail date on refund was Monday. So, he hadn't gotten my letter prior.

He just got my package from FedEx (I just got delivery confirmation), so somehow Mr. Robin found out about the fig having RKN prior to me shipping it back.

In this case, I cannot fault him for the shipment. But if I would have known this ahead of time, I would have kept the Marseilles fig and tried to start another cutting from it.

I guess someone at one of the fig forums is sharing this information with him?

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

As McCloud stated.....

"hanging the bed linens on a public forum PRIOR to buyer/seller resolution just doesn't look good. Not saying that it is wrong it's just unseemly."

JR probably would have told you to destroy that infected plant..........saving you return postage and a few cuttings to boot. Not an ideal situation but at least an attempt to make you happy. Since he does not have a website, email address, and not a member of any forum perhaps a better way to inform him that he still has a RKN problem was an old fashion telephone call.

Dan
    Cajun fig hunter........

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

Dan, you are entitled to your opinion, I respect you and your opinion, as I hope you respect me and mine. If you cannot, then I hope there is some other common ground where we can agree and find mutual respect.

Above, I posted my purchasing experience, then my customer service experience, and finally my thoughts on the overall experience. If you were to judge on what I wrote about my purchasing experience alone, yes, I see how that would be "airing dirty linen". Now that the entire experience is completed and all steps are documented, others can use my "linens" to make an informed business decision about what could be possible when buying from this source in the future.

I hear what you are saying about using a phone. For me, I'm old school or new school - I either correspond by postal mail or by electronic mail and rarely use phones. Honestly, I do not like talking on phones for any reason. I sent the fig back with a clearly written letter, and the fig, so I don't dispose of infectious plant material locally, and Mr. Robin now has the chance to turn that $15 fig tree into $45-$60 worth of fig trees for next season by making cuttings of it.

How my comments above looked was not something I had considered while posting them. Thanks to David, this is definitely something I'll keep in mind from here on out -- you learn something new every day, sad that GW will not let me edit (I do not want them removed).

Ultimately, I think all of us want to contribute and help others, and don't always consider how my words look to everyone else when originally submitting them. You know the saying, "Hindsight is 20/20". The important thing is to understand my intent is not malice, I do not wish harm upon anyone.

Not every place has the same customs and practices, and most of us learn how to get along and adapt without bickering, taking cheap shots at others. Constructive criticism is a means for you to help others learn and grow or understand "other" ways to achieve the same goals. I appreciate the constructive criticism, and look forward to the growth that will come from it.

• mcleod
    14 years ago

Dan, gators BTW you are pronouncing the name right (thank you) but spelling it wrong. LOL

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    14 years ago

After a long hard day at work....it sure does relax the mind to read these forums! Cecil, you crack me up! EJP3, I feel your pain and your point is well taken. I'm like you....I'd rather pay the extra $20 buck of shipping and handling to keep my mind off of wondering if my plant had the virus. Let's keep talking it up and share our experiences with sellers good or bad. I've purchased several trees from Durio this year. Their packing and shipping of trees are very professional and their trees are healthy. I think I'll hold off buying trees from JR until the dust settles. Cheers, Dennis

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

Snag,

Did you check the roots of your new fig trees?? Nurseries sometimes exchange or wholesale their trees to other nearby nurseries.

I check the roots on all fig trees that I obtain from outside sources no matter who (friend or otherwise) or what nursery or what eBay seller they came from......if after growing for one year in my potting mix and they pass MY final root inspection.....they go into the ground. If nematodes were present in my purchase...they would be very apparent after growing for that additional year.

Dan
    Laissez les bons temps rouler.....

• giants_2007
    14 years ago

Thanks Jason for bringing this to our attention. That is what the forums are for to post the good with the bad so that we can share and learn. I also grow veggies and would hate to see a $30 or $40 dollar tree wipe out hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars of my hard work and money. There is no compensation for that. If others read this and would still like to roll the dice so be it, the stakes and odds are just to high for me. Again thanks for the insight. I will check all of my purchases carefully and good idea about keeping them potted for a year for those that do put them in ground.
    Sal

• hlyell
    14 years ago

It's deja vu all over again.

On topic: Native Black is a GREAT fig. It ranked in the top 3-4 of the 80-90 different figs I've tasted in the last two years. Italian Black, a very different and much larger fig, (only second year to produce figs) was just OK. It's a prolific producer, the figs are large, but the flavor (so far) is just OK. Maybe with more time it will improve.

A few comments on the JR/RKN controversy:

1. Let's be realistic about one thing: for the most part "fig nuts" are the ONLY people who see what's written here. I'm sure there might be an exception or two - "non fig nuts" who may have considered a purchase from JR who stumble into this thread - but be real Satellitehead...your post was for "fig nuts". You were obviously "loaded and ready" for the controversy, and the defensiveness is obvious throughout your lengthy posts...such as "75% of the ones he sent me were clean"...LOL...are you a lawyer? Did you order 60 figs and 15 were infected? Oh, looking back I see you received one infected plant of the several you ordered. I'm poking fun at your choice of words...75% clean...rather than "one infected plant". I'm not commenting on whether one infected plant is acceptable...just your choice of words.

2. Regardless of anything else why would you not contact the vendor immediately?

3. As far as "hindsight is 20/20" is concerned...a very simple post would have sufficed...something like "FYI guys...I received an RKN-infected fig from Mr. Robin...evidently his RKN problem isn't completely resolved after all". At this point you can probably see why this may have been better.

4. I saved the most important for last. If ANYONE thinks they can implicitly trust ANY online nursery to NEVER ship them an RKN-infected plant I believe they are mistaken. Granted...the odds of this happening may be miniscule with some vendors, but there are too many uncontrollable variables involved for ANYONE in that business to feasibly insure they would NEVER have RKN in the soil of a shipped plant. Does that mean you never order figs from a nursery who has shipped an RKN-infected plant? That's your call, but during your quest to collect figs don't kid yourself that you can be 100% certain any particular nursery will NEVER ship infected soil/roots. MANY online nurseries buy potted figs (and other potted plants) from wholesale suppliers - even nurseries who "normally" root their own plants. It they aren't able to root enough plants to meet demand, many order wholesale. Once they do they bring in soil they really know nothing about. Once that happens RKN can cross-contaminate to other soils/containers onsite through numerous methods - including birds, squirrels, water drainage, and of course, humans, and other ways. I have personal experience and/or first hand knowledge of all I've said in this section (point no. 4). It isn't just my opinion (as are points 1-3) :)

It may surprise some here to learn that I have received (multiple) RKN-infected figs from these online nurseries:
    Edible Landscaping (3 out of approx. 14)
    Encanto Farms (10 out of approx. 35-40)
    Durio's (4 out of 10)

I've gotten RKN-infected figs from other reputable nurseries, but right now I can't recall which ones.

I received my infected plants from Durio's in 2007 (when the elder Mr. Durio was still active in the business). I don't know if this is true or not, but I was told he would not let people walk around in certain areas of his nursery as a precaution against RKN contamination. My point is here was someone (purportedly) taking rather diligent measures to avoid RKN - yet they shipped me 4 infected plants.

Does this mean I would never buy figs from these vendors again? For me, the answer is no. Like others have mentioned I have a procedure for newly acquired potted figs. If received while dormant I inspect the roots immediately. Even if they appear clean I grow them potted for the next year in a semi-quarantined area. I put large pine bark chunks on top of the soil in the pots then rocks on top of pine bark chunks so that birds and squirrels cannot get to the soil. The next winter I inspect the roots again. If they are clean THEN, THAT's when I am confident I was not shipped an RKN-infected fig. If at any point I find RKN I keep the fig "quarantined" and airlayer a new tree from it - later destroying the infected plant.

At last count (January of this year) I had right at 190 varieties of figs growing (allowing for some name duplication). This year - in addition to rooting many new varieties - I've also acquired from other sources numerous new varieties. This is something I've enjoyed doing, and I would have never been able to put this fig collection together without encountering RKN. I also believe that anyone who wants even a much smaller fig collection should be realistic - yet careful - about dealing with the inevitable Mr. nematode.

The only way you will know with 100% assurance you are not bringing in any new contamination to your local soil is to root ALL your plants from cuttings. Then, if you are in an area where RKN is a problem just hope a bird, squirrel, or another of mother nature's creatures doesn't do it to you anyway.

OK...I'm done...said my piece...won't address any attempted rebuttals to what I've said, etc., etc., etc.

If anyone wants further information from me based on these comments write me privately. Today was the first time in a good while I'd visited here, and who knows when I will next?

Henry

• xgrndpounder
    14 years ago

What Henry said in the above post is how I felt someone
    SHOULD HAVE HANDLED the RKN problem with J.R.

That was my only gripe!

Like Henry.........I'm done talking about this subject!

Cecil

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

Hey Henry, thanks for the constructive feedback, lots for me to think about in the future.

Obviously, you've got a solid grasp on handing out constructive criticism without belittling and insulting folks, and I appreciate it more than I'm gonna say. I gotta admit, reading what you wrote sure beats the hell out of being called a bigmouth whiner! Sad that acting like an adult is such a rarity with some folks these days.

Your Durio fig variety information is great! I think I know what I want to order from Durio now. Native Black sounds like it's more up my alley. Thanks for that, too.

It's obvious that you're in a different league of plant buyer from me. You've bought 30 times (or more) fig plants than I have, and hearing the inside scoop from someone with that kind of experience is sobering. It looks like the one constant here is, "You can't trust anyone, really, so check your freakin' plants!"

I also appreciate you naming the vendors that have sent you infected plants. I was surprised to see some of the ones you've listed. The percentage of infected vs. non-infected is interesting also. It looks like you're finding RKN on every 3rd, 4th or 5th or plant you're buying based on the numbers you're giving. That's a serious eye-opener!

• jstall
    14 years ago

If you have a plant that has RKN and you want to grow it and air layer it, how would you handle this plant? Can you keep in potted with other plants? What would be the safety precautions you would have to take?

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    14 years ago

Dan, I'm like you. I check the roots of all my trees. To me that's a MUST! I received some beautiful LSU trees from a nursey in TN last Spring. I forget the name of the nursey at the moment. They can bare root. After soaking them and inspecting them, I planted them in a 5 gallon pot. After 2 new months, they grew so fast that I had to pot them in a huge tub! I just got another shipment in from Edible LS. The roots look fine and according to the paperwork, they were grown on a greenhouse and never been planted in the ground; which is how I plan on growing mine. Cheers, Dennis

• rafed
    14 years ago

What is the issue with RKN?
    And what threat does it pose to humans?

Rafed

• xgrndpounder
    14 years ago

Hmmmmmm,
    Now the plot thickens.

Cecil

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

I'm not aware of RKN having any negative affects on humans, other than not being able to produce crops of commonly grown fruits and vegetables (so, worst case scenario, if you rely on your garden, starvation could be a negative effect on a human). RKN are microscopic roundworms of a sort, from what I understand. They will infect potatoes, so I suppose humans have eaten them in the past inadvertently.

On a widespread scale, should a commercial farm be infected with RKN, this could spell the end of that farm (depending on the crop), at minimum, the end of planting susceptible crops for 3-4 years.

There are ways to reduce RKN eggs and infection that aren't caustic, using something common to gardeners: neem oil/extract. Read the article linked at the bottom of the post for more info.
    FWIW, just to touch on my posts above. James Robin sent a check to cover return shipment of my infected plant. In the end, he read my letter, it looks like he was willing to make it right, and we're even-steven. I feel a lot better about my buying experience now, and I need to commend him on his customer service.

Here is a link that might be useful: Protective and curative effect of neem

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

For the record........ I too have received a RKN infected fig tree from Encanto Farms Nursery. I PAID $30 just for a Phytosanitary Certificate for that one infected plant (Black Madeira)!!! Did the inspector really inspect the plant or did they just not check for RKN???

Like several of us have stated in this thread "you must PERSONALLY inspect all fig tree purchases"......no matter who they come from and even if they were supposedly inspected.

Dan
    Cajun fig Hunter.........