SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newbiegardner

Can you add Bahai grass seeds to St. Augustine Lawns?

newbiegardner
15 years ago

Folks,

My lawn guy says my lawn is dying and if I don't re-sod it soon, I'll have no lawn left. Re-sodding will be $700 (YIKES!) as I was told I will need seven (7) pallets of sod at $100/each.

In this economy, I can't spend $700 on grass. What are my options? Can I plant seeds? One advantage of seeds (other than cost) is that I won't have an unlevel lawn....or have to spend a ton of time/$$$ removing dirt. I imagine you can't just plop sod down on top of grass...you have to dig away some dirt so the final lawn is all at one level.

I looked everywhere for St. Augustine grass seeds...and was told you CAN'T GROW St. Augustine from seed? OK, so I found Bahai Grass. It is not a perfect match but better than a batch of plain dirt, no?

Are there downsides to planting Bahai seeds on a St. Augustine Lawn? Any advice for doing so?

Finally, what guarantee do I have that if I do spend $700 on re-sodding, that there won't be bald spots again in 6 months?

Possible Reasons Grass is Dying:

1. I thought maybe the grass is dying because of a sprinkler problem but checked them and they seem fine.

2) Grass doesn't grow well on slopes (most of the dead grass is on a sloped section)

3) The lawn guy's mower is killing it (I see some tire tracks...but don't know if the tires cause the grass to turn to mud..or the mud is there and therefore the tire marks show...a "what came first the chicken or the egg type situation here!)

4) My lawn is getting overgrown with weeds....but when I spread WEED & FEED, it kills the weeds and I get bald spots....it does the WEED part of the job but perhaps is not doing the FEED part. ARGH!

See pics below and any advice will be appreciated....as I can't afford to re-sod right now.:

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!