SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dyhgarden

And the rains finally came (lots of Pix)

DYH
15 years ago

We had a great rainfall last night, so I went out into the garden this morning to take some photos.

The tithonia are blooming more now. I have a group of younger plants, too. So I was glad to see someone here mention planting these staggered for bloom.

{{gwi:579104}}

I love agastache Acapulco 'Salmon and Pink'. The garden is so fragrant with this one! It's over 3 feet tall and 2 feet wide. It will bloom until frost. I had 3 original plants from fall 2005 that I've already divided and spread throughout the butterfly garden. Some are still small, but all of the "kids" are flourishing.

{{gwi:579103}}

{{gwi:579109}}

I couldn't wait for Echinops 'Ritro' to be in full bloom because I got so excited seeing the color come out:

{{gwi:579100}}

The agastache 'Blue Fortune' is in the foreground. I wish it were more vivid. It seems so washed out, but the butterflies love it.

My favorite echinacea 'Ruby Star'. I'm thinking of getting more of these when I can find them and planting them with the Agastache 'Salmon and Pink'. The monarda (I tried not to get too much in the photo) is starting to fade and I want a longer-blooming companion for the 'Ruby Star'.

{{gwi:256887}}

This is interesting. The petunias are volunteers, but they work with the purple heuchera and the phlox 'Robert Poore' phlox. I'm going to try to continue expanding the phlox here. I think it's working for me. This is right by the front door (no deer, inside the fence).

{{gwi:15475}}

We had a big storm an hour ago. I ran outside and took these photos to show WHY we have a rain garden and a dry stream bed to handle our downspout water and meadow runoff during a rain.

Some "after storm" and "before storm" comparisons:

{{gwi:579106}}

The water on my stepping stones was moving and about 6" deep. It will run off within a few hours and the moisture-loving plants will be happy.

Before the rain:

This is the point where the rain garden dumps into the dry streambed:

{{gwi:581747}}

{{gwi:581749}}

Same spot, taken from other side:

{{gwi:38759}}

I need to get off of this computer and go to the grocery store! Later!

Cameron

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery