SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hermie3rd

Celeste leaves turning yellowish with brown spots

hermie3rd
10 years ago

Hi All,

I bought this celeste fig last week in South Carolina while visiting my sister. It was outdoors in the nursery, so there wasn't any protection from the sun. I repotted it and set it on my front porch, which faces east. It has been getting morning/early afternoon sun, and then is shaded starting at about 2pm. I live in Michigan, so I was figuring that it would be able to be in the sun for that period of time, but I've noticed the leaves beginning to yellow and get brown spots on them. Is this sun scorch? I plan to bring the tree indoors in the winter, but I'm wondering if it needs more shade? Thanks!

Comments (8)

• MohammadLawati
    10 years ago

I do not think its the sun, maybe it wants to ripen the figs and the pot is limiting its resources so it is sucking the life out of old leaves to give it to the figs. Notice young ones are green. Maybe, you need to check it before taking my words for it because I too have little experience.

• hermie3rd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, ML - I removed all of the bad looking leaves, and I'm just going to watch it. I wonder if part of it is transplant shock? The container it came in was quite a bit smaller, so it should at least have a little room to grow. This one is well-draining, so I'm hoping it will adjust soon before I have to move it into my house for winter. My lime tree was in this container before, and has done wonderfully - in fact, it had to be transplanted this spring because this container was too small for it! So hopefully this guy will settle in and not die on me. :)

Thanks again!

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    10 years ago

Michigan weather, especially night temps, if cooler, will trigger the dormancy response. The yellowing leaves tell the story. The growing season for figs in Michigan is far shorter than in the Carolinas, so, this is natural. Just don't fertilize the tree at this time. You will force new, tender growth that can be easily damaged by cold weather.

You say you are going to bring the tree "indoors for the winter"... do you mean you will continue to grow the tree indoors in a warm area, bright, sunny window, or, I hope, overwinter the dormant tree in a cool garage? Your tree will be better off if you let nature take its course, let the tree go dormant, then store it in a cool, unheated garage, and keep the roots from freezing solid. It will push stronger growth next Spring. You might want to re-pot into a larger container just before tree breaks dormancy, next year. Home Depot sells 18-gallon storage tubs that make very good containers once drainage holes are drilled into the bottom-sides. Figs are very fast growers, and the pot your tree is in now, will quickly fill with roots.

I wish you luck with your new tree.

Frank

• hermie3rd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the advice - I did mean inside my house, but I will definitely take your advice under consideration. I know fig trees are obviously not the same as citrus, but I have a lime tree that has been doing extremely well for me for the past 4 years. I bring it in the house during the winter, and place it downstairs in our finished basement. I basically water it once a month, sparingly, and then begin to increase watering once spring comes. It has worked really well for that tree - the container the fig tree is now in has been my lime tree's home for the past two years, but it has gotten so big it needed to be replanted. I was planning on doing the same thing with the fig tree - bringing it in, placing it downstairs, and watering it sparingly over the winter. My lime tree too has been a fast grower, so I'm used to repotting.

I definitely wasn't planning on fertilizing until next Spring. I don't fertilize anything over the winter, and my plants tend to do pretty well, so I was planning on following that same schedule with this guy.

Thanks again! I appreciate your advice. I'm definitely a fig novice and just trying to read up and learn everything I can. :)

Renee

• hoosierbanana
    10 years ago

It looks like you got a LSU Gold or something like it instead of Celeste...

Sadly, it seems some plant sellers relabel varieties that do not sell well with better known names names that are in demand from the public. But you are lucky because Celeste is not always productive in northern climates.

• hermie3rd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Huh - well, that would be okay too! I'm not too picky - I just thought it was healthy looking. They nursery did have some LSU Purples, but they didn't look as nice as the Celeste (or what were labeled as Celeste). :)

• ahgrower Horne
    10 years ago

Hi Hermie3rd,
    I live in metro Georgia and my Celeste looks just like yours at this time. We have had a lot of rain this season and I do believe that this is nothing more than sun scald. My plant is planted in the ground and every year, the leaves will turn this color. I have had this plant for nearly 4 years now, and every spring it comes back just like normal. I do what I am supposed to do as far as taking care of it, its just the seasonal change thats all. 2 years ago, I saw 3 figs on the tree. They didn't make it to full maturity. This year, I had 2 on the tree and I knocked one off while pulling up weeds around the tree. Needless to say, I was more careful thereafter. I nursed the one lone fig, and last week, I harvested that fig and took my time slowing eating it. It was delicious. It turned a purplish brown-not as dark as my brown turkey figs-but I knew it was ripe and ready because it had started to droop. It was worth the wait. So, again, your tree won't require a whole lot of care-like Bronxfig said-let nature take her course, your tree is going to be just fine. And soon you will be enjoying the fruits of your labor too!

• hermie3rd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much Ah! All 3 figs have dropped off. :( I have been removing the leaves if they detach from the plant easily, and there are new leaves coming in that are green. This is just my first fig, so I want to make sure I'm not doing anything drastically wrong. I'll try not to fuss too much over it, and see what it does. Thanks again! :)