SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jimmieldavis

Figs for Northwest Florida

jimmieldavis
14 years ago

Hey All,

I am new to the GW Fig Forum. My family and I (wife and two children) grow a variety of vegetables and fruits in our backyard. We grow mostly in SWC, Earthboxes, and have a 4x4 SFG. We grow blueberry, strawberry, pineapple, papaya, sweet potato, tomato, kale, broccoli, corn, lettuce, spinach, peas, beans, carrots,...

Our children have recently taken a liking to fresh figs and I recently became more enamored with them once I tasted them closer to fresh defined as "just picked" and closer to tree ripe (from a local farm) versus "fresh" in the local market (but not produce locally).

I have started to research the fig (the varieties are endless). I registered here at GW and also at Figs4Fun. I also understand, respect, and appreciate the need to read before I post but I do have a quick question and a comment about what I have read so far:

Q: I know that Brown Turkey, Celeste, and LSU Gold can be (and have been) grown successfully in Tallahassee. Can (or have) other more highly rated/desirable/flavorful varieties (like VdB, Osborne, Well Sweep, Sals, Tiger) be grown here successfully in containers? I also know that a fast ripening, closed eye variety is favorable due to the humidity however here in Tallahassee, we do have "cold" winters, i.e., frost, temperature in the teens, and approximately 400 chill hours. Any suggestions?

C: I have read a little about rooting from cuttings as well as the sharing of cuttings that occurs throughout this Fig Forum. I am truly interested in growing a nice range of figs here in Tallahassee and would appreciate any knowledge and cuttings that can be shared.

Regards,

JD

PS: Here are a few photos of what we are growing

Passion Flower

Pineapple

Papaya

Ginger & Turmeric

Comments (6)