SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oregondahlia

Sporadic Blooms?

oregondahlia
18 years ago

Over a month ago I purchased four 10" fuchsia baskets in full bloom from a large greenhouse. They appeared very healthy and loaded with buds. Now 2 of them appear to be coming to the end of a bloom cycle with the ends of the branches terminating in either a small leaf or a bloom with no further growth. I have checked for pests, I find no signs of mites or aphids, no distortion of the foliage. From time to time I have removed yellowing leaves which I felt was probably normal. I have been fertilizing weekly with 1/2 strength 20-20-20. Plants are located in a partially covered area facing SE so they get the morning sun and afternoon shade. Would it be best to cut back the long branches to force new growth? Each basket contains 4 plants which I assume is normal to attain the size. The varieties are Vienna Waltz, Marie Eileen, Quasar and Bella Rosella. I thought fuchsias would provide constant bloom until frost.

I did purchase a number of 4" starts at the same time, they are receiving the same treatment and doing well, no in bloom though as I pinched them back again.

Thanks for any suggestions and sorry about the long post.

Wayne D.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES