SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debbiecz3

Stella D'Oro Daylily Snob

debbiecz3
13 years ago

I admit it, up to now I've been a bit of a snob about Stella. Regular, boring old Stella that you see everywhere. Well here it is Oct 4th and I'm looking out my kitchen window and there she is with 4 lovely blooms. We're talking Manitoba here, any day with warm temps and sunshine and no frost is a real bonus and to see her sunny blooms just makes me happy! I've changed my mind about good-old Stella!

Comments (32)

• northspruce
    13 years ago

Hah, yes I'm that snob too. My neighbour across the street had a professional landscaper remove the front lawn and put in rocks and Stellas. I noted with a little evil delight that one of them was tall and orange... heh heh heh. But I'll admit they did look nice all massed in bloom, and they even look nice right now with all yellow foliage. To each their own I guess. I haven't mowed my lawn since August so I can't point the finger.

• oilpainter
    13 years ago

Well I'm no Stella snob. I love my Stella and I have a few,including brown eyed Stella and a new double stella.

How many plants give you a big flush of yellow--my favorite color--blossoms, is a good backdrop for other smaller plants, has foliage that looks good even when it's not blooming and then gives you more blooms, has no pests and is tough as nails.

Maybe that's why you find them boring. They just quietly go on doing their thing, with no bugs or diseases to fight. Maybe you like the challenge. Not me. Give me a plant I can ignore that gives me a lot back and I'm happy.

• Related Discussions

HAVE: Stella D'Oro Daylily

Q

Comments (1)
    The stellas have been claimed. Thanks, Nikki
    ...See More

Width of Bed for Stella D'Oro Daylily Border

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks! I appreciate your help. I will start preparing the bed.
    ...See More

Digging Stella D'Oro daylilies

Q

Comments (2)
    Yes, they'd be fine. I don't think anyone has ever managed to kill a Stella d'Oro. They're really a work horse plant. I'd opt for a sharp spade since you will have to dig down (at least 6 inches) and under a bit. I'm just not sure a sharp knife would slice through the clumps so a piece could be lifted, but a pruning saw would work. Stellas grow so quickly, in a couple of seasons you'd have your own good sized clump to divide. I have to divide mine every two years - they get the size of a bushel basket. As to whether or not these mown down plants are for the taking, I can't say - perhaps the block has a new not so skilled maintenance person or the planting scheme is to be changed anyway.
    ...See More

Recommendations for daylily similar to Stella D'oro

Q

Comments (16)
    Re-reading my post , I thought , I wasnt particularly helpful ( sorry about that ....can I blame it on being overly tired from digging all day ?) Well maybe not but I thought I should do some reasearch and although I am still unable to suggest daylilies that bloom down in the foliage i found this article that might be of some interest in maintaining your Stella D'oro daylilies or perhaps even other daylilies that you decide upon . Here is the link : https://dengarden.com/gardening/How-To-Keep-Stella-De-Oro-Daylilies-Blooming-All-Season-Long This link also may help you find a number of reblooming daylilies that might fit your criteria : http://snyderfarm.rutgers.edu/pdfs/TG-AppstersDaylilies.pdf Hope this is of some help .
    ...See More
  • FrozeBudd_z3/4
    13 years ago

Stella did poorly for me ... sure, she had grown very well and bulked up fast, though just hardly would throw any blooms and refused to rebloom, I just could not figure her out ... and, yes, I had the real McCoy ... though, someone from Calgary had said they also had the same experience.

BUT, then I planted Stella Supreme and it's been a totally different story and an excellent and consistent performer.

Terry

• nutsaboutflowers
    13 years ago

Yes, here in Sask., I have some boring old Stellas, too, but I still like them. They're the reason I bought 13 other varieties of daylilies. They're just so easy, like Oilpainter said.

I just checked and I have 3 blooms, with hopefully more to come =:)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    13 years ago

Neither of my yellow Stellas bloomed this year. I think the shed dh built is shading them too much. Will have to move them, i guess. Either that or chop the end of the shed off! :>

• nutsaboutflowers
    13 years ago

What's with men and their sheds? ( Or was it built for your stuff? If so, that's different LOL)

Thank goodness my DH doesn't like to build sheds....my father has built 5 that I'm aware of.....

13 years ago

No it wasn't built for me but i got in it anyway and have some gardening things in there. Trouble is, i'd need a whole shed for all of my stuff!

With my husband it's lean-tos. He has lean-tos built on to lean-tos.

What this all roughly translates to is TOO MUCH STUFF!

• marricgardens
    13 years ago

I agree with Terry. I've had Stella for about 10 years and it has never done well for me. There are lots better daylilies out there for me. Maybe I'll check out Stella Supreme and see what its like. Marg

• oilpainter
    13 years ago

All who said your Stellas didn't do well--

Maybe your soil is too rich--maybe you gave them too much fertilizer or water.

Stella's seem to thrive on neglect. Mine are in clay soil that I have amended through the years, but 8 inches down it is still clay. They get time release perennial food at the start of summer and not much else. They don't get watered often either. Not that the latter is much of a factor. Last year we had a very rainy year and this year we had almost a drought from May to August. Both years my Stella's did well.

• stanly
    13 years ago

I have at least 12 Stellas and they all do very well for me and they don't get any special treatment. I have a couple of them blooming right now and their fall yellow leaves look good at this time of year. Stan

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    13 years ago

Marg, yes, do plant Stella Supreme, it's been very reliable for me and the color is very pleasing.

Oilpainter, my regular Stellas had been in black soil supplemented with peat moss, I had never fertilized them. I think I'll try it again here my new location that has much different soil conditions.

Terry

• rosesstink
    13 years ago

For some reason I'm not fond of Stella's color but I really like Happy Returns, which is one of Stella's offspring. It's more a true yellow. Another option for you to consider.

• Joan Dupuis
    13 years ago

I like the size of Stella, but not crazy for yellows. I did see someone post a pic of a Peach Stella that I prefer. She said she got it years ago through Vessey's, but looking now and not available.

• valleyrimgirl
    13 years ago

Peach Stella must be an unregistered daylily as it is not in Tinkers or anywhere in the internet. I wonder if Vesey's just made up a daylily name for it?

13 years ago

I'd send you a piece, Joan, but it's not big enough to divide yet. :)

• Joan Dupuis
    13 years ago

Awwwwe Marcia, that's sweet of you for the thought. Maybe I'll just have to get a Stella Supreme and try crossing it with some of my regular sized daylilies. I like the shorter varieties for the front of borders.

13 years ago

Maybe you can ask Betty at Floral and Hardy if she knows a source for you. She's excellent!

Here is a link that might be useful: Floral and Hardy

• locoburro9_aol_com
    12 years ago

I have a peach Stella, and it is simply beautiful. I got it at WalMart a few years ago, and the tag read that is was grown specially for Wal-Mart. I wish I had bought several of them, but was skeptical at the time. It's big enough now that I can divide it either in the fall or next spring.
    Those of you who say your Stella's don't bloom well...do they maybe need divided? I split some of mine about every year and give some away.

• Pudge 2b
    12 years ago

My stella's don't bloom much and dividing didn't help - just gave me many more clumps of sparsely blooming daylilies. Location didn't make a difference either. My plants are all divisions of the same plant.

My neighbour's stella's bloom like crazy. Go figure.

My Happy Returns blooms and blooms - this year I divided 2 plants into 8 and will eventually get rid of the Stella's.

• beegood_gw
    12 years ago

Sherwood Park uses them in some of their boulevards sp? and they are all in full bloom. Quite pretty altho I am not a fan

12 years ago

I moved mine last fall to a sunnier location. There are more blooms now, but i wouldn't exactly call it "lush". Maybe by next year. Peach Stella hasn't even thrown up a scape yet this summer, but she sure was lovely last summer!

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

Ok fellow gardeners. Dad has this lily that blooms almost continually tucked in the corner of the front bed. It seems to have popped up in other places too. I kinda assumed it was Stella but I forgot about MHR. It just finished blooming but I will take a pic next time it blooms (which should be soon) and maybe someone can give it a real name. :) I'd say more yellow than peach but deep yellow. Thanks for remining me. BTW it is in full South exposure pretty much all day and I can't kill it! I tried! So I have just made friends with it and it looks nice this year the first bloom cause Shasta Daisy blew in from somewhere and bought the space next to it!

• northspruce
    12 years ago

If it's a true daylily it has a chance to be the somewhat invasive species Hemerocallis flava. If you google it, it will try to redirect you to H. fulva but it's FLAVA you want.

12 years ago

Not Stella and not MHR. No ruffles that I remember whatsoever. Very plain but a deep yellow and kinda tubular blooms like a trumpet lily. Seems to be only one bloom per scape but lots of scapes. It is only about 18 - 24 inches in height (foliage) Scapes are only slightly taller. It doesn't look like H. flava, or at least not the color I think.

• ginger57
    12 years ago

I have a lot of stellas, they are always loaded with blooms. Most of mine are in a very sunny part of the garden.

• nutsaboutflowers
    12 years ago

Funny how I was ready to dig up 3 Stellas this spring because I decided I really didn't like them well enough.

Hmmm. Now that things are in bloom, they're making a beautiful background for red roses, johnny jump-ups, california bluebells, delphiniums, etc.

I'm so glad I didn't get rid of them =:)

• savona
    12 years ago

My stellas are always reliable to bloom, some years better then others. I divided some last year and so far this year they are staying very small (the foliage height and fan sizes)these havent started sending up scapes yet but I would love to see them stay that small.I have a happy returns and the blooms on it I think are more attractive then the stellas...Jean

• shazam_z3
    12 years ago

Got some last year for 99 cents at HD - there's always some place every year that sells them for cheap. They already started blooming two weeks ago - very surprised that they had scapes basically when they came up this year!

• weeper_11
    12 years ago

I like my stellas. I'm a "daylily snob" in the sense that essentially always buy daylilies from daylily growers on the other side of the country rather than greenhouses(because of how much better the selection is) but as full as my garden is getting, I'm not tempted to dig up my Stellas. They are reliable, early and long blooming, and pretty much always look nice and healthy. Mine never get leaf streak like lots of my other daylilies. Sure, the flowers are small. But I actually like their shade of yellow; I think they look cheerful, and as others have noted, they are great backdrops and companions for other perennials.

12 years ago

Weeper! Where you bin gurl? Nice to hear your opinion on this. I like the little yellow ones I have growing in the front bed too even if i don't know if they are Stella or not. They have a couple of buds almost ready to open so I'll remember to post pics this time. I'm sure one of you daylily collectors can ID them for me. :) In any case, good to hear from my Sask. neighbours.

• weeper_11
    12 years ago

I am rather inconsistent with being around, aren't I? Ha ha..I've been stupidly busy with all the regular yard stuff with watering a new shelterbelt on top of that. BAH. I vote that trees should water themselves.

On the topic of Stellas, I always get a chuckle in fall when we get our first few frosts, my Stella's are usually insistent on sending up a couple more scapes before they pack 'er in for the year. Silly flowers. ;)

12 years ago

I finally have an ID for that silly yellow daylily. Browsing through Fundy's Beauties daylily pics and there it is, my mystery daylily. It is a species lily called Hemerocallis dumortieri.....Yay!!! So not Stella and not MHR.

Weeper ~ this is the thread you had mentioned your shelter belt on. The one that you have been so carefully watering. :)