SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19717033

Marylane Seedless and Marseilles vs black,PIX

User
15 years ago

Marylane is indeed seedless.Very good tasting for a white fig.

It is said to perform well in all fig growing regions.

Now I got evidence that is also growing in region outside fig teritory,like New Jersey.

Here it is the first fruit:

Comments (8)

• hlyell
    15 years ago

Vasile,
    I'm glad to hear you report the "Jelly" fruit is good for you. I only had a few figs this year, but they were very good here also. I'll have to wait until next year (hopefully) for some Marseilles VS fruit. Since Sal's and Hardy Chicago have done so well here I expect Marseilles VS to also do well.
    Henry

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

O Yes It will Be at least as good and a little better.
    Production is also much bigger.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Uups:Henry I forgotten to mention that this are middle season ,for MB.,and that the earler fruits were much larger,up to 45 grams.
    Marylane seedless was 55 grams.

• paully22
    15 years ago

Herman, how old is your Marylane Seedless? I hope to be able to enjoy some Marseilles VS Black fruits next year. I got it this year in a gal pot & now it had branched very well at 3ft tall. I had pinched off all fruits for this year. I don't have Marylane seedless yet, it has been on my mind for a while so if anyone have any spare cuttings I would appreciate if they can contact me via email thru garden web.

• gorgi
    15 years ago

I also recently harvested some Marylane figs and thought
    that they were above-average for taste. The only 'hickup'
    I have is that my 2005-UCD specimen, still shows
    significant signs of FMV on the leafs (growth is OK).

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My Marylane is not from UCDAVIS,it is from a trade I made against a Hardy Chicago plant with a person in New York.
    It doesnt show any deformed leaves,but id did not grow and in fact died to 10 inches tall ,this Spring without reason,being in My Garage.I got it in Exchange as a small tree in November 2007.
    I do not have wood for cuttings yet.
    Happy Gardening

• vern_2006
    15 years ago

How winter hardy is Marylane? Will it make it through the winter in zone 7B unprotected? I have one oredered from Mr. Robin.

Vern

• hlyell
    15 years ago

Imagine my surprise when I found these new little green leaves sprouting from cuttings in a 5 gal. pot. I had put several Mary Lane cuttings in potting soil in this pot in mid-March. I had long since written them off as dead. Then just a few days ago something green caught my eye in the pot. Two of the cuttings had just sprouted new growth here in September. In the white cup is an Adriatic cutting I put in that cup in March also. It also rooted and sprouted growth within the last week. So, don't ever give up if the cutting isn't obviously dead.

Paul,

If either of these Mary Lane cuttings make it, you are welcome to it. I have a couple of trees in 5 gal. pots and don't need another one. Write me at HL@comcast.net. My trees show no signs of FMV.

Henry