SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cmmwiebe

Cherry-plums and other cherries

cmmwiebe
13 years ago

This past spring was a severe test of ornamental and fruit plants. Numbers of older Clematis did not return and so is the case with some of my Cherry-plum plants. I had quite nice plants of Sapa and Convoy which I think were on Prunus Bessyi (Western Sandcherry) and they were totally top dead. By this time there are 2 that are showing signs of new shoots so I am hoping they will harden off and make the winter. We have had so much rain though this last several days that it seems likley that there could now be some stem rot take place if it does not dry out.

The Sandcherries on the other hand did well but did not produce more than a few berries.

All Evans Cherry suckers which my brother picked up from a fellow in Edmonton died so that was a total loss.

I did get one good sucker from Carmine Jewel and look forward to it blooming next year. There is a family who operate a booth at our Farmer's Market who use the Carmine Jewel as their feature item in Ice Cream and sell frozen pitted berries as well. They seem to do very well and I hope to drop in and see them this fall yet. I think they are Prairie Sun Orchards.

Carmine Jewel has fostered a marketing organization which you can find at this address.

http://www.cherryproducers.com/index.html

I would be interested in hearing how other growers have done this past summer with producing trees and shrubs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Canadian Cherry Producers

Comments (4)