SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grovegreenguy

Raspberries, what are you growing ?

FrozeBudd_z3/4
14 years ago

What varieties have you grown, which ones are of best quality and proven themselves hardy?

HereÂs a list of some oldies and some newcomers:

Bonye ... very good flavor, small berries (at least for me) ... I have removed them.

Red River ... primocane, poor flavor, have been removed.

Autumn Bliss ... primocane, excellent flavor and size, a late producer that is not hardy, been removed.

Kiwi Gold ... primocane, late, not hardy, also been removed.

Honey Queen ... large soft fruit, short plants

Royalty ... purple raspberry, unique flavor, only semi hardy, been removed.

Jewel ... black raspberry, small seedy berries, plant is not hardy, though had been protected and wintered well  will be discared.

Wyoming Purple ... unique flavor, smallish berries, rather hardy, vicious thorns! I have some hybrids of these selected for having few thorns and good fruit quality.

Sweet Treat ... not hardy, discarded.

Polana ... primocane, one of the earliest to produce on the new canes, though later than Red River  will need late summer heat to mature the crop. The old canes had wintered relatively well, flavor is good, needs another few seasons to determine if itÂs a keeper.

Viking ... a thornless variety with good flavor, though berries easily drop when ripe. My plantings are comprised mainly of this old timer.

* I have crossed Viking with Autumn Bliss and have some rather good selections with very large fruit that adhere better than Viking.

For those that are growing Red Mammoth, please tell me about it ?

HereÂs one of my hybrids

Terry

Comments (136)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!