SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tapeuper

Help with my new NY Fig Tree in MO

Tapeuper
12 years ago

I received a cutting from a friend in Brooklyn of a wonderful Fig Tree that has been growing in Brooklyn for 50 or 60 years (maybe more since that is how long they have lived there). It rooted very well and I planted it. It grew fast and beautiful to about 4 feet tall. But suddenly and unexpectedly I had to move and could not bear leaving it, so I dug it up as carefully as I could and moved it (same city). It was August and it did very well. When fall came the leaves fell off. I wrapped it with burlap and hoped for the best. Come Spring it was apparent that the base up was dead. Then the mowers accidentally mowed it down to my horror!!!!!! But a few months into Spring a sprig came out and it grew a new shoot straight up. It is about 5 1/2 feet tall and looks fabulous.

Here is my question: It has two other shoots coming off the side. One shoot is about 3/4 as high as the main shoot and the other is about three feet high. I also noticed another baby shoot coming out. I want a tree and not a bush so should I cut off these shoots. Or is it better to leave them for more figs? I live in St Louis, MO (Zone 5?). Also I read to wrap and fill it with hay. Does that mean inside the burlap all the way up the tree? Sorry I am new at this. I put up four post and wrapped the post last year. This was not successful at all:(

Thanks so much!!! I can post pics if you like:)

Tapeduper

Comments (8)