SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonsaist

Blue Giant

17 years ago

I'm currently in San Antonio, Tx. working for 2 weeks. I found a farmers market today, I was happy to see farmers selling figs. Incredible price, I paid $3 for 2-3 pounds. There were 3 types of figs being sold. The one farmer was selling Blue Giant fig, It seems purple in color and very large, inside is pink. Flavor is great. The guy told me that it's only available at Fannicks nursery. So I drove there and bought the 1 gallon tree. He showed me the original tree, said it was there for the past 60 years, Fannick has a patent on it.

In the discribtion at pitanga's site, mentions that it's a brown turkey. The flavor and the color is really different. Also mentioned in the site that it's a long season variety, the tree was filled with ripe fig in mid july, so i'm gonna give it a try in pennsylvania.

It's also odd, I bought from the market what they called "celeste", but it's yellow fig, with honey like pulp. Excellent flavor.

I also wanted to get a cold hardy avocado from "devine avocado", they're sold out.

Bass

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath