SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
erin_g_gw

Newby with new trees and questions....

erin_g
17 years ago

I'm new here and new to the fig world, but not new to gardening. I'm a "late bloomer" and can't believe I didn't discover earlier what a joy these gems are. But I'm digging into the fig world with a vengence now, and I'm glad I found this forum! :)

That being said, I got started with my collection recently....Black Mission, Brown Turkey, White Italian, Patrick's Supergiant (a hybrid from Ty-Ty Nursery in Georgia), and another one that I was given cuttings from. I'm not sure what it is, but the figs are green with stringy-type pulp that is light pink in color. It's mild-tasting, but good.

Anyway, I had a series of questions that I can't seem to find answers to, and was wondering if anyone here would be willing to help educate a newby? :)

1.) How in the world does cross-pollination occur for these (and others to come) to produce hybrids?

2.) Does anyone know if all the seeds in one fig would produce the same type of tree, or is every seed from one single fig capable of producing something different? The thought of planting hundreds of seeds just from ONE fruit is mind-boggling, let alone selecting several fruits from several trees!

3.) What are germination requirements for seeds?

4.) How long does it take for a seed to grow into a fruit-producing tree?

5.) If one were serious about learning how to develop hybrids, how would you control the pollination between two types? What if I ended up with a tree that had delicious fruit but didn't know who the "daddy" was? :)

6.) And last but not least, since this forum seems to be the "creme of the crop" where fig growers are concerned, I thought I'd ask everyone's opinion about their dream crop. If you could only have 10 trees, which ones would they be and why?

Since I'm new to this, I wouldn't have the foggiest clue as to what to order in months to come, although I did place an order with UCDavis for the white Col De Dame, per another post I was reading! :) On a side note, any idea of what the prices are like? They weren't listed.

I apologize if these questions have already been answered before. I did go through some older posts, but after about an hour of looking, I didn't see anything that helped me. It's not too easy finding fig-hybridizing info on the web, so I'm hoping some of you can help a newby learn the ropes?? :) Thanks for any and all advice!!

~ Erin

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County