SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steveningen

I feel much better now.

Steveningen
16 years ago

What a difference one intense weekend of gardening makes. Some of you may remember my garden in June when it looked like this:

Well all that beauty went by the wayside while we concentrated on finishing our kitchen remodel. I simply didn't have the time to get out there and tend it. You would not have believed the mess I faced. I had the corpses of 8-10 feet high sunflowers and hollyhocks with main stems as thick as your wrist scattered all over the property. Underneath all that were the carcasses of countless annuals in every shade of beige imaginable. So I got up early on Saturday, filled myself with coffee, lined up my arsenal of gardening equipment and got to work.

I was a dynamo. I started with Scratch, our monster of a bougainvillea. I nearly lost an eye, but I was driven. I collected myself and moved on. There wasn't an inch of ground I didn't cover. You would seriously not believe the size of the three piles of garden debris I made. One comes to my waiste. The other two come up to my chest.

And under all that horror, many things were still blooming. I deadheaded my fingers to the bone and am expecting a great Fall flush of coreopsis, zinnia, snapdragon, sweet william, miniature and tall hollyhock, lavender, various salvia, scabiosa, and the list goes on. I also was astonished to find larkspur and the most handsome delphinium blooming like troopers. In September! I gave everything a side of compost and fish emulsion. I also gave my all my roses a good dose of TLC. I'm suspect this will lead to one more glorious flush before late October when we begin seeing our rains.

So tonight, I'm finally feeling like a gardener again. I'm scratched up, sunburned, bruised and achy. And I feel better than I have for weeks!

Steven

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County