SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bjs496

Interactive database

bjs496
18 years ago

Hi All,

Well this has been a difficult trip. The kid next door who I charged with watering my trees may have moved (I have been unable to reach him). I've been gone for about six weeks and I've seen the temps are still in the 80s in Houston. I guess I'll find out if they are alive tomorrow.

Also,as a few of you know, the hard drive on my laptop has crashed. I have yet to determine if I can retrieve my files. If I've agreed to a trade or if I've left you hanging on an issue, please email me again to remind me.

Now on to the subject...

Earlier this year I had to learn a new database program for work. I decided to learn by creating a database of my fig trees. I thought it might be useful for others as and was planning on creating a website to post it to. This would be an interactive database. All users could use it to catalog their fig trees. I also thought it would be useful tool to gather and disseminate information. Some of the features that I had incorporated or had envisioned, if others were interested, included:

-A unique serial number designation for all trees.

-A lineage tracking system based on the parent's serial number.

-The ability to store historical data (i.e. date tree entered/emerged from dormancy, date of first fruit, date first fruit ripened, date last fruit ripened, etc. each year.) This data could be sorted by variety and/or zone.

-Fruit/Leaf/Tree characterisitics.

-General information about varieties

-Comments about varieties (similar to Fig4fun.com)

-Wish lists including links to sources with the ability to print a UCDavis order form.

Please give me feedback, comments, suggestions, etc. If there is enough interest, I will keep on this. I was hoping to have it up and running before many trades were made next year. Even if I can retrieve the database from my harddrive, the crash is going to set me back quite a bit.

I hope you all had (are having) a good Thanksgiving,

~james

p.s. After Friday morning, I will be unable to check on the forum for a week or so. I'm not ignoring you guys ;) LOL

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions