SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luv2gro

What are you ripping out this fall?

luv2gro
18 years ago

Just came in for a quick "rest" before I go out and rip out some more. Actually, I had to take a break before I rip out my whole garden and start over!

I decided on a couple that I definitely didn't like where they were and they are gone. Both Coreopsis 'Mayfield Giant' and Coreopsis 'Double Sunburst' are gone (mostly). I did save 3 small clumps and put them against the fence until I find something I like more to replace them with. These were just spreading too fast and looking untidy already after just one season.

And another that I have totally dug up and is gonzo is Oenothera biennis Evening Primrose. This was not the plant I thought it was and it grew into large shrubs about 4 1/2' high at the front of my bed. Looking at the root systems, I'm glad I got rid of it this year. These were from winter sowing this year. They started out as very tiny, little seedlings when I put them in the ground in May. I honestly thought they were too small to plant. Definitely, this is a monster plant that would be very showy filling up space between a shed and the fence. Or at the back of a bed. It certainly is a strong, erect plant with no sprawl. Again, I might try it against a fence somewhere later.

I also ripped out a couple of Shasta daisies that I knew I really didn't want but put in simply because no garden is complete without daisies. I've got more in another spot.

What are the "just don't like it" plants that you're taking out this year?

Shauna

Comments (21)