SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimberly_ussher

Where would you live in Florida if you could live anywhere?

SaintPFLA
16 years ago

Florida GWebbers!

I have been thinking about this question for a while. Probably, due to the fact that my own yard is the size of a postage stamp...(the upside, less to 'maintain' with my crazy work schedule...). I have all the space that my life/schedule can manage now.

I live downtown St. Pete in what is rapidly becoming a clone of Manhattan...with the polic sirens, tourists, rising property values, crime, etc. It's not this nice quiet, peaceful, little place any more. Some days, it's downright annoying.

When I see these beautiful garden photos from some of you from all over Florida - some of you have actual "property", ie: yards bigger than a postage stamp, my mind begins to dream. I begin thinking of, 'Gee, if I ever were to move...where the heck would I go?'.

So, I pose this question...if money, cost of real-estate, property taxes, family needs, etc. were not a factor, where would you move to live in what you feel is the BEST gardening location in the state of Florida? How much land do you think you would need?

South Florida? Orlando area? Up by Jacksonville? Or, closer to the Everglades?

Oh, and when I will the HGTV Dream Home Giveaway in the Keys, you are all invited to my first plant swap! ;)

Comments (55)

• pnbrown
    16 years ago

The best soil starts in the Gainesville area and runs northwest to the panhandle. It's no accident that's the region that had the cotton and indigo plantations.

Lake county and along the st john's a bit more northward is nice because it has some winter and still in the citrus zone, and some parts are not over-populated. And the springs are not far.

My grandfather made this exact same decision some sixty years ago and came up with Gainesville: small university town, quaint (in those days at least), about equidistant from both coasts, near all the great springs and many of the best rivers. Citrus does well there in sheltered locations, too, and most all other trees grow massively.

• nytrinigemini
    16 years ago

Excellent question .....my husband and I are going to be moving soon too....I love the weather in zone 10 but I can't take the traffic and crowds in Miami anymore. I will have to keep an eye on this post. We want a small town feel close to a city for cultural things too. I don't know that we are ever going to find it. I would love to be fairly close to an airport because we travel a bit.....but I also want land...at least an acre.

• Related Discussions

If You Could Live in Zone 9-10, What Would You Grow?

Q

Comments (51)
    Yes, in the USA, where people are accustomed to brightly colored peels on their citrus , they would automatically just assume the orange is unripe if the peel is green so I doubt many people would buy them as is. That's exactly why some commercial distributors in this country artificially dye their peels. I've seen oranges, limes and lemons that have clearly had their peels dyed. I used to pick all citrus at market by the color of their peels but after picking many citrus fruit at market with beautifully deeply colored peels in the past only to find them hard, dry and pithy inside, I now know better. Juicy ripe citrus will give a bit to pressure when filled with juice and fully ripe
    ...See More

What's on sale where you live? And where do you live?

Q

Comments (38)
    I have used those Argentina shrimp and think they taste more like lobster then a shrimp when butter dipped. That huge vein is roe in the shrimp, the vein lays under it. A lot of waste considering the heavy shell. They are unusually soft after còoking. My fish monger said he hears alot of complaints about texture. I have used them on and off for about a year. I always notice a much stronger smell from the opened bag and when cooking. Suspect they are not being handled carefully on the boat. None of the other kinds of shrimp have those issues. I worked in my family owned fish market for years, know fresh seafood does not smell. I will not buy the pink Argentina shrimp again.
    ...See More

If you could choose to live anywhere in the US, where would it be?

Q

Comments (153)
    @Beth H: The closest ocean to landlocked AZ is Puerto Peñasco, Mexico or in English Rocky Point. It's about 3 and a half hr drive depending where in AZ you begin - about 212 miles. You can get to San Diego Cali in about 5-6 hours which is 355 miles from AZ or head to L.A. in about 5-6 hours but don't try it on a Sunday or Friday! LOL @Destiny Jensen: If you think AZ has no major natural disasters - think again: Most frequent disasters are severe thunderstorms, flash flooding, drought and dust storms (ya haven't lived until a dust storm comes through town). Three years ago, a wildfire burned a half a million acres. Bring some marshmallows when ya come to stay. If you don't included Cali's wildfires last year, AZ is the 4 state with the highest dollars spent thanks to disasters - all natural. If you want a safe state, try Vermont, Main, Minnesota, Utah, New Hampshire, Connecticut or Rhode Island, Hawaii, Massachusetts or Washington for safe from most disasters - top 10. So, if I could live anywhere, where would I live? Well, right where I am now in the great nation of Texas. I like the rural life and the south yet be a day's drive to lots of places to take a fast weekend, hike, raft down a river, see the mountains - hit Mexico or Louisiana or OK, or AR or NM. Could even make MS or GA and panhandle of FL in one day's drive. Yea, and I can take a trip to see friends in Guadalajara in a couple hours or fly to see a friend in Granville Ferry and take in the Celtic festival in Cape Breton. No matter where I roam in this world, I always get a "high" when those wheels hit the great nation of Texas. Yeah, I'm home.
    ...See More

Where would you be living if

Q

Comments (57)
    I don't really watch TV anymore but one of my past favorite shows was Northern Exposure. So I guess I would be one more wildly eccentric resident of Cicely, Alaska. (Brrrr I hate cold weather) As a kid I wanted to live on The Ponderosa. (Bonanza)
    ...See More
  • garyfla_gw
    16 years ago

Hi
    Interesting question as my wife and I are still deadlocked after 8 years. ,and she's getting really old !! lol IF we move it won't be in Florida for sure.
    I want to move to a truly high altitude tropical climate and she wants to move to Kansas lol
    Trump is marking down Mar a lago in Palm Beach (an 11 by the way due to the oceam) It's been reduced to 32 million
    without the club but hey the city won't allow flying flags over 30x50 feet on residential areas lol. another downer you can't have a boat over 50 feet in the backyard !!
    I'm looking elsewher for sure!!lol
    gary

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    16 years ago

Right now, I wouldn't move out of West Boca Raton unless it was to the beach, on an acre of land, so I could build a bigger garden. I might consider moving further south, just to get away from the cold winters (ha!).

If it were not Florida, I would move to Jamaica in a heartbeat.

• goldenpond
    16 years ago

I lived one year in W Palm BLECH!
    11 years in St Lucie but it got too busy. and now I am lovin livin in Vero Beach. However there sure are lots of unique places! I love Lake County also and the antique shops in Mt Dora!.Gainesville's surrounding area is GORGEOUS!
    Panhandle has some real Character!It is a hard decision!I have a friend in Englewood and it is a cute place.
    Also Love Safety Harbor for its quaintness(as you can tell big cities are not what makes me happy)But I find weather on the west coast a bit more brutal than on the East coast ,am I imagining that? WE spent 6 weeks on the Caloosahatchie River and it was Lightening alot and my sinuses were just awful.But if you love to snorkel then the west coast is nice.

• mouseybrown80
    16 years ago

I currently live in Lakeland. If I were to move, I would probably move to the panhandle. I would prefer the slightly cooler weather and the zone 8 gardening.

If I were moving to the beach, I would move to Englewood. I love Englewood!

• manature
    16 years ago

Goldenpond, you aren't imagining. The Tampa Bay triangle has the most frequent and most severe electrical storms in the entire United States. I know this because I was once an insurance adjustor in Tampa, and insurance statistics proved it. Not a day went by without a lightening damage claim somewhere in the area!

I'm with you on not really liking big cities. My problem is, I want to be in the country, but be able to GET to a big city in 30 minutes. Hahaha.

Marcia

• pnbrown
    16 years ago

Sumter county is about as rural as it gets in florida and only 45 minutes to an hour from Tampa if you're near I75.

• manature
    16 years ago

In my dreams, PN. In REALITY, the place my BODY lives (though not my MIND), my husband will not leave the Orlando area any time soon. He's happy at his job, and doesn't want to commute any farther than he already is. So my dreams of country living are on hold for now. Maybe someday. Of course, if that someday rolls around, I'm probably going to try to talk him into a cabin in the Smokies first. If that doesn't work, then maybe Sumter County is the place for us. Thanks for suggesting it!

Marcia

• floridajane
    16 years ago

I've only seen the West coast of Florida, but aside from St. Pete I like my area a lot. We lived further inland before and decided that if we were going to live in Florida we should go Florida all the way, so here we are. Now we live a stone's throw from the beach on a ridge that isn't a flood zone and our house is nothing fancy so we managed to keep our expenses about even that way. Here there is a constant sea breeze, the bouganvillea is in bloom all year, and the air is just a little salty. It's been fun so far!

Jane

• islandpete
    16 years ago

saintpfla I need some help improving my front yard Are you interested. Do what you want just leave the trees. I really need some help

• solstice98
    16 years ago

Oh, and when I win the HGTV Dream Home Giveaway in the Keys, you are all invited to my first plant swap! ;)

Wait a minute! I though I was going to win the HGTV Dream Home!!!

This really is a good question and I've been thinking about an answer since I first saw the posting. But I still don't have a good answer. I love the Keys and the relaxed island feel. The Panhandle or even Jax would give the opportunity for some Z8 plants I miss and still keep me within close proximity to beaches. I still love Orlando but am getting concerned about the spreading crime and traffic problems. Nope, I still don't know where I would go if I could go anywhere. But probably Key West if money weren't an issue.

• garyfla_gw
    16 years ago

Hi
    SaintPfla.Find the comments interesting. I would suppose the realestate market over there is in a nose dive?? Bad time to sell but if all you want is a bigger lot shouldn't it be the best time to look?? How about some of the foreclosures??
    Made no comment about Trumps digs lol You said money was no object lol Why not dream at the top lol.
    Fawnridge Said you'd move to Jamaica in a "Heatbeat"
    What is holding you up ?? Waiting for a better time ??
    Is it practicle??
    The thing I disliked was the grinding poverty of most of the people. like most of the Carribbean, Another thing is living on an island there's only one way out!! lol
    What do you find so attractive??
    Noted that most people would move to less populated areas
    in spite of the weather. Does this mean that you think the growth of Florida is peaking or at least leveling off??
    When I was working I drove almost 75 miles a day . Can't imagine what that would cost now let alone how long it would take lol Remember whe we though dollar per gallon gas was expensive lol Where is that going to end??
    gary

• corar4gw
    16 years ago

I think she said the Bahamas - but you're right about the poverty. Either you're dirt poor or too rich. I lived and worked for a couple of years in Nassau and would have stayed if I had been single, but raising a child (school, uniforms, spirialing tuitions)was more than I could handle on my Bahamian income.
    My answer to the original question is-in my case, it's already a done deal. As soon as son and DIL can sell their house, we're off to Baker county - 7.5 acres almost on the FL/GA border. I've been reading up on what we can grow there for the past year. DO wish the housing thing would straighten out! cora

• corar4gw
    16 years ago

oops, I misread. SHE said Jamaica, he said Bahamas in zone 11? In any case, we've acknowledged that the weather will be a big factor in Baker County - hotter, colder and our own version of tornado alley. Years ago, I would have said I would give most anything to live in the Ft. Meyers area, but no more. Like most here, I long to be away from the noise and crime and have room to grow most anything I want.
    cora

• cycadjungle
    16 years ago

Growing up in Hollywood Florida and working with an engineering firm, I got to survey in many locations all over south FLorida. When I movewd to Lakeland, I surveyed again and got to see much of central Florida. Going to the local palm and cycad society meetings, we get to visit people's homes and gardens and get to see what they can grow.
    I would almost say, I like where I am at, but it is still too cold for me. The good parts are, I am in north Lakeland 2 minutes from I-4 and 7 minutes from all the shopping and banks I need and 9 minutes from the mall. My property is 1/4 mile long, it is filled with trees and what is very important, the well water is perfect, BUT I am in a cold spot. If it was a bit warmer, I would be most happy right here. The traffic isn't bad, the people are nice, and rural, and with no reaq restrictions, we can do just about anything we want.
    What I would dream about is a nice area like I like in but it would rarely freeze. I don't want to be in bad traffic or crime, so south Florida is out. I would rather not be on a coast where you get the blunt form hurricanes, but also in some of these places, the pH is way off and sometimes there is salt in the well water. Even though it is much prettier farther north, it is also colder. SO, where do you get the country without a lot of cold and be in the middle of the state? You have to look at the microclimates. There is a great microclimate in central FLorida just south of Lake Wales on the south east side of Crooked Lake. Picture people near Lake Wales growing papayas and avocados. I thought I had found the best place to live until I found out that that whole Lake Wales ridge area is covered in EDB and the ground water is poisoned and you have to double case your well so the EDB can't get into your drinking water. So, my favorite location would have to be just outside of Kissimmee. There is a small area, about 5 to 10 acres on the inside (SE side)of lake Toho (Lake Tohopekaliga) which is surrounded by low areas, but in this small area is sitting an orange grove, where the elevation is higher and there would be good drainge for my cycads. This place is normally a zone 10b right here in central Florida in a nice area surrounded by a great fishing lake, the water is great, and the area is not all that built up yet. At this point in time though, even if I had the money, I will stay right here and build my cycad jungle and will either die here, or someone will have to drag me off to the old folks home.

• stuartdave
    16 years ago

I would have to say Stuart seems ideal. congestion and traffic is not bad. the climate is wonderful with relatively warm winters- have not had a freeze since 1989. The beaches are nice, free and uncrowded and most tropicals will grow well . Its not like Palm Beach and south where the congestion and crime gets to you and to the north it is definitely colder north of Ft Pierce. The seawater rarely goes below 70 in the winter .

• suegrew
    16 years ago

My choice would be the Keys. The water is so beautiful and the variety of tropicals that thrive there always takes my breath away. Of course I would insist on my own private aircraft that was always at my disposal. Couldn't imagine the nightmare of getting over to the mainland whenever a storm was approaching.
    Really love the laid back lifestyle which unfortunately is in jeopardy when the cruise lines tie up.
    Sue.

• countrynest
    16 years ago

I'm very happy right here. I have three acres next door my older son lives on also three acres.
    Rural area yet close to everything. my daughter lives a few miles. All my grandkids close by and my 90 year old mother also lives a few miles (6 to 7 miles).I have known people in the area for 34 years. I have lived on this property for over 10 years so my fruit trees are getting more establish. very soon it will be all paid,that will be a great feeling.
    Felix

• tampafred
    16 years ago

Without a doubt, no questions about it, I would move back to Tallahassee. I love the hills, huge old oak trees, southern hospitality, quaint downtown, fall and winter weather, style of the houses and most importantly, my 'Noles!

• SaintPFLA
    Original Author
    16 years ago

WOW! So many interesting comments out here!!! :) I like how so many of us have given this topic some thought as well.

CycadJungle: you described what sounds like the Florida version of Utopia. It sounds wonderful.

It sounds like quite a few of you have your own little spot of paradise right in your own back yard.

I have to think that there are still some little back woods towns that still exist here in Florida. I started thinking about this topic after recently watching that movie about Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings and her experiences which led her to write The Yearling.

Granted, we often find ourselves yearning for simpler times on occassion. The reality is that, I can't live without my air conditioning for more than a day. And, I know this is true because it died this past August and I lasted an entire day before I had to buy a new sysem. ;)

A neat link to the Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings site where you can dream about simpler times:

http://host69.hrwebservices.net/~marjori/

• nugger
    16 years ago

English guy here so I guess any place in fl is fine for me but i do happen to live 2 miles from the suwannee river in a place called Old Town, I live in a sub div where everyone has 5 acres but very few are ocupied & so its very quiet. I have cleared alot of the property by hand over the last 4 years, mainly gum trees, I have some fantastic live oaks, crape mirtles, magnolias ect & would recommend this area to any one, only 30 min to the gulf where i work farming clams. we have more springs than you can shake a stick at. We have dear, turky, pigs, never a dull moment but i got to admit I love going down to sarrasota & looking at those Royal palms ect & wishing we could grow them, we brought a Bismark palm back with us from florida city 3 years back & its hanging in but not really doing much, breaks my heart when I know what it would be doing a few hrs south. I find up here a bit like the bermuda triangle as that i find it hard to actually get things to grow, a little too cold for citrus & a little too hot for apples, pears ect
    But compared with England the weathers FANTASTIC!

• gcmastiffs
    16 years ago

I love Jupiter. I'm a native Floridian.

Grew up in Lantana, Lake Worth, back when Jog Road was dirt and Military Trail was "way out west." It was very nice, quiet, with lots of open country.

I-95 being built spelled the end of our rural living on Hypoluxo Rd. Not many horses left there anymore. I used to ride down to Boynton, and felt perfectly safe on my QH stallion. It is not nice any more. What happens that makes formerly kid-safe and clean areas go downhill?

I remember when Ft. Lauderdale and Miami were great places to go. Now, I refuse to go there, it is like another country. I used to ride my motorcycle to Miami as a pleasant night ride. I'd just take US1 down, turn around and go home. Not something to attempt now!

I was shocked recently when driving on Military trail south of PGA. It looks dirty, dangerous and nothing like it used to.

I've worked in Stuart for 11 years. I do not like it at all. Terrible traffic with the worst drivers ever! The layout of the roads makes no sense. It reminds me of Sarasota 20 years ago. Overbuilt, too much concrete, too many old, drugged, and oblivious drivers.

Jupiter is still my haven. Jupiter Farms has large lots, 30mph speed limits, wildlife, and is at most times, peaceful. We have been here 21 years. It has become more populated, and sometimes, the neighbors are hard to tolerate. Having at least some land is a buffer against the insanity.

I love cold. I want to move to Colorado or Montana.
    If I had to stay in Florida, had $$$$, I'd look for land that butts up against a Park, like the Ocala National Forest. I'd buy as much land as possible, and let most go natural.

The Panhandle is a catch basin for hurricanes. I've been there many times, meeting friends from Lousianna. I like the soil and slight hills. The beaches are nice on St. Georges. The trees all lean from the winds, the houses are mostly on stilts. The West Coast is hotter, more humid, has more traffic, than the East Coast, in my experiences. I've shown dogs all over the state, and each area is different.

I'm happy with my town, but wish we had cooler weather, less hurricanes and no pigs allowed.(G)

I do not like big cities at all. I could never survive in Orlando.

Lisa

• cycadjungle
    16 years ago

I wouldn't want to live in this place for the gardening, but I thought I would add something about nice places to live. To all those people who like the keys idea, but maybe like what the keys were like in the 50s instead of the way they are today, check out Cedar Key, just southwest of Gainesville. There are no chain stores at all. The wharf area has shops and seafood restaurants like Ket West used to be, and the boating and fishing is good.Lots of rare birds, if you like that and just north is an estuary area where you get all that kind of nature to check out. I have been going there to study the native form of Zamia floridana (coontie)for the last few years, but this is a place right on the water where you could have your children play outside and not have to worry about them. There are some real nice places to stay there too, just to experience it, even if it is just a weekend. And the best part was for me, my cell phone didn't work the whole time and my wife and I carried walky talkies when we were in two different places and needed to talk with each other. They worked all over the island. A very relaxing place.

• Downeastmd
    16 years ago

I have an aunt and uncle along with cousins who have lived in Ft.Lauderdale and Davie for 35 years now and I remember when I would travel down to stay with them we would always go down to Marathon to get away for the weekend. It is so congested now I would never even consider that area, even though I do enjoy the climate.
    My Mom has lived in Lake County now for 28 years and that area has grown quite a bit also but I really do enjoy that area quite a bit. It truly reminds me of the real
    "Old" Florida in alot of areas.
    If I were to live on the coast it would be between N.Vero and Melbourne or between N.Jacksonville and Amelia Island.

I still get down to Fla. at least 6 times a year for a week at a time and love it, its a beautiful state and has something for everyone.

• treefrog_fl
    16 years ago

Central Costa Rica would be my first choice.
    Is that somewhere in Florida?
    I'd go to Montana with you too Lisa, but I'm afraid my feet would freeze.
    Been looking seriously at some areas in Arkansas.
    There's some tough gardening there too. And a bit of nasty weather.
    I've been to some beautiful areas here in Florida. It is a great state!
    I like where I live. Climate's great. But the overwhelming growth and poor political decisions have made my utopia much less than what I prefer. Unfortunate.
    And the economic situation dictates that I make the most of what I have for now.
    It's not all bad!

• lellie
    16 years ago

I wouldn't go ANYWHERE else but right here on Anna Maria Island...it truly is PARADISE to me.
    But.............if I was forced to move (ack!!!)...it would either be St. Croix, perhaps...or Central America.
    My relatives had a plantation in Belize, which was, at the time they lived there, British Honduras.

*I've always wanted to visit both places anyway...LOL!...but I know in my I'll always...ALWAYS return to the Island.

• abendwolke
    16 years ago

I like it here on the East Side of Orlando. quiet neighborhoods, just a half hour to the Beaches (Bellinda and cocoa are my favs), but still close enough to the city life. We lived in Vero Beach for several years, it is laid back and relaxing, and surely great for retirement life.

• finallyhere
    16 years ago

North Central Florida HAS to be the best part to live in . I love the weather, and so far, whenever a major storm comes in, it seems to sputter out before it hits the area we're in. Just a couple hours to either coast, can't beat it.

• tropicalfreak
    16 years ago

I would have to say "Orlando" area. Lots of little towns on the outskirts of the metro area. Small town feel.

If I won the lotto or something I would have to consider somewhere in the Keys.

The great thing about living in Florida, is no matter where you are in the state, you aren't far from the Gulf or Atlantic.

My two cents.

Cliff

• tomkaren
    16 years ago

Think I'd like inland from Ormond Beach. Just far enough to be have a nice big piece of land, but close enough to recieve the warmer temps from the water. I nned to be close enough to take a quick drive to see the ocean too. We get too cold here with many frosts each winter. Get so tired of dragging plants in or covering them up. Need warmth or even hot.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    16 years ago

Fawnridge Said you'd move to Jamaica in a "Heatbeat"
    What is holding you up ?? Waiting for a better time ??
    Is it practicle??
    The thing I disliked was the grinding poverty of most of the people. like most of the Carribbean, Another thing is living on an island there's only one way out!! lol
    What do you find so attractive??

Gary - I've always relished the thought of living on a tropical island. Having visited quite a few of them in Caribbean, I can honestly say that Jamaica is best. The food is wonderful - everything from hot and spicy to refreshing and healthy. The people are some of the friendliest in the world. And the beaches are superb for all sorts of watersports. All of the talk you hear about crime on the island is limited to several small pockets and the new government is busy staunching that element.

Land in Jamaica is still very reasonably priced and foreign investors are welcomed with open arms. Beachfront homes can be purchased for 1/10th the price of one almost anywhere in Florida and with a true tropical climate, adding a garden to such a home is a piece of cake.

The hurricane inference in your lifestyle is less than we experience here with fewer major storms striking the island in the last 10 years than the last 5 in Florida.

I could go on and on, but thereÂs a saying you learn on your first visit to the island, "Once you go, you know." I consider myself one of the informed!

• Irma_StPete
    16 years ago

I'd relocate to be near a body of water that gives cool breezes as the sun sets (but not so close as to have harsh cold wind in winter). Like, on the river/bay in Bradenton.

• SaintPFLA
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think we live in an awesome state! I travel for work to other parts of the US and soon, internationally as well.

It's very interesting to hear of other people's "perceptions" of Florida. While a lot of the country think positively about the state, there are many who think we all live in trailor parks and are married to our second cousins.

The other perception is that every where in Florida looks like a theme park, ie: Disney, SeaWorld, etc...

I frequently send photos and info to my west coast friends on Egmont Key, Withalacoohcie River Park, Sanibel's pristine beaches, etc. to try to share the "REAL" Florida.

Those are the reasons we all love it here - in spite of the congestion and sprawl. How many places in the world can you see a gator, a roseatte spoonbill, a manattee, a panther and a beautiful sunset all in the same day!

Plus, growing tomatoes in December...well, you just can't beat that.

• coyle
    16 years ago

Hey neighbor, I'm on the other side of the bay from you and I know what you mean, even we are getting growth here now.

If you can get a lot for your place I'd suggest checking out the area on the bay side of us41 around Ringling Gardens in Sarasota; it's really quiet back there and has a lot of neat old growth garden areas; and it's still near all the stuff we are used to.

My Mom has a lot on Santa Rosa Island (panhandle) and I would not suggest north florida; it's cold, wet and can get some bad storms.

Of course any place that you have a yard in Florida you can do some neat stuff. But you've got to think about things like bugs (my Mom's yard has moles that eat the bulbs) and I've got chiggers so bad around here that I can hardly go in the yard, and the mosquittos are unbearable in the summer, while in Sarasota NEVER a mosquito in town so...
    Good luck, whatever you've got in St Pete should be worth enough to buy a house with a decent yard; just check out your weather, soil, crime stats and spend time there first.

• ventura43
    16 years ago

Has anyone heard of Amelia Island? I grew up in Tampa and Orlando and never heard of this place until my husband talked me into moving here 18 years ago. We are on the east coast, north of Jax, on the FL/GA border. It's the western most spot on the east coast of the US. (not so many hurricanes)

I think its the best of all worlds....small town charm, close to a big city (Jax) for "city things", and lots of beaches, rivers, and outdoor activity. We have a change of seasons, ocean breeze, and are close to the Jax airport for easy travel. Can't grow the tropicals but a large variety of things do well here.

In light of "full disclosure" I must say I'm a real estate broker with alot of free gardening time on my hands right now :)

• mistiaggie
    16 years ago

We've lived in Melbourne and really loved that area. If I had to go back that way I'd live near Sebastian on the intercoastal around US1 somewhere. Or A1A if I was rich. ;)

We've lived in Kendal (Miami), don't recommend it, and Pembroke Pines and now Sunrise. Sunrise isn't too bad. Broward isn't bad for living in S. Florida. If I had to live in Miami again I'd make sure it was in the Redlands.

Ideally: Big Pine Key. A canal in the back with ocean access and key deer hanging out in the front yard. My job: biologist with NOAA or NMFS. ;) So, if you see an opening... ;)

• olyagrove
    16 years ago

I love the climate here, in Tampa - honestly do. I can grow warm growing orchids as well as cymbidiums, and OGRs do fairly well here
    I do want to move an hour away, further from the civilization; away from subsidized housing, churches and people speeding and throwing trash from their cars.
    My dream - and once I graduate, I will be working hard on it:
    5-10 acres, mostly undeveloped
    Preferably, close to a nature preserve and not right next to a busy road - hate seeing possums run over. All the possums and squirrels are welcome in my yard :)
    On the property: a big pond, a butterfly garden, a flowering tree valley (I have a bunch of flowering trees started from seeds, waiting for their spot in the valley: appleblossom cassia, silk floss, red kapok, etc), orchid conservatory and lots of oaks everywhere else.
    Till then, gotta study hard to get my PhD!

Olya

• teeka0801(7aNoVa)
    16 years ago

I've been happy for 1 1/2 yrs here in St Petersburg, close to everything and enjoying the gardening aspect,too. Traffic isn't bad and I have all I need within a few miles (HD, Lowes,you know, the important stores:) and one mile from grocery stores, Target,doctors,dentists, it's soooo convenient. Oh, and I live right across the street from the kids' school!

This is the smallest city I've ever lived in, so , for me, it is a change.

Lived in Miami for 10 yrs in the 80s, way too hot.Too congested now.Lived in San Diego, loved the weather, but very expensive;lived in DC metro area,loved not having a car.
    I love St Pete,though, really perfect for us right now.

• karen_florida
    16 years ago

I would build a little solar-panel covered cabin smack in the middle of Hontoon Island State Park, an island in the Saint John's River. It's a beautiful little wildlife sanctuary/state park right here in Deland (that's where I am) that you can only reach by boat. There's a little ferry you can ride across to the island, and it's such a pretty spot: very peaceful with river all around, big old shady trees, and lots of gorgeous birds. In season, there's manatee around the docks (Blue Springs State Park is right around the bend from Hontoon, and they congregate there in winter) If I could have my druthers, I'd have a thoroughly modern, air-conditioned little house, right in the middle of those raccoons and deer and alligators, and beautiful old trees. What a nice life it would be! (until the critters ate my garden...)

• dmaui
    16 years ago

I've lived here since I was four, and there are lots of nice, quieter places still around. Inland I like the area around Howey in the Hills and Yalaha. In the panhandle St. George's Island and Cedar Key are nice. On the Atlantic coast there's the area between St. Augustine and Jacksonville. On the west coast, Anna Maria Island is a slice of old coastal Florida.

We live close to the Wekiva River, and we love that. Since I am a nearly native, anywhere I live has to be near a body of water. I lived for a short time in Michigan and never felt so land locked in my life.

Yep, Florida is one big "Kick Me" sign for hurricanes. But no one place is paradise, you just pick the negatives that you can live with.

• pnbrown
    16 years ago

Karen, thanks for the tip - I'll be checking out Hontoon island next time. I might ride the train from NYC to Deland - has anybody done that? Bearable? Horrible?

• the_musicman
    16 years ago

If I could live anywhere, it'd be the Pacific Northwest.
    But to actually answer your question...

For gardening territory, I'd stay put exactly where I'm at:
    Forest Hills... historic neighborhood in North Tampa that is one of the best around here in terms of garden-district status. I've lived in the Tampa area for 23 years, and seen it all. This is one of the top spots for pure-garden-love-atmosphere. More people than don't around here garden creatively and eccentrically. It's beautiful.

The latitude/longitude and numerous lakes keep it from ever getting too cold for some things... so around the 'hood you see lots of true tropicals, Plumerias and Figs and such. Yet it is still temperate enough for things like Camellias and Azaleas.

So that's it. For gardening, I'd stay right here. The rest of me would like to be holed up in a mountaintop log cabin in the Cascades. Oh well :)

• SaintPFLA
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Musicman: wow...Pacific Northwest, huh? Somewhere up by Rainer?

I was living in Seattle before I moved back here. I had to live there for work as I am in the technology field. I was there for about 2 years.

I have to say, when it is sunny, it is a visually stunning area. However, those days are few and far between. I thought I was going to have to build an ark. It rained for 95 days straight the first year I was there, then stopped for one entire day before it rained some more. The second year was more of the same. Rain, more rain and then some more rain. Oh, and some snow too.

When I had a chance for a job transfer back to Florida, I jumped on it. Puget Sound was not my 'cup o'coffee' (a little Starbucks pun...). But, I do know loads of people who love it there. I assume they hate sunshine and love paying $6 for a half a gallon of milk.

From a gardening perspective, I was frustrated there as well. It seemed the only things that did well were azealas, ivy, spruce trees and that ugly colored 'cabbage' plant. The faux cabbage plant was everywhere. But, the azealas were huge and major show stoppers. Nothing like we have here in FLA.

As for me, I don't think I'll ever leave Florida again now that I am back. I'm still not tired of one sunny day after another.

• lhlfla
    15 years ago

I would live right here in Parkland, FL (NW Broward county in South Florida). We have an acre lot and a wonderful garden. I know that an acre is rare here, but its possible. We are in the country, but with the city nearby. Its an oasis. I am native born in Miami. I lived in rural New Jersey for many years which had its beauty but too cold. I have traveled to many beautiful places in Florida and lived in Sarasota for a while, but this is our paradise. Our weather is the greatest!

• sandy808
    15 years ago

The Ocala area is absolutely beautiful. My only complaint is that we live in a gated community, something I never got used to after always having much acreage in Upstate NY. If I had it to do over again, I would still likely live in this area, but would buy land instead. We are located fairly close to the Ocala National Forest, and it takes us all of about 15 minutes to drive to the Silver Springs river with our canoe. The Rainbow River is not all that far a drive, and is gorgeous also. It takes 1 1/2 to 2 hours to get to either coast if we need a beach "fix", but don't have the hurricaine issues that they have to deal with. I can grow camellias as well as many antique roses. It's a wonderful, unique area of Florida, and one of the most beautiful, in my opinion.

I haven't spent much time in the Suwannee area, but am planning on checking it out.

Sandy

• auntiejan
    15 years ago

After living in several different areas of the state I'd have to say right here in central east coast is my favorite, for many reasons.

For gardening purposes, it's just cold enough in the winter and although the summers are hot, there's that nice beach breeze. I like north central Florida too but it's too far from the beach to want to live there. I love fishing on the Gulf (I LOVE Englewood) but it's too far from family.

The hurricanes can leave us ALL alone thank you so much!

It's all great!

• junkyardgirl
    15 years ago

I'd live just north of Ocala, in one of those litte tiny towns on U.S. 301. When you said "if you could live anywhere", I'm supposing that means that you wouldn't have to worry about income.

Yep, if I didn't have to worry about income, I'd go up 301 and just settle in somewhere. Actually, I hear Spring Hill is very nice, just south of Ocala, isn't it?

But I need country air and acreage.

• beth7happy
    15 years ago

I'm really happy right here. East Central Florida. Close to the Ocean....easy access to OIA ... a mile from I 95. Would never wish to live north of Titusville....IF I could ever move, it'd be right here in Brevard ...someplace on the Indian River...frontage. Woods at least on one side with plenty of room for gardens. But....staying right here for the duration will be just fine with me.... it's old. it's small. but it's my tiny little corner in Paradise on this ole Earth. .......life is pretty much what you make it...... I'm blessed.

• ladyaustin96
    15 years ago

Well,

I am a Florida girl (covers my mouth) so many yrs. I am looking forward to living in small town Ohio in a couple of years when the market goes back up and we can sell both houses. We have property already to move onto...end of the month we are going up to find a house to put on it! So, I love my home state but I am ready for cooler greener climate!

Kim