SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

What plants have you given up growing?

What plants have you given up growing...or buying new ones of? And did you give up growing them because you had trouble growing them, or they did not like your situation? Or was it a plant you just didn't like much and were unimpressed with?

Some of the plants I have "given up on" are still in the garden, but I don't buy new ones of them. Sometimes they just pop up by seed from the parent plant. Most of them are just too unreliable for me.

Delphinium. I have one beautiful blue one that loves where it is planted. It is amazing! But if I try to grow it any place else it will not thrive.

Monarda- for the same reason above. I have exactly two kinds of Beebalm, but refuse to buy any more even though I love them. I moved each plant around five times or so until I found spots that it did not shrivel from mildew! I guess I should be glad to get even those two to grow well, lol!

Coneflowers and Coralbells- the new kinds at least. I have the old types of Echinacea that suit me fine. I have a couple survivors of the newer Heuchera left. I simply will not buy more.

Coreopsis. I have quite a few ones left in the garden from the original plants reseeding. I do like the look of them, but don't want to buy more. They are just not reliable; they seem to bloom themselves to death. And any seedlings that pop up do not do so in the original spot. I don't like it when plants move on me, especially if I really wanted one in that particular spot, lol!

Foxglove- I have given up on all together. They just are not worth it. I bought plants and they rotted out. I planted seed and they didn't come up. Last year there was a stray seed that came up and I had a beautiful Foxglove. But it seems when I set out to grow them they just won't take.

How about you guys?

CMK

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations