SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dannypa

Cuttings coming in! Need advice, please.

dannypa
15 years ago

OK, some cuttings are coming in now (as it seems the best time for many folks to prune) and I'm not sure about how to propagate them.

I have years of propagation experience but not with this species. I have a true nursery propagation facility with humidity control and bottom heat available.

Seems like they're in the mind of going dormant right now and I wonder if they must have some fridge time before I stick them? How long?

If not, and I can go ahead and get them rooted now, will they want some chill time before next year's growing season? (I know this is the case for some species. They just sit around and do almost nothing the following year without some winter)

On the sticking, I'll probably go with super-coarse perlite and maybe mix a little peat-lite medium in (usually, I'd do a 1:3 ratio but sounds like they want better drainage)

My guess would be to use 0.3% IBA in talc but one batch of cuttings mailed came prepped with Rootone which is NAD and Thiram. I also have some IAA and NAA I could whip up if needed. I think I even have some dip-n-gro around.

I probably would have drenched in with thiophanate methyl as a protectant.

Does anything I have planned go against the grain for figs?

Comments (6)