SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gracekelly4

Privacy Fence

gracekelly
15 years ago

Coming out of lurkdom for some assistance. We have a privacy fence in our backyard, about 45 feet across, and I am looking for a fast growing tree/bush to plant so we're not looking into the back neighbors house. My preference is to have something that flowers, attracts hummers and/or butterflies and grows fast. I had a beautiful powder puff bush in the back that was growing nicely but I'm afraid I lost it in the freeze. I also have a very, very small Loquat tree; maybe 5 feet tall but only 3 branches and very few leaves. We've been here over a year now and I'm tired of looking at my neighbors! Thanks for all your suggestions! I love this site!!!

Comments (21)

• linchat
    15 years ago

Firebush is loved by hummers, grows VERY FAST, kind of flowers and butterflys love it. Also native and fairly drought resistant. In 2 years they will be 10 tall, that is with trimming for bushing. In a year, probably a good 4-6 foot tall. I have 6 firebush against the house and they are huge.

Cocoplum is another option. Grows moderately fast. Expect 6 foot in 2 years. Not much for flowering (visually), but they are a nectar plant. Also, native and fairly drought resistant once established. A well maintained cocoplum plant is a thing of beauty. Often times you will see them and they look raggidy and out of control. If they are trimmed and thrown some love, they are very nice indeed. Consider growing a small flowering hedge for additional color. Though I think the coloful leaves of cocoplum are enough. Also, I lined my 6 foot fence with cocoplum.

Here is a picture of my side fence with cocoplum running the length. Mixed in with magnolia, orange and grapefruit tree's. Made a little garden in front of them and mulched. Those little fellows out front are green peppers and some tomatoe.

This is an older picture things have grown a bit and I have since trimmed. :)

• gracekelly
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for your suggestions. Your yard is beautiful! I am glad you mentioned florida natives because that is exactly what I am looking for. I should also mention that whatever I plant back there is going to get full sun. I'm going to have to look into the firebush. That looks interesting.

More suggestions welcome!
    Thanks.

• Related Discussions

Landscaping Along Privacy Fence

Q

Comments (6)
    Gosh, there are so many to choose from, it's hard to know where to start!! I would pick a mix of evergreen and deciduous to get structure and winter interest as well as flowers. berries, stem or foliage color. I would go to the best local nursery you can find and look through their offerings to see what you like. Rhododendrons, Mt laurel, hollies, boxwood, dwarf conifers, cherry laurel, ninebark, flowering quince, forsythia, hydrangea, clethra, rose of Sharon, smokebush, weigela, spireae, roses, lilacs, shrub dogwoods and willows and viburnums are just a few that come to mind. A couple of small trees would work well also - crabapple, Japanese maple, even a couple of the aforementioned shrubs trained as a standard. Pick some thing that will be in flower early (forsythia? quince?) and something that will flower late. Choose something with berries or interesting seed pods or colored bark to hold winter interest. And you can use taller grasses and vines as well as shrubs and a few perennials.
    ...See More

Privacy Fence galvanized post to wood rail installation question.

Q

Comments (1)
    You might want to cross post this in home repairs.
    ...See More

Back deck privacy fence ideas

Q

Comments (19)
    I agree with Beth about the color for the top part...if you also sanded the posts to the cedar it'll pull it together nicely. I like your fence work, especially the woven privacy fence.
    ...See More

Shrubs for North side of privacy fence

Q

Comments (5)
    There is enough clearance as the driveway is pretty wide. The planting area between the driveway and the fence is three feet wide so there is room, just not for your typical trees. Columnar trees or other trees with upright growth would be suitable. My intention is to have some shrubs and groundcover like hostas. I'm sure hostas or ferns will do well since they are full shade. I just would like some shrubs to add height and add interest to the fence. I've researched and Mountain Laurel might work. Just curious if others on here had experience with a similar situation where there was a Northern exposure along a fence. The area is bright but it is all indirect sunlight.
    ...See More
  • linchat
    15 years ago

You can also check out Florida Waterwise it is a site for Xeriscaping in Florida with allot of plant reference material. And since you live in Florida you can order the book for free (at least are taxes are paying for something of some use! :) ). These two plants I mentioned, based on your needs, are probably the best. Native and Fast Growing and both love the sun or partial shade.

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Waterwise

• linchat
    15 years ago

I sent the wrong link berore this is the updated link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Waterwise

• solstice98
    15 years ago

Hi Pam,
    You'll want firebush for the hummingbirds. Even a small plant will grow into something fairly large and bushy.

Vines on fences are always nice.
    - The blue sky vine grown by many of our webbers is beautiful and should do well in your area.
    - I have a coral vine that I love and it's a great attractor of hummingbirds too. I may have lost it during the last freeze but if it comes back I'll be happy to share as many cuttings as you want. They would fill the fence within a year or two.
    - There's a sunflowery vine too that's really pretty but I can't think of the name of it.... CRS... a symptom of old age, I guess.

Kate

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    15 years ago

Fiddlewood - Citharexylum fruticosum - is a native that flowers, is drought and cold tolerant, and will grow to 8' in less than 2 years.

Mix this with Cocoplum, also a native and cold tolerant, as mentioned above.

• laura1
    15 years ago

One thing that wasn't mentioned is that firebush FREEZES. I'm hoping that mine will come back from the ground!
    Watler's viburnum (not the compact one) or better yet Simpson Stopper are both native and grew pretty fast for me. They flower and one or both (can't remember) have berries.

• solstice98
    15 years ago

Laura, I didn't cover my firebush and although the leaves have turned a nice fall-hued red around the edges, it doesn't appear to have frozen. I think it will leaf out again.

Kate

• imagardener2
    15 years ago

Bamboo...bamboo...bambooooo. But only the clumping kind not the invasive (running) kind.

We put it on both sides down the lot line for screening. It has done wonders and no issues with the cold weather. We have about 5 different kinds but my favorite is white bamboo (not really white just frosty green).

Denise

• tomncath
    15 years ago

I'm with Denise, but not everyone likes bamboo. Still, if you want to block out your neighbors yard in 3-4 years and have some quick shade bamboo is the way to go...look at my pictures half way down this post.

• wanna_run_faster
    15 years ago

Tithonia aka Mexican Sunflower would work. You can root it directly in the ground and it will definitely block the neighbors by the end of summer. It does well left alone or with a hard pruning depending on the look you are going for. Plus you can keep taking cuttings and cover the entire 45' so you don't have to have a big outlay for plants initially. And the flowers are lovely! If MaNature is out there maybe she can direct you to her posted pictures of hers in zone 9.

• natives_and_veggies
    15 years ago

I have a mixed hedge with various things you don't want (and we're going to gradually take out) sprinkled in with crotons. They'll stay. We love them.

They don't work well as a tightly maintained (sheared) hedge. They get large and may need something planted underneath them to make a really good screen. As Ricky will tell you, they're really small trees, not large bushes.

To accomplish that, I have put in simple stuff under and in front of them, stuff that's available in any big box, a couple plumbagos in one spot, a coontie in another, a split leaf philodendron in another, even some little pentas and bromeliads in one place where I didn't really need to screen the neighbors, just hide the trunks of the crotons. I don't know if any of these do well in your area, but down here, they're very similar to natives in their needs. And I see native butterflies on my plumbagos.

I like a mixed look that's not just horizontal but also vertical, seems more natural to me.

Another sort-of native (there's some debate on it) is golden dewdrop. Again, I'm not sure if it will work up there, but down here, I love it.

Susannah

• gatormomx2
    15 years ago

Make your planting beds deep and wide .
    Give your plants or trees LOTS of room to live away from the actual fence .
    You will be amazed at how large some things will grow in just 3 to 5 years .
    Loquats get to be 25 to 30 feet tall .
    They can be trimmed and shaped and even espaliered .
    Firebush gets huge if it is happy .
    Durantas ( Golden Dewdrop ) grow 15 feet tall and can be pruned to a single stalk like a tree .
    My hedge of Tithonia was 20 feet tall this summer .
    All will grow well for you in Lake Mary and can all be made from cuttings .
    No need to spend money if you can get freebie cuttings .
    Bamboo would be an excellent choice .
    Ask happy_fl_gardener about hers . She has some gorgeous varieties !
    Luckily , you have many choices .

• castorp
    15 years ago

This is off topic, but I just wanted to say I love your handle, Gracekelly. I feel like we're talking gardening with the movie star!

On topic, I second the concerns about the plants that freeze. Your powderpuff will probably come back. They do around here anyway, and I'm north of you, up in DeLand. Firebushes will come back too but it often takes them a long time.

You may want something solid and ever green as a back drop. The walter's viburnum mentioned above as worked pretty well for me. Some of the hollies come to mind. If you have room you could plant vines/perennials in front of the hedge, so you'd have the best of everything.

Bill

• gracekelly
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow! Thank you all so much for responding!

Firebush - How far away from the fence would I plant it, and where is the best place to get it (HD, Lukas - pricey)?

Solstice98 - I would love to take you up on your offer for some blue sky vine cuttings! Thank you! I do have 2-3 varieties of honeysuckle and passionvine but I'm waiting to see if they come back after the freeze. The leaves are brown and they're very sad looking right now.

Laura1 - I have heard that Simpson Stopper is very slow growing. Is that not the case? Does this grown in full sun? I would love to try this as well. Again, where is the best place to purchase Simpson Stopper?

imagardener2 - I love bamboo but it's soooo expensive. The white bamboo sounds really pretty. Do you have a source?

I'm going to have to look into the Tithonia (sounds very interesting) and the Durantas and walters viburnum.

I spent so much time last spring and summer getting my garden cut out, mulched and planted and I'm pretty sure I've lost over half of what I planted. I'm definitely planting florida native, cold hardy, heat and drought tolerant plants from now on. I would love to trade cuttings but I'm afraid everything I had is gone; however, once I get things started again I will be more than happy to share cuttings.

Thanks again everyone for all your suggestions!

PS Castorp, my 4 legged daughter's name is Amazing Grace and the kennel name of her papa is Kelly, hence the handle gracekelly:-)

• solstice98
    15 years ago

Oh I'm sorry if I wasn't clear: I have the coral but not the blue sky vine. My firebush is still alive though if you want cuttings of that. And I have a porterweed you can put along the fence too - that's another great plant for hummingbirds and butterflies.

Kate

• gracekelly
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Solstice98. I would like to take you up on your very generous offer for the coral vine, firebush and porterweed. I've never done this before so I'll need instructions. I can send you postage if you like.

• tamrootbeer
    14 years ago

I was following this thread as we also have CLOSE neighbors...but just found this and thought I would mention it...If you have a porch or pool,it might be perfect...

http://privacycurtains.net

They even have a video on YouTube here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRExAe6ImCo&feature=channel_page

Here is a link that might be useful: Flek's Outdoor Curtains

• cjc45
    14 years ago

Make a visit to Biosphere Consulting in Winter Garden. http://www.biospherenursery.com/
    They specialize in native and non-invasive plants. The staff is very knowledgeable about what will freeze and whether it will come back. You can also see for yourself what the butterflies like, the place is usually full of them.

• yuliana
    14 years ago

Tom, love your bamboo! I think that's exactly what I need for my fence line too.

Where did you get it?

Can I propogate my own if I let's say buy one plant, and then later make more of it? ;)

• florah
    14 years ago

My firebush froze completely, now comes back from the roots.The firebush is the tiny green stick between the two plumbagos on the left. (photo was taken today)

My coral honeysuckle - lonicera sempervirens - grew right through the cold spells, blooms constantly and is said to attract humming birds. It's the bushes in the back (arbor is on order).
    {{gwi:801310}}