SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jim_wood_gw

fuchsia gall mites - problem solved

jim_wood
15 years ago

I hope I'm neither redundant with this information nor mistaken regarding the results... but after several years battlling the nasty Fuchsia Gall Mites I have evidently succeeded in eradicating them from my plants... or so it seems!

The magic bullet is "Bayer Advanced Tree and Shrub Protect and Feed." This is a liquid concentrate, unlike the same manufacturer's product for roses, which is a dry granulate. This product is a systemic insecticide, but does NOT come with the usual warning about using it on or near edible-crop plants. In fact, it comes specifically recommended for certain nut trees. This was good news for me, as some of my fuchsias are close to shade-providing fruit trees.

A couple of my plants are particularly prone to the gall mite and would develop the characteristic wrinkled and distorted leaf growth year after year. One plant, in deep shade and under a bird feeder, was much worse than all the rest, perhaps from bird-dropping-borne mites.

It has now been several months since I used the Bayer product, following the instructions that came with it. All growth since about two months ago is totally mite-free. Even the older, woodier parts of the plant, which were the worst-infested, have put our new, clean growth.

The stuff isn't cheap, but Wal-Mart carries it at the best price, and if you go to the Beyer Advanced Website you can find a coupon for either a $5 refund (32oz size) or $10 refund (64oz size). My $5 check came today, which prompted me to share this information.

Comments (12)

Sponsored