SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lesuko

Looking for Tapla and other experienced fig growers- Chicago Hard

Lesuko
11 years ago

Tapla- Your name pops up in the searches I've done for figs. It seems you know a lot about other things as well.

I was gifted a Chicago Hardy Fig unexpectedly. It came bare root this weekend (Oct.13) in a quart sized pot. I've read several postings and differing opinions on what one should do with this guy.

Can you help me with some questions as I try to figure out the best care for this tree? We're in zone 5 colorado, which means dry winters but we also have harsh winds which on a bad day can reach 75mph (about 7 times/winter), usually around 25mph. On the front range, we could get a 2ft snow dump but then get 60 degrees the next day. The ground does freeze.

1. Is it better to plant in a plastic pot or in the ground in general?

2. Given that it's mid oct and the ground could freeze mid november, should it go in a pot now and get planted in the spring? Or is there enough time for the roots to settle?

2.b I don't know if the pot or ground will be more troublesome. Our basement is below ground and would have to haul the tree down and up the stairs.

3. I have a spot in our west facing front yard that gets hot afternoon sun for at least 6 hrs. It is not protected so it will have to battle the winds. The eaves on the house cast too much of a shadow so it would probably only get about 4hrs of sun if it was right up against the house. Though the brick does generate heat.

4. Our soil is clay. We've amended spots where we've planted peach and apple trees which seemed to grow since the spring but since they were planted this year, I can't say for sure if they will survive the winter- though they should. Many people have them in our area.

This just means we probably won't be able to bend the tree to the ground and cover with dirt/trench it. It will be too hard to dig this. I've ready people protect it upright with either plastic or with some leaves. I've heard pros and cons for both. Do you know which is more successful? Here, the plastic may cook the tree if we get our usually blue bird sunny winter days- very sunny in the winter. But, I have no idea if the leaves will breakdown quickly and just blow everywhere. Though it's sunny, the ground is still frozen.

5. We would like to keep it small- we live in an urban area so our yard is very small. I've read that you can cut this guy back to 30" every spring/fall but don't understand what that means. Cut each branch to 30" long? Cut the trunk to 30" high and only keep the branches that are lower than that, or cut them all off? Up to 5-6ft is fine in height but I've also read that the Chicago fruits heavier with regular pruning.

6.A chicago hardy can die back and send up new shoots the following spring from its roots that is supposed to produce fruit. Some have said it took 3 years of die back to get fruit. Does anyone have experience with die back?

I called the nursery and surprisingly they can only tell me what it says on their site.

I would greatly appreciate any advice you can give- or anyone that has experience with a Chicago hardy. Please provide details.

Thanks so much!

Comments (6)