SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pudge2b

Feeding & attracting & photos of winter birds

Pudge 2b
12 years ago

This weekend we're supposed to get our first real snow of the season so I guess winter is definitely still on the agenda :( I had hoped it would skip a year.

Our winter birds vary but chickadees, nuthatches, hairy and downy woodpeckers, blue jays, magpies and the odd raven are standby's. We sometimes have boreal chickadees, common and hoary redpolls, and bohemian waxwings. Very occasionally I've had grouse in the back yard - they like all that straw mulch, I think, and the odd flock of pine grosbeak will fly through. I like to feed them all and try to attract as many as possible to the yard.

We throw out a handful of peanuts in the shell every morning - the bluejays are usually hanging around waiting for that to happen, lol. A squabble then ensues when the magpies show up.

My observations are the woodpeckers like the beef fat the best. I don't render it - tried that once and big stinky YUUUCCCKKK - won't ever do that again. But the plain old beef fat stuffed into a suet basket works just dandy. The nuthatches are really liking a mixed seed compressed block that I put into net bag (from lemons) and hung against the tree trunk. Chickadees are just happy and sample from all the feeders.

I've not had much luck with the suet blocks bought from the store but this year I bought some from walmart and the woodpeckers and nuthatches are eating it up. They were a pretty good price, too.

This year when I was cleaning the corn off the garden there were some cobs that for one reason or another I hadn't picked off. So I picked them, pulled the husks back but left them attached, and then tied them up with some twine into a bundle and hung that bundle against the trunk of the 'feeding tree' (the tree trunk where I hang suet and beef fat). I didn't know if any of the birds would be interested so I was happy to see the bluejays just went nuts for that corn and eventually stripped most of the cobs of all the kernels. Next year, I will have to grow and dry some corn specifically for them.

I know others here like the birds as much as I do and we've had some awesome photos in the past (still remembering Konrad's waxwings on a fence, such a great photo). So here's to another winter bird season!

Comments (15)