SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
faltered_gw

Fall CG Seed Swap: October 31st deadline

faltered
17 years ago

The other post about the seed swap reminded me that I should probably post the deadline!

This year the deadline will be October 31st. That means I need to have your seeds in hand by that date. Please please please mail them to me before the deadline.

There is one stipulation: this year I am asking that no one mail their seeds to me before October 8th. I will be on my honeymoon and unable to check our mail. I don't want all of your seeds sitting in my mailbox roasting. So please wait until the 8th to mail them out.

There are no rules for the swap per-se. Here is the overview I posted last year:

"For those of you that are new or didn't see this before, a little explaination. Save seeds from your cottage garden flowers, shrubs, herbs, etc. Put aproximately 25 seeds in a seed packet. Include the name of the plant (both common and latin, if known), sun requirements, and hardiness information on the packet. You can also include any other information you have or feel like sharing. Be sure to put your GardenWeb name on the packet in case a recipient has a question about the seeds.

Then, take all of your little seed packets and put them in a padded envelope. Include an extra padded envelope that is addressed to yourself and includes the same amount of postage that you put on the outside envelope (this will be for return journey of your new seeds).

You may also include a brief want/wish list. Just jot down (legibly please!) on a piece of paper three seeds you would like to receive the most. I will try to fulfill at least one of everyone's wishes, depending on the seeds that are in the swap.

And, if possible, please include an extra stamp for the return journey of seeds to our non-American friends who would like to participate (Eduarda, Ann, etc.).

To obtain my address, please go to my member profile and email me. Title your email "CG Seed Swap" or something similar so I know what it's about."

Veggie and herb seeds are more than welcome to include as well. And if you have any other questions, feel free to ask me when you email me for my address.

Happy seed saving!

Tracy

My website

Comments (73)

• mrsgalihad
    17 years ago

Edna, if you haven't gotten anything yet for seed envelopes you could try an office supply store for coin envelopes.

• mmqchdygg
    17 years ago

stupid question: Why would we need to send the extra envelope for the return trip???? You're going to have double the mailers that way...???

• Related Discussions

Cottage Garden Fall Seed Swap

Q

Comments (100)
    I'd love to swap too! I started a cottage garden last year on what used to be my front lawn. If I can manage to save some seeds, I'd love to do this. This will defintely get me motivated to learn how to save seeds. Tracy, if you are in Hamburg, NY and you need help with the swap, I'll volunteer to help you if you like, I live in East Aurora.
    ...See More

It's Official- Fall CG Seed Swap- Nov 9th Deadline

Q

Comments (58)
    Gottagarden, that is really interesting that you say that. I sent you an email pleading you for some amaranth and helianthus/heliopsis seeds as you suggested(which was the one you have?), but figured you didn't have the seeds as I didn't hear back. I was worried I was bugging you! :) Wierd that we are having email troubles. Should we contact gardenweb?
    ...See More

NEW: Its time again-fall spectacular Seed Swap-2005

Q

Comments (110)
    I would like to thank you from my heart to Willy and to everyone who participated in this round robin... It's been a pleasure to received the package and learn about the different seeds... Willy... you are really a great person... and ohmygosh I can't even imagine how much work it is to do this... God Bless you! Diana
    ...See More

NEW: Sign ups October ~Cracked Pot Gardner's~ Fall Bounty

Q

Comments (40)
    Ooh, Mariann, I couldn't imagine even running a comb through my hair with that dent in there much less all they put your head through at the salon. Just thinking of them combing out sections before they snip with the scissors is making me shudder. When I worked in a retail store years ago I had to sort some things in our stock room. The ceiling was very low, only 5ft high (I'm 5'10") and had pipes running all over it. I was always so cautious when working in there but one day I stood up in the wrong spot and hit my head on a brace holding the pipes and went out like a light. I had a dent in my head for quite some time. That was back when I used hot rollers every day to get myself ready for my day. Ouch, the memories! Your mold problems are much worse than mine. The black mold can be especially dangerous. I just found some on one of the kids volleyballs that was left out under some bushes. I need to wash that with some bleach to remove it before they start playing with it again. I'm glad you wear a mask when it is bad. That stuff just isn't good for you.
    ...See More
  • todancewithwolves
    17 years ago

DUH, why didn't I think of that. Coin envelopes! Great idea! Thank you!

Ed-

• mmqchdygg
    17 years ago

Staples has diff't size ones...I use the #2 size, but they are a bit pricey at $8.xx for 250.

Maybe eBay has some cheaper.

• girlgroupgirl
    17 years ago

Sending the fully prepared bubble envelope makes it so much easier for Tracy. She doesn't have to spend time addressing, or affixing, blacking out etc. The extra bubble envelopes can be used with voluntarily sent extra postage to our friends in other countries.
    Tracy will be preparing upwards towards 80 trade packages, AND getting married, and working, and honeymooning! Anything that makes her life easier would be so nice.
    Wal-Mart carries seed baggies for $1.00 for 100. They are kept in the craft area but are not usually near the beads. Look around the areas where they put the embroidery hoops and other small things.

GGG

• todancewithwolves
    17 years ago

GGG- I'm looking for packets to individually place seeds, then I get a box to ship my seeds along with a few return padded packs and 2 books of stamps to help out. Last year when I sent individual seeds with plastic padding some arrived with mildew upon their destination. Walmart you say? I'll be going there too...thank you!

• limequilla
    17 years ago

Bless you girlgroup!!!! I found the plastic zip plastic bags right where you described, but the funny thing was I had to nearly fight with the clerk who insisted there was nothing like that in her department!

I was really sick of making cute little paper envelopes, ad the coin envelopes seemed really expensive! Now I have to figure out how to make cute labels for them.

Lime

• cziga
    17 years ago

I'd really like to participate in this seed swap, and I've never done this before (as i've never really had any seeds). I was wondering what kinds of seeds are usually sent in? Do they have to be fairly different or rare? I assume that most of the people participating have the basic flowers, right? So I would probably be looking for seeds from flowers that are not as common . . . to make the swap more useful for other people participating?

Thanks for the advice!

• ntaylor_2006
    17 years ago

Like cziga - I've not done this - can we send and receive seeds from the Great White North???? I would be so pleased, and am saving seeds, just case.....Please let me know!!!

Regards, Nancy.

• todancewithwolves
    17 years ago

Seeds for cottage gardens. If your not sure about cottage plants check out the FAQ. I'm not particularly fussy :-) I just get so excited to open a package.

Edna

• faltered
    Original Author
    17 years ago

What is common to one gardener may not be common to another. I was looking for lots of cosmos and marigold seeds last year, of all things. Others are just starting a garden and have nothing, so common seeds are just fine. Send in what you have- everyone will love it!

Tracy

• fammsimm
    17 years ago

Tracy just made a great point when she said that what is common to one gardener, may not be common to another.

Plus, there are so many colors and varieties of cosmos and marigolds ( using them as an example) that you just may discover a variety/color that you weren't aware of and then fall in love with.

Something I found interesting from last year's seed swap is that one of my best performers came from a cottage gardener in Alaska. She sent pink petunia seeds to the swap and I was lucky to get some!

Despite all the heat and drought we're experiencing, my petunias are hanging in there beautifully! They both sprouted very easily, and grew very fast for me, which surprised me. I thought that perhaps seeds from a different climate would not make it here. Happily...I was wrong. :-) So, don't be afraid to send what you have.

Besides, it's a kick to get seeds from other cottage garden friends. I love looking at my garden and thinking, "There's Eduarda's Joe Pye Weed, GGG's Nigella, Tracy's Cosmos.....etc." :-)

Marilyn

• romando
    17 years ago

***BUMP***

I just filled 71 packets of seed for the swap...
    (yes, I am wicked)

Amanda 'romando'

• faltered
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow, you are on the ball Amanda. I haven't even started saving seeds yet. I need to get my butt moving!!!

