SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Let's compare coleus, my pics & yours

I'll show you mine if you show me yours! Sorry, I threw the tags away and apparently didn't commit any to memory. Feel free to speculate as to their names.

has been the co-star of my yard this year, sharing the bill with persian shield (strobilanthes dyerianus.) Also pictured with the wizards below, in lots of sun with white-ish lower leaves. It grows very fast and has been spread far and wide by now. Can handle lots of sun but prefers a little more shade, older leaves get white-ish under mid-day sun. Otherwise, its' color remains constant regardless of exposure.

This one also grows very fast and has gotten put in many different situations/conditions. As you can see, its' coloring is extremely variable with bright green, pink and white stripes in mostly shade, going to nearly solid burgundy in full sun. This single plant has made a different statement everywhere I put it. I wonder if its' name is chameleon?

This one did not grow as quickly until I put a cutting under the a/c condensation spout. It was also a later addition so I've only had about 4 months of experimenting with it, just recently have put new cuttings in more shade to see what color changes happen.

from seeds. More of the yellow behind those which doesn't seem to clash with any of the colors I have, but I garden with a pretty narrow palette by choice and design. These were the only plants that sprouted from the whole pack of (? 100) seeds. Only recently would I have felt either was big enough to bother taking a cutting but their location makes leaving them alone and bigger more desirable.

Since I did buy every one I saw this year that wasn't a hideous orange/brown or off-red color (lots of those!) you can see there were 3. Ho-hum.

In addition to wanting to see everyone's beautiful plants, I'm mildly curious about the narrow selection at *most* stores as a decades-long phenomenon. I know I am in good company when I say coleus is the first plant I look for and MUST have almost all of the ones I see at the stores. I know, I know, there is internet and mail order, but it's just a personal policy of mine not to get plants that way. I could find that info myself if I wanted. Not trying to sound *itchy or anything, that's just not the discussion I'm trying to start. I sure do miss being able to drive to Bakers Acres to browse!

Comments (51)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville