SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ottawan_z5a

A caution to remember to save hassle with in-ground potted figs

ottawan_z5a
15 years ago

Many fig enthusiasts have found that partially burying fig pots help the plant by letting the roots out through the side holes to graze out for nutrition and moisture. Adding more 1" holes to the pot sides help more roots out grazing for nutrition. However, make sure to close hole(s) at the bottom of the pot so that no roots go out directly underneath the pot which will become a hassle to cut in the fall when it is time to store away the pots for winter.

I had buried potted figs very deep close to the rims of the 14" deep pots. I had made twelve extra 1" holes on the sides in addition to the original 6 holes on the sides close to the bottom. I had closed the holes in the middle of the bottom of the pot with thick plastic pieces on all except 2 pots which somehow I missed to cover for closing. These two pots gave me a lot of trouble digging out because of the fat roots gone straight down through the middle holes on the bottom of the pot and were not easily accessible to cut (& the cold wet weather, while digging, made it a big nuisance). So next year when you are planning to burry the pots (which is a good practice), make sure to close the holes at the bottom of the pot. You may save a lot of hassle (though it may not be an issue with shallow buried pots).

Comment (1)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner