SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Plant info rarely contains safety concerns

lavender_lass
13 years ago

I know a lot of people say that you can train/teach your children to not eat plants in the garden, so any plant is fine to grow. However, if you have a lot of visiting children in your yard, that may not be so easy.

I don't grow any really toxic plants...too many nieces/nephews, horses, kitties, etc. running around in the summer. The last thing I want is a child with a bad reaction to a plant...and at least a half hour to the nearest hospital.

It seems like a lot of people are trying gardening for the first time. While most plants have some basic info on their tags, including zones (although lately, not as many) I think it would be very helpful to rate plants with a green, yellow or red tag. Green for roses and other "safe" plants, yellow for plants that are slightly toxic but nothing too bad, and red for plants like yews and lily of the valley. A green tag wouldn't mean your should eat it, but that it's relatively safe in the garden.

I'm not talking about government regulation (we have enough of that already) but just a general idea of what plants are safe, slightly toxic and very toxic. It would make it much easier for people with pets and children, who are just starting out. It amazes me how many people (at least in our area) plant sweet peas in gardens for small children and have no idea the pods can be poisonous...or that violets are much safer than lily of the valley.

What do you think? Would the red tags scare off too many gardeners?

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus