SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jean_ar

A couple FFO,hooray, more blooms

jean_ar
14 years ago

The first bloom on these two.These were sent to me right after I broke my wrist,so they are still in pots for now.

Gee, I never did like Orange daylilies,WHAT WAS I THINKING. I love this one,,ain't it just gorgeous.I am sure it will even be more gorgeous with the next blooms,and after I get it planted, too.

This is another beauty.The peddles seems a little pinched on it, but,was noon before I could keep my camera working long enough to get a couple pictures.And that sun out there is H O T.

{{gwi:786972}}

This is the second bloom on this one,and I think its just a gorgeous bloom.I simply love purples.I keep going outside every little bit just to look at it a minute and admire its beauty.A minute is about all I can handle of that heat out there.

{{gwi:786973}}

Hope you injoy my not so great photos.

Jean

Comments (12)

• opnjmprs
    14 years ago

The photos look great Jean! The color on that KANSAS KITTEN is so pretty that I'd be checking it out every few minutes if it were blooming in my garden. You sure do have a lovely group of blooms there.

Linda

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

Your photos are just fine, Jean. All the daylilies good great. I have to laugh when you say that you don't like Orange. It seems to me that you always commented favorably on many pictures of orange daylilies last year. Then again, sometimes a daylily just looks better in person, especially when its in your own yard.

• conniemcghee
    14 years ago

Jean, thanks for posting Oktoberfest! I have been thinking about maybe putting that one on the list. Now I will!

I'm liking Kansas Kitten too. :)

It sure IS hot out there! I was out for about an hour this morning doing stuff, and it is just too hot for any human. I don't even know how the squirrels are standing it!

• blue23rose
    14 years ago

It reached 96 here in southern Indiana today. Too hot to play washers. Darn, my Dad was looking forward to that too.

These are very pretty Jean and your photos are just fine. I had to laugh about the "orange" comment. I thought I would not have any oranges in my flower beds either because I just didn't think I would like orange daylilies, but I always seem to get some. Yesterday I ordered Electric Marmalade Magic and Primal Scream for fall delivery.

People will have to wear sunglasses when they come to my garden next year:)

Vickie

• Waitforspring
    14 years ago

Jean, I thought for the longest time that I didn't like orange either. Now I have a bed devoted to "hot" colors including oranges. I think Octoberfest may have to be an addition. Always knew I liked purple so Kansas Kitten is on the list.
    Val

• shive
    14 years ago

Octoberfest looks like an irresistible orange. Orange is one of my least favorite colors, but that one does reach out and grab you.

Debra

• carefreeplants_2008
    14 years ago

Thanks for posting 'June Hudson'. It's very nice!

What a beautiful picture of Oktoberfest. It is also blooming here, too. Wonderful tall scapes and lots of buds!

Bj

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

Those are beautiful. It appears lilies can withstand the heat better than we can. Normally I don't like orange lilies (because of the ubiquitous ditch lilies all over the place here), but I'll make an exception for that one! Love the purple and just drove by a lady's house w/front yard chocked full of perennials, spotted what I thought was an unusual daylily but didn't want to get out of the car there, looked kind of like your pinkish one.

Are you the one I talked to last year about Brave Heart? I bought some on ebay but never got them planted, too tired by then. Whew, hit a key and almost lost this. I'm losing it lol.

I'll look forward to more of your photos.

I ordered just a few iris from Wild's and as an afterthought, asked about Brave Heart. She said it was on the list, took my order for 3 and said they'd call if it was not available. It's not in their catalog or online one this year.

So I'll feel extremely fortunate if it comes, still don't know where to put them. Aren't they a little shorter than most?

Your colors were so intense on that. There is another photo on the web, and it's raspberry but not as pretty as yours. Is yours in part shade or shaded by other plants? Soil and zone could make a dif, too, also the way cameras capture colors, time of day, and transmitted through umpteen servers before it shows up on my monitor, which could be off a bit, never calibrated it like you're supposed to.

You did well with the photos standing in that heat. Maybe you have the ac on, and it's almost worse going out in the heat than not running it sometimes. Right now I'm using my commercial fans but will probably have to turn on the ac soon. It's really humid because of all the rain we've had which makes it feel hotter, but cooled down nicely now.

Sometimes I envy people who live in the south that they can grow things we can't. But then I think of the summer heat there, and it gets just as bad here but not prolonged like for you.

• jean_ar
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Linda;Thank you.
    RITA.Every time I think of orange daylilies,I think of the Ditch Lilies and to me they are not pretty.I have a few of them one of my daughters gave me many years ago,and I swear I don't think you can kill the things.I will see later as I sprayed some Roundup on some of them,where I just didn't want them to start growing..The ones you sent me,I love them.Maybe it makes a difference seeing them in person,and also they are growing now in MY yard.The bloooms are much bigger then the ditch lily,,so much more prettier, too :-))))
    CONNIE: The squirrels are not standing the heat here very good.They are staying in their nests till sundown around here.
    VICKIE: My daughters came here and first thing they said was GEE MOM,WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME I NEED SUNSHADES TO COME IN THE YARD, referring to the orange daylilies :-))

VAL: I didn't like orange DL's or I thought I didn't,until the ones I have was give to me,and I just fell in love with these blooms.So bright and pretty.

DEBRA; Yes this Oktoberfest does reach out and grab you and say LOOK AT ME,LOOK AT ME, AIN'T I BIG AND PRETTY?
    BJ:The scapes on mine are not real tall,but might get there after it gets planted in the ground,and I have only had it since april.
    aliska12000 Yes,I am the one you talked to last year about getting BRAVEHEART.Mine is about 28 inch tall,IF its indeed BRAVEHEART,which I am not sure thats what it is.The info I found on it says its a cream with a dk purple eye,and mine is not a cream.It also said its a 5 inch bloom which mine is not that either.Might be 4 inch,maybe.I like it anyway as its a bright one.

Jean

• tarheelbelle
    14 years ago

These are all beauties! Putting Oktoberfest on my wishlist. I didn't like orange either until this year. Now the oranges and yellows seem to jump out at me everywhere I go. lol Added June Hudson this year and it's a beautiful flower. I enjoy all your posts. Please keep them coming!
    Michelle

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

Oktoberfest is not one of those hideously tall daylilies but I also have it and its the tallest thing in my daylily plateau in the back yard. When it blooms, no one is going to not notice it :-))

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    14 years ago

Kansas Kitten has been on my short list for awhile. Your picture put in on my must have list. Always enjoy your photos and comments. Hope there's more to come. Stay cool

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio