SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jackfre

80' x80' fig

jackfre
11 years ago

First post! I have read many of the fig pruning posts but my fig is unique, I think. I have a fig on my place here in the foothills of N CA. It grows down the back slope and when I pace it off it is about 80' sq. It just lopes down the slope. To say it is overgrown is the mildest form of understatement. It is also interlaced with blackberries. It is growing horizontally about 5' per year. I have to cut it back on the margins about 10-15' all around. That is the new growth. I also am going in to eliminate the blackberries and old dead growth. I will cut the BB stems and pull them out, get the dead wood out and dig the bb roots. Quite a project, but it is such a neat plant. I'm afraid I am going to kill it if I go too hard. You cannot believe the amount of wildlife in that fig. Until thinned I won't go in it in the summer. To tight for comfort. Call me a chicken, but the cat doesn't even go in there. Once thinned it will be my sitting place in the summer. Any suggestions on how to handle this? It bears very well, but is to tight to harvest the figs. The birds and everything else loves them though.

Comments (11)