SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19693214

Shine a Light!

User
14 years ago

Do you have a story about a small business you find inspiring? Here's your chance to nominate it for an opportunity to win $100,000 in grant and marketing support! Even if you don't have a story to share, you can still participate by viewing, endorsing and voting on other nominated stories. Plus, if you nominate one of the finalists, you can win a $3000 gift card. Join us in celebrating small business! Get started here.

What are the prizes?

The businesses featured in the three (3) Finalists will each receive a $10,000 grant.

The business featured in one (1) Winner, chosen from among the three (3) Finalists, will receive $50,000 grant and $50,000 worth of marketing support.

The submitters of the three (3) Finalists will each receive an American Express Gift Card valued at $3,000.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me directly by clicking on my profile.

Tamara Amey

GardenWeb Community Manager

Comments (10)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    14 years ago

and this entry is now on every plant forum on GW. I guess it is a chance for whom ever wins this prize, but It seems to me that it is OFF TOPIC in a big way and totally in appropriate to be posted here or on any of these forums. I am going to say something just to get it off the top of the list.I am interested in what others think of this. Maybe I am the one that is off base. Right above where one is directed to go if one is a business using the forum. Here is a quote," Advertising, in any form, is strictly forbidden in forum messages and on member pages." Is this a invitation to go to a business that is being pushed by the powers that be. It is advertising repackaged and I hope I don't have to read it on here. That is not why I come to GW. I see all the adds all around me and I try not to see them. I sure as hell, hope that the forums are not to be polluted now by clever distractions from the reason that I am here Flowers and plants. Do you here me , oh Management above? Maybe you should post and ad alongside the PLedge ad to my right.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

I think it's for real, when I sent GW an email about the back button problem the reply I got was from a Tamara. Maybe this should have been placed under What's New On Garden Web instead of here or, maybe it was posted as a thread in hopes that more people would read it, how many of us ever think to read What's New on Garden Web.
    I think we should just put it down to an ooops, you know, like we all do from time to time. Hmmmm, I wonder if she would like to join our Knock Knock Club LOL.

Annette

• treelover
    14 years ago

What I can't figure out is why gardenweb.com is promoting a contest sponsored by American Express and NBC Universal---and it's a contest for small businesses. Where's the connection?

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    14 years ago

I hope we don't get too many more of these. Have any of you noticed the ABSURD number of times the I-village pop ups come up for this same thing? Every time I click on something a new one will come on.

I did read on another forum that many such posts, pushing products and even buisnesses, are indeed given the 'go ahead' by GW. Even though it says it is forbidden.
    CMK

• treelover
    14 years ago

CMK: If you download the Firefox browser and install the AdBlock add-on, you'll be able to use these forums without seeing any advertisements at all, including pop-ups. Except those that are on here as postings. (Like this!)

FF browser download: www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/upgrade.html

AdBlock add-on download: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

Since iVillage owns GardenWeb, it seems reasonable that pop-ups, surveys and ads sponsored by iVillage can be presented at will :-) And since GW is funded by advertisers, the other ads are a fact of life.....unless you have a browser that eliminates them. Posts that advertise (attempts at nonfunded or free advertising/self-promotion) ARE prohibited.

The connection is that iVillage is sponsoring the contest - it is just underwritten by American Express and NBC. And iVillage is a wholly owned subsidiary of NBC Universal Inc. GardenWeb is only one of dozens of message boards/forums under the ownership of iVillage.

Does no one bother to read the Terms of Service?

• treelover
    14 years ago

"Does no one bother to read the Terms of Service?"

I lack the strength of will.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    14 years ago

gwtamara (well crap, - its all crap - what you think!!!

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Well, frankly, I was thinking maybe we should take this opportunity...who's the best writer here? Could they write something nice about one of our businesses such as Plum Cottage on Etsy?
    There's a small business that relates to us and probably could use some winning cash :)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

I second that :o).

Annette

Sponsored