Tracy

• haxuan
    17 years ago

Hi Edna... I don't think US laws permit agricultural stuff from other countries to reach US soil... unless... unless... you sneak it through Customs (which is not advisable, right?) So it's out of the question for me to send you guys anything from Vietnam no matter how much I want to! :-(
    I am a by-stander in this seed swapping job. Poor me!!!

• moonphase
    17 years ago

Amanda,is this 71 pkts. of different seeds?I am still trying to decide what is the no.1 seed to wish for..lol.I too will be sending alot of seeds but haven't started putting in pkts.yet.Hope I get some petunias back.They usually do good for me here.ahhhh getting excited about this already.
    moonphase

• barbamaman
    17 years ago

Still time to join this one? So many seeds, so many still to try...I'd love to join!!!

BTW on little envelopes, try Offic Depot, look for "coin envelopes".

Barb

• barbamaman
    17 years ago

Could I suggest everyone fill out their trade page so I can send a lot of stuff you all are wanting? I love to match up what I send with other's heart's desire

Barb

• romando
    17 years ago

The 71 packets are mostly different; though there are a few things that I had LOTS of, which I included 5 packets each of that particular seed (mixed hollyhocks, for example). I'd say there were fewer than 5 types of seeds that I sent more than one packet of...I'm so sick...

Amanda 'romando'

• butter_fly
    17 years ago

I am very excited. I am new to this site and I would love to share some of my seeds this is my first year that I have collected seeds and my husband thinks I have gone crazy. But I love it! I hope this trade is open to newbies.

• remy_gw
    17 years ago

I just finished making a batch of envelopes to put seeds in! I know I made over 100, but I will end up needing a bunch more! You're all getting my seeds whether you like it or not! : )
    Butter Fly,
    My husband thinks I'm nuts with all the seeds. I keep telling him it is a good addiction, lol!
    Remy

• irene_dsc
    17 years ago

Barb - Is there a format for a trade page set up somewhere that I'm missing? I can say, so far I have collected some blue flax and coreopsis (possibly Mayfield). I recently started thinking about my wish list - maybe hollyhocks (preferably singles), cleome and larkspur?

• butter_fly
    17 years ago

I was just wondering is someone could send me the info

• faltered
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Butter fly: Just email me through my member page asking for my address for the swap and I'll send it right along.

Tracy

• butter_fly
    17 years ago

Hey I was just wondering how many of us are their doing the seed swap. On average about how many seed packets does everyone include.

• barbamaman
    17 years ago

Irene - Scroll down to the bottom of this page - click on Member Pages.

Once there, click on Edit Your Exchange Lists

et voila!!!

Just fill it in.

:)

What I want to know is, why did Cottage Gardens vanish from the list of Forums the last 2 times I looked for this forum? I was about to email Amanda to ask her where this swap thread went!! but there at the bottom of her page she'd put Cottage Garden as a fav, so I thought "You don't suppose...", clicked on it and here I am.

Thought I'd lost my mind there for a bit...

Barb

• Eduarda
    17 years ago

To Ha Xuan, regarding sending seeds to the US

I don't know about Vietnam, but I'm in Europe and I've never had a problem sending and receiving seeds to/from the US. I believe the agricultural restrictions you mention apply to live plants and include Europe as well. I have never read a mention about seeds up to now and I have been trading for years without any problems. As I said, I don't know if there are any specific restrictions for Vietnam (can't think of a reason for that, though), but you may try to inquire at the American embassy? I'm sure you'd give them some food for thought for a while, LOL!

Of course, our selfish reason for this is that we would love to try some Vietnamese beauties from your gardens! ;-)

Eduarda

• haziemoon
    17 years ago

butter fly,
    This is my first year too, and I heard some people were sending as many as 100! so far I have 110 packets ready to go. I spent the last 2 days making labels and Filling packets. I saved so many seeds that instead of the 25 per packet, mine are more like 50 to 100. I just had so many!
    I got pretty addicted to it, and had to go out and look for them all the time!

Haziemoon

• butter_fly
    17 years ago

Man, and I thought I was doing good cause I have 23 finished. You are kickin my butt. I am so excited, but I am worried what if none of my seeds grow!! Everyone will want all there seeds that turned into Beautiful plants back!!!

