SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
codywalker_gw

Remote Thermometers

Codywalker
19 years ago

Hi,

Some folks have asked about the remote thermometers I use in my low grow tunnels.

I bought my remote thermometers from Walmart. I'm not sure of the brand, but they were about $14 each. I saw the same units in the store last week. I've also seen something similar in Kmart and Home Depot.

Each thermometer has two "halves". The receiver and the sending unit. I keep the receivers inside and the sending units outside.

The sending units (i.e. the ones I have outside) come with a built in temperature sensor. My particular model also came with a "remote" sensor with about 3 foot of wire that can optionally be plugged into the outside units.

I put each outside unit in a zip lock bag (from grocery store) with just the wire and remote sensor outside the bag. The instructions warn against putting the sending units outside, saying that the batteries don't work in cold temperatures. The old carbon zinc batteries had that problem, but not akalines. The zip lock bags help keep the electronics in the sending units dry. One of the sending units got a little wet from condensation, but I used a hair drier on it for about 5 minutes and it was as good as new.

I also put the end of one of the remote sensors in it's own zip lock bag and buried it about 2-3" under the soil. I use this for soil temperature. Another trick is to keep the remote sensors out of direct sunlight. Otherwise they read about 10 to 20 degrees F. too high, even in the winter. The sun is warm!

Note, these "cheapie" units have limited range. The instructions claim up to 100 feet. I'm lucky to get 30 feet, and I don't have aluminum siding on my house. They are also fussy and stop transmitting/receiving properly (I.e no temperature info) after the batteries have been used for 2-3 months. I have replaced the batteries twice this winter. Each receiving unit uses 2 "AAA" batteries. Each sending unit also uses 2 "AAA" batteries. However, akaline batteries are relatively cheap.

I may try lithium "AAA" batteries next year if I can find them cheaper that $2 a piece on the Internet. The lithium batteries should last twice as long as the alkalines. It's somewhat of a hassle to change the batteries in the outside units on a cold or snowy day!

Finally, the units I bought have 3 channels. I use one channel to measure the outside air temperature. I use another channel to measure the air temperature inside the grow tunnel. Finally, I use the 3rd channel to measure the soil temperature inside the grow tunnel. The units also track min / max temperatures. I try to record this each day in a notebook, and then reset the min / max temperature.

I saw some units somewhere in a garden magazine designed specifically for greenhouses, etc. Gotya was that they were almost $75 a piece. I'd rather go with the cheapie units, even if I have to replace them every once in a while.

I hope this helps anyone that may have had questions.

Ken

Comments (8)

Sponsored