SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ghost04

Fuchsia gall mite

ghost04
19 years ago

Hello fuchsia fans,

I joined this forum because my nurseryman told me that my favorite fuchsias are suffering from a gall mite problem. The new growth looks exactly like fusciabonzailady's photo on the facts page.

The problem started last year, and I thought I might be able to solve it without a diagnosis just by using insecticidal soap. Well, it slowed things down a bit, but the problem is back this year--in spades!

I guess the solution is either stronger chemicals or discarding the plants. I hate to do that, because my fuchsias are the anchor plants for the east side of my house, they make about a 6 foot square solid wall, and they usually bloom on my deck from spring through fall. On the other hand, we also have bird feeders, hummingbirds, and squirrels in the garden.

I'm very reluctant to use serious pesticides. My nurseryman recommended Ortho Systemic, and once I read the label, I didn't even want to bring it to my house!

How toxic is the product recommended on this forum, Sevin? Does anyone have any more benign solutions to this problem that will allow me to keep my fuchsias blooming on my deck?

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions!

Toni

Comments (7)

Sponsored