• threeorangeboys
    17 years ago

Me too! I am stressed now. What if I have things you guys don't want??? Mine are pretty boring like black eyed susans and morning glories!

• irene_dsc
    17 years ago

Barb - Thanks! I filled out my exchange page.

(Not sure if I'll have a chance to fill any more seed packets...I think I've got about 10...)

• haziemoon
    17 years ago

There are a lot of new gardeners here too...so the regular
    stuff may be wanted. I could find a place for more blackeyed
    susies! Some people had to start theirs over because of the drought too. So send what you have. I packaged up alot of regular stuff most people have, just incase.

Haziemoon

• todancewithwolves
    17 years ago

*ROTF* butter_fly

Last year it was such a blast to receive a package in the mail FULL of seeds. I asked for nothing except for Eduarda's Judas tree, everything else came as a surprise. Although I already grow Digitalis, the Digitalis seeds I got from England were so special. In other words *send whatever you got*.

For those of us who's mail is primarily bills and junk mail, Tracy did a splendid job making Christmas come early.

I Ooo'd and Aaaa'd over my seeds for weeks. I showed them off and hoarded them *lol*.

Edna

• butter_fly
    17 years ago

LOL. I have a feeling I will be as excited as my kids on christmas morning. I just can't decide on the one plant I want to ask for, there are so many choices!!!

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

I just stumbled across this thread. Is it too late to join?

• mmegaera
    17 years ago

Hi, I'm another newbie who would like to join in. I don't have a lot of variety, but I do have the electric blue larkspur someone mentioned, which is currently going to seed all over the place (this is *not* a complaint [g]), and I have chives and a few other things.

May I play?

Megaera

• butter_fly
    17 years ago

I would die for your larkspar. Join, please join. I am a newbie too and don;t have much variety but should be fun anyways. Everyone has been really nice.

• threeorangeboys
    17 years ago

Part of what is confusing me is the trade/swap list. Am I supposed to go somewhere to look and see what people are sending in to trade? I went over to the seedswap exchange, but didn't see anything that said Cottage Gardens. Not to mention, got totally intimidated by all the descriptions, shipping requirements, etc!!!!
    Tracy, I see you have said just include a wish list in with all the seeds, but it also looks like above, people are referring to an electronic version of wishlists for others to peruse. sorry if I am making this more complicated than it needs to be!!!

• haziemoon
    17 years ago

threeorangeboys,
    I think someone was wanting people to update their trades lists, to see what they should send in. As I understand it,
    just send in what you have, and make a list of a few things you'd like to get, and send it with the seeds.

Haziemoon

• mmegaera
    17 years ago

butter_fly, I harvested probably a dozen packets' worth of electric blue larkspur seed this morning -- at least one of them will have your name on it, metaphorically speaking (g). I sure hope the color breeds true -- this is the first season I've had them, but they weren't listed as hybrids or anything when I bought them, so I don't see why it shouldn't.

I may have *one* packet's worth of garlic chive seeds -- I just have one pot of the plant, unfortunately. I will have to see what else I can rustle up, but I didn't see anything else going to seed out there. I wish I'd come across this thread a couple of months ago -- I had love in a mist, candytuft, and bachelor's buttons seeding all over the place.

Is it okay to put on my wish list "nothing that gets huge, please?" I have a very small garden...

• butter_fly
    17 years ago

I am sure that would be fine. As for your short seed list, I take my sons out for a "walk" and make them "pick" dead flowers for mommy;0). That is how I got alot of my seeds as I don't have a whole lot of plants in yet!! But next year when these all bloom, you guys better watch out cuz' y'all be gettin my seeds whether you want them of not!!!!:0)

• faltered
    Original Author
    17 years ago

threeorange: Yes, some people are updating their trade lists to include the seeds they will be sending in to the swap. Edna has also started a thread where we can list what seeds we'll be sending in.

It's really more of a pot-luck type swap than anything else. But you can include a brief want list so at least I can try to get you something you're looking for. The rest are all a surprise.

Tracy

• limequilla
    17 years ago

I am getting so excited for this, I can hardly stand it!

As much as I want it to be RIGHT NOW, I sure am glad for the later deadline because I have so much blooming now that I bet the seed won't be ripe until that last week in October.

So, here I am thinking about seeds and the swap and all of a sudden I think about Tracy and all the seeds that will be showing up at her house. AND the expression of her brand new groom's face when he sees the dining room table and every other flat surface in the house just covered with seeds! LOL! I guess you might as well train him from the start!

Lime

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

Ha Lime, very funny!

I'm beat. I just spent the last 3 hours packaging and labeling seeds. Got the table cleared off moments before DH walked in. This swap was good incentive to get me organized. I did 90 packets but still more to go, ugh. I don't think I'm gonna harvest anymore, yea right :)

• limequilla
    17 years ago

Oh good, Julie -- and you've got some good loot!

So, how do people clean these seeds? What kind of equipment do you all have? Right now I am using 2 collanders and 2 strainers with different sized screens. To say my seed is chaffy is an understatement, but on a lot of them, I can't figure out what the seed even is (Filipendula for example). Others, like ageratum, I thought you were supposed to crumble the seed heads, but that would naturally include the browned petals. The heuchera is the same way, but in that case it's the short little stems of each individual flower that fall through the screens. On Victoria Salvia, I have to individually roll each seed pod between my fingers to get what appears to be a single seed out, and I have 1000s. On marigolds, not all the seeds are heavy and black -- some are light gray or white. I have 10,000s of those -- no way I am going to fish out the light gray ones and blowing on the plate was a disaster of the 1st magnitude, but thank goodness I did it outside!

I can NOT be doing this right! It's hours and hours and hours just to clean & that's not including the packing & labeling. I heard some people are making their seed packs from scratch -- now how in the heck do you have time for that?

All-in-all I would say I might get a bad reputation from my dirty seed.

Lime

P.S. Would a salad spinner do any good for anyof these seeds? I think I need to mechanize! LOL!

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

Lime,

I really don't worry about it too much. Whatever I can separate with my fingers is what gets done. A lot of my seeds aren't naturally chaffy though. For those that are I just include extra. It doesn't hurt to sow a little chaff along with the teeny tiny seeds. And the large ones like zinnia and marigold can be sorted out at sowing time :)

• west_texas_peg
    17 years ago

Does the seeds have to come from my garden? I have made swaps on the seed exchange and have some 'bonus' seeds I don't need. May I include these?

Thanks
    Peggy

• barbamaman
    17 years ago

On seed cleaning - I trundle around the gardens with plastic bags, little containers, plastic cups - and when I find a ripe batch of seed, I carefully engulf the whole seed head in a plastic bag, break it over and then clip off the stem.

Then indoors, I leave the seed heads upside down in their loosened containters to dry. Unless I've picked the seed unripe or too late, a week or 3 later, I find my seed on the bottom of the container, or they'll shake out When I snap fingers against the stem.

It's the heavy seeds that drop of their own that are fertile. Pale seed that the pod doesn't release are unripe and won't grow.

Many seeds are very round. Tip a sheet of white paper with the seeds and debris and the heavier, round seeds will roll out.

And don't worry too much about chaff. I'd rather have good, ripe, well dried, chaffy seed any day over perfectly clean seed that doesn't grow.

A question: Would anyone here like some natives, like wild Ageratum, Yellow False Foxglove (Aureolaria), Ironweed or Dogwood?

This is great! So much fun!

Barb

• girlgroupgirl
    17 years ago

No offence, but I'd personally rather have your own collected seed, or fairly fresh commercial seed rather than previously traded seed.
    Why?
    Because sometimes traders don't know exactly what they have and can pass along seeds/plants which are improperly marked.
    I wouldn't much worry. I'm adding LOADS AND LOADS of extra seeds to the batch and am not really asking for anything in return. I have LOTS of seed. So for those with little to spare, there will be many extras to fill your envelopes!

GGG

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

I ditto GGG but didn't want to be the first oine to say it - lol.

Sponsored