SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
token28001

Five Drought Tolerant Plants.

token28001
13 years ago

In my second summer with very little rain, I've come to realize there are some plants that perform very well with little to no extra moisture. They wilt during the day, but every morning they look great.

1. Echinacea. Any and all of them have done extremely well with little rain over the past couple months and 90+ degrees.

2. Rudbeckia fulgida. Hirta doesn't do as well. I just bought 12 of these perennials.

3. Sedums. No arguments here. Just keeps on keeping on.

4. Agastache. Purple and white are the ones I have. Hoping to add a lot more this year via wintersowing.

5. Coreopsis "Full Moon". Love this one. Large flowers, tall plants. Hardly any flopping.

I'm going to redo the yard this winter/next spring with divisions from these 5 varieties. I'm removing all the poor performers. Adding in a few hardy hibiscus, some daylilies, butterfly bushes, and grasses, I should have a nice cottage garden, still.

Melampodiums and zinnias are the annuals I'll keep. Everything else will need to find a new home. What are your 5 favorite perennials for drought conditions?

Comments (9)

Sponsored