SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nolefan_2006

Choosing a fig for Jacksonville FL (8b/9a)

nolefan_2006
11 years ago

Hello,

I've been doing research on figs, trying to pick the best one for my zone. These forums have been great. I have a good bit of experience with garden vegetables, azaleas, hydrangeas, camellias, gardenias, shrubbery in general, knock out roses and some ornamental trees like flowering pears and St. Lukes Plum. However, I don't have experience with figs.

I'm looking for advice on what would do best in my area. Ideally I'd like something that might bear fruit more than once a year. But, my back yard is small and I don't really necessarily want to plant something that's going to become HUGE.

I've been considering the black jack from Monrovia. But, I think it only fruits once a year. Brown turkey sounds good, but may be too large for me (although I might be able to plant it on the southern side of my back yard and it could shade my macrophyllas (which get hammered by sun from 10 am until 5 pm when the sun sets behind some oaks in my side yard. My wife would prefer that I get something "smaller" on the order of 6-8 feet, but understands if I need to buy something that will become larger.

I'm also interested in Celeste. But, I don't know a lot about it.

Here in Jacksonville, more than any other place I've lived, I have had to deal with lots of pests. My knockouts were hammered with black spot mold (potassium carbonate seemed to actually make it worse..). My ornamentals get lots of fungus even when I don't irrigate. My gardenias haven't been hit with white flies, yet, but I know it's only a matter of time. My Zoysia (Emerald) was pretty badly damaged, suddenly, by sod webworms in July and hasn't bounced back yet. My camellias get scale pretty badly even though I use horticultural oil.

My azaleas have also gotten fungus! Copper has become my friend...

It's a nice place to live, but the climate is conducive to bug and fungus proliferation. We also get freezes in the winter. Usually nothing that a few well placed sheets can't can't handle.

With that said, I'd like to purchase a fig that is the right plant for the right microclimate. I'd prefer not to fight more battles with pests/fungus than absolutely necessary.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do? What would my best options be? I'm good friends with the people down at Trad's Nursery, but before I go down and talk to them I wanted to be a little better informed.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH