SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sergnic

Two soil new varieties

sergnic
13 years ago

I refer to my experience in the preparation of the soil.

Before all I state that I live in Italy, Z9 and no one here makes problems for the preparation of soil for the figs. The figs here are simlpy considered weeds.

For personal reasons I decided to plant cuttings of fig tree not in the garden, but in a large pot on a terrace in the town.

That's becouse I put in the pot a mixture (bought, normally used for potted flowers) of soil soft and airy, with quite low capacity for water retention, but with added good amount of organic fertilizer and chemicals. Regular also if small watering was performed.

In parallel I have found the second of three new "varieties" - this was a small rooted plants -; on that occasion (in early July) I had no opportunity to prepare a specific soil mixture - well drained - well fertilized, in summary:.... prepared with intelligence and care.

This is because I' was away in the country, in full summer, and I've putted immediately the plant in an old brocken bucket, with "soil", crude and even with stone, which was near the edge of a field, along a country road, I admit ...is a wild way to transplant, ...in July.

Since I am not totally ignorant about the ground, I considered, (I think: correctly), that soil as very hardh and poor.

At home I added just a little bit of organic fertilizer.

Small exam in parallel:

In the first big pot the plants pointed vigorous growth, with thin large leaves, however that over time took on a light green color, (more clear). Internodes long, grass appearance of stem and gems.

After the first time began in sequence weakness, different parasites (insects, caterpillars) showed clearly that was an attack to a weak tree. NEVER SEEN THIS IN A WILD FIG IN THE COUNTRY, that is averywhere here.

In the plant of "The Bucket", (only a few feet away !!!), the growth was modest, less than half of the other.

Internodes were short, the leaves small, thich, hard, strong, and in a very dark color; since the soil and location was very uncomfortable for negative aspects, (it was quite under a table, and often I forgot to water it), I would have considered pain or yellowing of leaves .

None of this: This plant shows the behavior of the be "cool", strong and extremely robust, exactly as I know, like a weed.

Disease and weakness???: (on the same terrace) absolutely not!!. Wood hard as a bone, absolutely the best.

I note that the two varieties in the wild live in same environment, and that theyr look (in kind) is exactly the same (tree size, strength, leaf shape, etc.). (In fact my attempt was done to understand why, in nature, the fruits was smaller and numerous in the first, and more large in the second also if less numerous, but totally equal in quality and flavour).

To complete my experience (and to save the figs) in the large pot I added (added above, I could not stir in Sptember!!!), five or six gallons of common soil "of the field", heavy, stony and not very rich, so I watered: the substances of the added layer percolated into the soil underneath (or maybe the roots have grown up ...), and the plants have become suddenly like those of "Buchet" one, with small leaves, robust and strong.

(In transplantation I'll examine the distribution of the roots).

Result: My attempt has proved that is difficult to create an equilibrate artificial soil.

I also think that the best soil is the natural one, also if too rocky and poor, with only a bit of "thinked" addition.

The excessive manure in not retaining texture and great immediate growth exhibits sufference and diseases, parasites and weackness.

Bye SergNic

Comments (9)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals