SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ocelaris

Integrating Conifers into a new planting, perennial bed

ocelaris
10 years ago

Hello, I'm in the planning process this winter of laying out a new planting for our house. We purchased it in Nov 2012 and last year I ripped out the foundation plantings which were a mess. It was a mix of azaleas, barberries, yews, and junipers. 5' tall Yews were lining the driveway hindering views etc... It all came out and I'm starting over. I put in irrigation, planted a new elite Kentucky Blue Grass lawn, and am gearing up for the perennial and woody shrubs, and I'd like to incorporate some conifers into the foundation plantings.

I'm a fairly advanced gardener, but new to conifers, and shrubs, so I'm looking for some suggestions on size and layout, I found a couple of great sites to purchase small plants, but I was hoping on some ideas on integrating them with shrubs and perennials. I plan on planting probably 20 or 30 varieties of Perennials this winter, via the winter sowing method. But I'm thinking the Conifers will be the Skeleton of the front house plantings, and trying to see what fits in the "medium" tall size.

Basically I want to have a fair amount of conifers for full season beauty but not at the expense of deciduous shrubs/perennials. I will have some shrubs and rose bushes, clematis, some bulbs, and plenty of Perennials. But I'm hoping over time (when I have less energy to do gardening) the Conifers as they get larger will become more the focal point and the perennials will be less so.

I see that a lot of people have mostly/all conifer gardens and I was hoping someone could point me in a direction of integrating that with other plants, such that you're highlighting the conifers and not blocking them with Perennials/shrubs etc...

Also this is going to be in front of the house, so 8' tops for height (if it's a beautiful specimen it could get bigger, but it must be a very long time). I'm very fond of some of these dwarf Mugo Pines, and I'll be sure to give plenty of room long term for them. I'm pretty much opposed to the standard foundation plantings that end up being a big mush of a hedge over time. I want specific conifers to be the center/focal point and I'm willing to wait for them to grow to full size.

The front of the house is South facing, and I'm in Zone 7a, near NYC. Here's a few cool links with mail order, but I'm looking for something that can anchor the front of the house, long term plant that won't block too much view from the front of the house. Also any nursery suggestions would be appreciated as well.

Thanks, Bill

Carter's Cool Plants
Conifer Kingdom

Before and after 1 year apart. and the bottom is a sprinkler layout, and the hashed areas are roughly where the plant beds will be going, though I'm not absolutely settled on a straight bed across the front, but generally there is extra watering for those areas, and the rest will be grass for kicking a soccer ball around etc...

{{gwi:86658}}
{{gwi:233469}}
{{gwi:233470}}

Comments (27)