SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janroze

What's happened & new gardens

janroze
14 years ago

Apparently they don't pull old threads forward, so will start a new one. Just want to say I appreciate mor, pat, tx, dancer, bec and others I may not be aware of all looking for me. So here's a bit of the interim saga.

Family has kept me busy. DH had two shoulder surgeries that I wouldn't deem a success. He has just as much pain and is now more limited in function--means more of the work is on me. I have to help with things over his head, but he can still ride bike. In fact, the position is more comfy than a chair for him.

Sadly, my bro had a stroke night before last, they continue to run many tests. He is in ICU at AZ Mayo. I find myself touching bases with people I think of as old friends, because of it.

My older DD is still a nurse at Mayo and loves it. Younger DD lost her job due to companies move, but has found another more to her liking. Her kids, our grands, are now 12 & 14 y/o. Where does the time go? We have spent time at school events, ball games, music concerts and dance recitals. We did all this once. I guess I was blind sided. I didn't realize all this was in the grands job description too.

I've been busy with volunteer work as well as I was teaching oil painting. After being a nurse and chaplain and now a teacher, I quit all employment this year--it just gets in the way of living. I considered teaching out of my home, but don't seem very enthusiastic, so better not start it.

As the grands grew, so has my garden. I have added teepees and trellises of clematis and plan to start some in my lilacs to see out the study window, a bunch of lilium and daylilies, a few disease resistant hardy roses and a long desired butterfly weed. This year was the first time for cannas and an annual banana tree. Decided I didn't like their looks. DH did, so we shall see...

The biggest endeavor has been starting a hosta bed half way down one side of the house and wrapping all the way across the back boundary. They are all still small. I hate to think when some those hit 6' wide.

In addition to flowering plants, you got me started on wanting a pottage garden, yes it is your fault. My only sunny spot was on a slope. Finally, gg built it up and flattened on another rock terrace. Then I had my garden guy (gg) build a raised bed on top of that. It is small, so I did square foot gardening of tomatoes, pole beans, herbs, summer squash, cukes, lettuce, carrots and radishes.

The bunnies got all the carrots early on, so I had gg put a fence around it. I figure my produce is about $500 a pound. chuckle I need to do more tree pruning to increase the sun it gets.

We still travel in the winters and this year have had at least one short trip every month while at home. It make keeping up with the garden quite difficult, but I've learned to let a few things go or do less often--like dead-heading.

Looking forward to hearing what's happening in your lives.

gramma jan

Comments (2)

Sponsored