SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
longbeachin1

Evidence of Root Knot Nemotodes

longbeachin1
17 years ago

A while back, maybe a year+ ago I posted regarding my stunted Black Jack Fig Tree. After 5 years (6 now) it grew slowly and much less than I expected. I got advice from forum members about causes and solutions to the problem. I dug in the soil and did not find any nemotode nodules. Fertilizing the tree did produce a lot of leaved by still not much branch growth.

Frustrated, last March I dug the tree out of the ground to replace it with a more vigorous fig variety, that's when I found the nemotode galls on the roots. Some older roots were severely galled. I'm amazed how I missed the RKN when digging a small investigative pothole previously.

I've still got the tree in a pot and it produced some good fruit this hot year. Since I get about 30-40 figs/year from it most recently, I'll keep it potted, well watered and fertilized. I did not replant another fig tree in this part of my backyard. Sorry for the delay in posting, but here it is and the root photo may be helpful to some others identifying RKN.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH