User
14 years ago

Desert King 60 grams,as a breba it deserve :10

Sweet Georg:40 gram,as a breba it deserve :9

H2

Comments (13)

• johnsvmf
    14 years ago

Herman what do you do with the desert king main crop figs?

• leon_edmond
    14 years ago

Herman:
    Is your Desert King from Burnt Ridge?

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

John:I let my granddoughter eat them,This year only 4 fruits.
    Yes Leon,It is from Burnt Ridge Nursery.
    I have another one from Antonio Espo,and that one is identical to this one too.
    Best Regards

• johnsvmf
    14 years ago

Herman sorry I asked my question poorly. I understand your breba crop yielded 4 figs but from your pictures it looks like the tree is loaded with main crop figs. It is also my understanding the Desert King main crop doesn't ripen in the NE. Is that your understanding and if so do you leave the main crop alone and let it eventually drop or do you pick the embryos so the plant can come on stronger the next spring?

My Zumwalt has a considerable number of main crop figs and is either closely related to DK or is in fact a DK. I have about 50 main crop embryos and I am considering knocking off 40. Hopefully if the main crop doesnÂt need Caprifigation I can encourage the main crop to ripen. If there is no chance of the main crop ripening I don't see any benefit to leaving them on the tree.

V/r
    Vinnie

• paully22
    14 years ago

Vinnie - Herman cited not to get rid of main crop figs of DK in Figs4Fun Forum recently. Doing so can affect the breba crop for the following year. Both my young DK are loaded with main crop now. Unfortunately last year I pinched off all main crop & since Herman comments, it made sense as to why I have so few brebas this year compared to last year.

Paully.

• johnsvmf
    14 years ago

Paully,

Thanks for relaying the info, I'm glad I asked, Up until now I have made poor decisions when it has come to my DK/Zumwalt. Prior to this year I would heavily prune the tree in the fall and spring. Maybe next year I will get dozens of breba figs instead of 6 or 7. Thanks again!

Vinnie

• loslunasfarms
    14 years ago

As a heads up, all of my main crop of Zumwalt figs have fallen off.

• alb419_ny
    14 years ago

Vasile,
    is there more then one variety of DK?If i remember correctely someone posted a picture of a Dk.with red interior,thank you Giuseppe

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Vinnie:Yes I live them on,because they will fall by Themself.
    Also,it is imperative to leave them on ,on this San Pedro Cultivar.
    To Giuseppe:The interior color varies,from Climate to climate,and from year to year.
    You would think,it is a different fig,but is not.
    Happy Gardening
    H2

• paully22
    14 years ago

The DK that I have & others that I have enjoyed have reddish interior. I have heard there are more than one variety of DK but have not seen one. I have 3 DK -- all from different sources and 2 of them are 3 ft tall with no brebas but one has lots of main crop. Will post if they are different.

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I do not want to argument with anybody,But I will say it Again.
    This Very Fig,in above pixes,had Very red interior last year.
    H2

• dwarffigjim
    14 years ago

herman1
    i planted my firt dwaft fig last year, cut back in fall, gto 1 very nice size and great taste breba (i think, on old wood)& harvested about a month ago. Then got lots of beautiful leaves, grew to 3ft. got no main crop. Read on this blog to prune leaves back to 6, then should get main crop. I did that, but are getting many more tiny leaves. no figs. i think i might have waited to long to cut back leaves. do you think i will get any figs.
    I bought plant from Gurney's who sold as Italian honey fig. Iam not sure if it is. I've been trying to confirm from info online, but i can't confirm definitiely.
    please help
    thanks!!

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

dwarffigjim:Your fig is very young and is still growing,and not producing many figs at this stage.
    I wold not be allarmed yet.
    Let it grow this Sommer as big as it can,and do not pinch the tips anymore.
    I think,you pinched the tips of branches and not the leaves as you are writting.
    Any way,Next year,Pinch the tips after the sixth leaf,and you will have all kind of fruits growing,as main crop.
    For this year,even if the embryo will appear now,there is not time for them to get ripe unless you have a Greenhouse to prolong the Season.
    If you have Embryos appearing after August 15 Brake them Off,so the tree keeps growin,because they will not get ripe due to lack of Sommer time.
    Hope this will help
    H2

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals