SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
irene_dsc

Hosting a plant swap?

irene_dsc
12 years ago

So, it seems like my friends & neighbors and I are always talking about giving away plants when we divide them, but it only rarely happens. I was thinking that maybe if I hosted a plant swap, more people would get organized and motivated to actually follow through! But, I'd love to get some feedback on how to organize one - ground rules and such. I'm in northern IL, and I'm thinking one of the first 2 weekends in October as cool enough to divide stuff (and I don't have anything else going on AFAIK). Tho I pretty much divide when I have a chance - let me know if I'm totally off base on that for my location. (I might do it as the first weekend, with the 2nd weekend as a rain date.)

Any tips? I don't want people fighting over plants or feeling like any of it is unfair. I'm hoping people will be generous with their plants and not greedy. And of course, understanding of any newbie gardeners who don't have anything to offer (tho I can't think of any on my mental list of people who might be interested.)

I'm thinking a Saturday afternoon would give people a chance to dig stuff up, and then a chance to plant them on Sunday?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County