SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joe_grandinetti

Brown Turkeys? Help in Identifying Please

joe_grandinetti
15 years ago

Hello,

I really appreciate all of the sharing of information and great advice on this forum. I hoping to get some opinions on what varieties two of my fig trees might be.

I have had these trees for about 8 years and had just assumed they were brown turkeys, based on some basic research at the time - now I'm starting to question myself the more I read on this forum and Jon's Encanto Farm Fig forum.

One tree, I acquired as a one-year old rooted cutting from a Mr. Leo who has been growing the mother tree (in ground) in north eastern PA for 20 years or so. He does not know the true variety of the fig. The other I rooted from a cutting taken from my wife's uncle Corrado's fig tree, growing in ground at the New Jersey shore.

The leaves of these trees are of the same basic shapes - in fact each tree has leaves of slightly different shapes on the same tree.

First - the "Leo Fig". Figs are somewhat smaller and darker than the other tree. Flavor is a litle more concentrated and slightly sweeter.

From Leo Fig
From Leo Fig

Next the "Corrado Fig" - figs are slightly larger and more "reddish" in skin color, as opposed to purplish "Leo Fig". The "Corrado Fig" is a little less intense in flavor and internal coloring as well.

From Corrado Fig
From Corrado Fig
From Corrado Fig

From Corrado Fig

I would appreciate any thoughts or opinions anyone may have. Also - I am definitely NOT trying to name these unknown figs as "Leo" or "Corrado" - but did so solely for this discussion. Thank you all in advance.

Joe

Comments (5)